Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

fe1hunzo wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Having difficulty finding the actual syllabus online for any of the exams? Is there one's online any where at all?
    Also where is best site/place to purchase the legislations for the exams? I have some of them from my undergrad and masters but need a few others.

Thanks.

It's on the LS website.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/fe-1/fe1syllabus.pdf

This is from the Spring 2017 sitting but they don't really change it.

As for legislation; Amazon or Easons are good for the books. The Succession Act and LCLRA can be ordered by emailing the Office of Public Works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SagarMudgal

Hi all, would anyone be generous enough to share with me up to date Equity, Criminal and Contract exam grids?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

aherns2 wrote: »
    Thank you so much for this. I'm literally filling out the application for and deciding between contrast and equity but maybe I should just put both. I'm only thinking volume of study with 4...I was planning on going hell for leather on just three. I'm working full time with kids so trying to be as realistic as possible. Will doing four versus three kill me study wise...
    I was the same, unsure on 3 or 4 - I took my chance and did 3. I was afraid I would've spread myself too thin if I did 4. It worked for me, got there by the skin of my teeth so know there would've been no way I would've gotten the magic 3 if I had done 4! But everyone is different!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjaybcjayb

Does anyone have exam grids for Criminal and/or Tort? I have exam grids for Equity, EU and Company to swap! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mollybeure

Hi All,

Have only been able to get my hands on the 2015 Land manual, would this be alright or too out-dated?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Hello All,

Would any kind soul please forward me an up to date Criminal grid.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

mollybeure wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have only been able to get my hands on the 2015 Land manual, would this be alright or too out-dated?

Thanks.

That should be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Hi all,

It's my first time doing FE1s. I had intended doing criminal, tort , contract and eu.

I'm about a third through contract and criminal and half through tort. I've started EU but finding it very dense and getting anxious that I won't be able to finish it in time.

Should I just sign up for the three or is that too risky? Should I take a different fourth subject ? If so which is easiest to learn (I've done a Law degree so have previously covered most just not equity).

Any advice would be really appreciated. Feel totally clueless.

PS: I'm not working ATM studying about 6/7 hours day mon-fri.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Hi all,

It's my first time doing FE1s. I had intended doing criminal, tort , contract and eu.

I'm about a third through contract and criminal and half through tort. I've started EU but finding it very dense and getting anxious that I won't be able to finish it in time.

Should I just sign up for the three or is that too risky? Should I take a different fourth subject ? If so which is easiest to learn (I've done a Law degree so have previously covered most just not equity).

Property and Criminal are both have significantly shorter syllabuses with key topics coming up nearly every sitting - would be an easier third option to EU if becoming stuck for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LexJura2737

mollybeure wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks.

Hi I passed in March of this year using the 2013 Manual, you'll be fine with 2015.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hi all,

Further to the suggestion of Criminal, I'd also say that if you've previously studied Company Law (in particular post-2014 Act), I'd consider that.

You also have the bonus of being allowed the Act in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have the March paper for Tort, EU, Company and Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anastaciag94

cjaybcjayb wrote: »
    Does anyone have exam grids for Criminal and/or Tort? I have exam grids for Equity, EU and Company to swap! :-)

I have an exam grid for tort up to March 2016 if that's alright?

Property and Criminal are both have significantly shorter syllabuses with key topics coming up nearly every sitting - would be an easier third option to EU if becoming stuck for time.

Thanks Redhighking. I'm already doing criminal and considering replacing EU with property as I haven't really started EU yet.

If I started studying EU now would I be prepared ? I'm not working so good bit of study time.

Robbo wrote: »
    Further to the suggestion of Criminal, I'd also say that if you've previously studied Company Law (in particular post-2014 Act), I'd consider that.

You also have the bonus of being allowed the Act in the exam.

Thanks Robbo.
    I have previously studied company but not too confident on it as was the first year with the new act before any text book etc.

Wondering if anyone could tell me how many pages and chapter is in the independent colleges manual for property? Trying to judge if it's a quick one to take . TIA

Wondering if anyone could tell me how many pages and chapter is in the independent colleges manual for property? Trying to judge if it's a quick one to take . TIA

230 pages. But you can cut out lots of chapters - look at the grid and cut out chapters 2 to 8/9 (or something like that)

Hi! Did anyone who sat Tort in March 2017 remember what the questions were?
    If anyone wants to know what the questions were for Criminal, Property, EU or Equity in March I have the papers so PM if you want to know :)

230 pages. But you can cut out lots of chapters - look at the grid and cut out chapters 2 to 8/9 (or something like that)

Thanks for your reply. I'm not planning on totally leaving any topics out good to know easy to focus on certain ones over others.

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone have the March paper for Tort, EU, Company and Equity?

I have EU, Company and Equity. New to Boards so not sure how I can send you them. PM me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody knows are we allowed highlight the legislation that we can bring to the exams with us or are we only allowed to tab the pages? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere! All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Hi everyone I was wondering if anybody knows are we allowed highlight the legislation that we can bring to the exams with us or are we only allowed to tab the pages? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere! All the best

You can both tab and highlight - all legislation is handed in before the exam and is on your allocated desk on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Has anyone sat Tort, Equity, Company or EU?
    Is there chapters safe to leave out or is it advisable to cover every single topic?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

I went on about this quite a bit when I was sitting these exams and it seems to be coming up fairly frequently, so here's my advice, for what it's worth, on picking and choosing your exam topics.

