Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Hi,

If anyone has up-to-date grids for EU, Equity, Property and Criminal, could you please send them on to me?

Many thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Free fallin 94

Im doing the exact same, and I reckon we'll definetely be covered. Due to the fact I'm doing 5 I wont have time to cover even mortgages to a high enough standard in my mind. But I reckon you should be sorted with them. I've passed 3, and I didn't end up sitting property in April, but I've studied it twice now and you sound very sorted there.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

Hi Freefallin
    I am going to do the same topics that you mentioned there.. So I think we will be well covered. What other exams will you be doing?
    What should be my main topics for equity and contract?
    For equity I have narrowed it to the following: But I would like to narrow it more, I wont be able to cover everything since I am starting a masters in September and I am working part time.
    1. All about injunctions
    2. Express Trusts
    3. resulting trusts
    4. trusteeship
    5.undue influence
    6.charitable trusts
    7. estoppel
    8. Rectification
    9. Satisfaction
    10. Tracing
    11. Constructive trusts
    12. Secret trusts
    13. quist-close
    14. cy-press
    15. specific performance

for Contract I have:
    1. Offer, acceptance and consideration
    2. estoppel
    3. mistake.
    4. discharge
    5. contract terms
    6. misrepresentation
    7.consumer protection
    8. exclusion clauses
    9. capacity
    10. privity of contract
    11. penalty clauses
    12. remedies
    Am I well covered for contract???
    TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

Mayo91 wrote: »
    Just want to get an opinion from anyone whos sat 5+
    Any tips for tackling such an arduous task? When should or can I have my final exam study notes prepared?

Right now, I have property course completely covered and for the rest, all about half covered. Am I in a good position, and can this be done? I'd like to get the 5 out of the way but with a family problem recently I've lost 2 weeks or so worth of study.

Any opinions would help

I would advise to have all exams fully "prepped" (revised, notes done, basics understood etc.) two weeks before the exams start at the very latest. That way you will have two full weeks to learn everything off. It took me on average studying full-time about 7-10 days to have my notes done for each exam and with that, I would have a general knowledge after taking my time doing the notes. After that, I would have the last two weeks to learn it the best I could.

I have six passed in two sittings and this is what works for me but of course, this does not mean that it will work for you and you're time table this time might not have been as generous as my past time tables.

Irrespective of whatever technique you use to deal with the dreaded exams just remember to give yourself plenty of time for revision and last minute learning.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

jewels652 wrote: »
    Hi Freefallin
    I am going to do the same topics that you mentioned there.. So I think we will be well covered. What other exams will you be doing?
    What should be my main topics for equity and contract?
    For equity I have narrowed it to the following: But I would like to narrow it more, I wont be able to cover everything since I am starting a masters in September and I am working part time.
    1. All about injunctions
    2. Express Trusts
    3. resulting trusts
    4. trusteeship
    5.undue influence
    6.charitable trusts
    7. estoppel
    8. Rectification
    9. Satisfaction
    10. Tracing
    11. Constructive trusts
    12. Secret trusts
    13. quist-close
    14. cy-press
    15. specific performance

for Contract I have:
    1. Offer, acceptance and consideration
    2. estoppel
    3. mistake.
    4. discharge
    5. contract terms
    6. misrepresentation
    7.consumer protection
    8. exclusion clauses
    9. capacity
    10. privity of contract
    11. penalty clauses
    12. remedies
    Am I well covered for contract???
    TIA

Glad to hear that those topics seem to be enough - there is no way I am covering the entire course! I'm doing criminal and EU - haven't started either, although I have most of the notes for EU because I was meant to do it in March but had to drop it last minute. Still very worried about my chances of passing 3 though. I have very little done for property and criminal.

I passed both contract and equity on my first sitting last time! PM me if you have any questions about either. Equity is quite a nice exam in my opinion. The topics aren't mixed so you don't have to worry about not being able to do parts of questions. Personally, I didn't cover charitable trusts or cy pres - didn't have the time - but I had plenty of choice. Estoppel is a very easy chapter to cover and comes up a lot, definitely do it. Undue influence is the exact same as for contract so you'll be sorted if it happens to come up in both exams. For the rest of the topics, I can't really say - look up last years exam papers to see what came up, and maybe you can narrow it down that way.

Contract is harder because the questions will be mixed so it's more of a gamble to leave anything out. As I said, I think it is handy to do undue influence - it's the exact same as for equity so you won't be learning anything new. I think you'll be fine with what you have there. I think I covered the same, plus illegal / void contracts and duress. I also left out the EU part of consumer protection because I just didn't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

For people who just finished college in may, what evidenc do you send in with your application form??

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

Hi,

About to send off the application for the October exams. Planning to do Company (college lecturer was v good and fresh in memory), EU (so as not to do in same sitting as Constitutional), Equity and Contract (due to overlap). Is this a sound choice?

Also, does anyone have up to date grids for these? Can only find ones up to 2013/2014.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭jewels652

yournerd wrote: »
    For people who just finished college in may, what evidenc do you send in with your application form??
    Hi,
    I rang the law faculty in ucc and told them I was going to do the fe1s and I need it some sort of evidence that I meet the requirements and they wrote a letter and posted it to my address the next day..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Hi,

So i have passed Property, Contract, Criminal and Equity in my first sitting so i am sitting the remaining 4 now.
    Just a few questions in relation to these exams:

Company:
    Does anybody bring in the legislation or is there anywhere to get it cheap?
    Also, with this exam I think they repeat the past questions so I presume the best way to study is look at the past paper?

EU:
    There is not a hope in hell of