Cover everything: everything on the syllabus is examinable and it doesn't matter if it came up in the last sitting or hasn't been asked for years. Lately people seem to be very focused on the grids but there have been quite a few instances over the last four or five sittings where the most popular and obvious questions didn't appear at all in a number of papers. If you are unable or unwilling to cover everything, at least be smart about what you leave out. You only have to do 5 out of 8 questions so realistically you can leave out 2-3 topics completely and still be fine. For example: when I did Tort I left out Defamation and Professional Negligence. Both came up but I still had six questions to choose from.

Look at the past exam papers and the examiners' reports. Some exams are almost all self-contained questions which makes it easier to omit some topics. Others will have a mix of topics in the problem questions in particular so you run the risk of being able to do two thirds of a question but immediately cutting your maximum potential marks if you can't do the last bit.

Also, if you are going to omit topics, make sure you know the ones that you are doing in detail. You have to be able to answer either problem or essay style questions and tackle it from whatever angle it's asked.

I know there are people who will say they have gone in knowing the absolute minimum and everything they knew miraculously or otherwise appeared on the paper. That's great if you get that lucky. But these exams are expensive. They're a lot of hard work, especially over the summer when everyone else seems to be enjoying themselves. I don't know why you wouldn't do yourself justice and cover enough. Think of all the anxiety you'll be sparing yourself when you're not sitting there the night before, crossing your fingers and hoping that what you haven't done won't be on the paper.

Happy studying and best of luck :)

yournerd wrote: »
    Has anyone sat Tort, Equity, Company or EU?
    Is there chapters safe to leave out or is it advisable to cover every single topic?:confused:

For Equity and EU I cut a lot of chapters. Equity is quite a predictable paper.
    For EU I just cut a lot of chapters as I didn't really have the time to study everything.

It is more risky but at the same time I don't think you should cover EVERYTHING. You have to be smart about how you study as the courses are massive. I'd look at the past papers while studying and know the bits of the course you really have to know.
    Studying with the past papers was the best thing I did and it worked for me.

Then again if it makes you too anxious leaving out topics then perhaps you shouldn't. Different things work for different people!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Hi I passed in March of this year using the 2013 Manual, you'll be fine with 2015.

As long as it's after the LCLRA 09 ! :pac:

How could anyone study everything for EU! Or any exam ever tbh. You're a bit like me Bigdreamer123, I was studying while signing on, but I finally started my job now! I would take up an extra subject and go for the 4 if I was you - if you're doing 6 good hours of study a day(!) that sounds completely doable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm currently doing an evening course. I won't say which one because we're not allowed to identify individual lecturers. What I will say is that every lecturer has been quite practical when it comes to students cutting out topics.

My property lecturer, for example, identified the seven topics that absolutely need to be covered. Providing you're able to answer both succession questions, then those seven topics will be enough. You will always have five questions from those seven.

I'm over halfway through the course right now and I can say with confidence that all of my lecturers expect (at times, even borderline recommend us) to skip topics. That's the reality.

A word of warning on grids: some of the ones doing the rounds just list a topic, like Express Trusts, and then say what years it appeared. Instead try get your hands on the better grids, the ones that actually highlight what aspect of the question came up. That shouldn't stop your from studying the entire topics, but it'll help you zero in even further on what you need. It's all about maximising your time.

Also, look at the exam papers. Some of the questions repeat themselves, often word for word. I don't agree with 'preparing essays' because you might be forced to shoehorn that essay into a different type of answer on the day, something that the examiner's hate. However there are certain questions that are asked with such frequency, and with such little variation, that you'd be mad not to have even a skeleton answer in your head.

Finally (and I hope this doesn't sound rude), please don't ask me for grids, etc. I know some of my college's law staff personally and I don't feel okay about sharing their work.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sebko

Hi!

Would anyone be able to pass on a criminal/equity/property/tort law grids ?

Thanks in advance !

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Just want to get an opinion from anyone whos sat 5+

I've sat 3. I have Company, EU, Const, Tort in a row and then Property the week after. I'm not too worried about property, 4 days to study is plenty. My main issue is the 4 in a row.

Any tips for tackling such an arduous task? When should or can I have my final exam study notes prepared?

Right now, I have property course completely covered and for the rest, all about half covered. Am I in a good position, and can this be done? I'd like to get the 5 out of the way but with a family problem recently I've lost 2 weeks or so worth of study.

Any opinions would help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Hi everyone, sitting property in October and I am trying to which topics to cover - these are the 7 I know I will definitely be studying:

1. Down to Hell / Up to Heaven
    2. Systems of Land Registration
    3. Succession
    4. Co Ownership
    5. Licences / Rights of Residence
    6. Easements
    7. Adverse Possession

What others should I have a very good knowledge of?

And yes, I am aware that mortgages are important, but if it was at all possible I want to leave it out. I didn't learn it for my college property exam because I couldn't get my head around it then, and I still can't seem to now!

Thanks in advance :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement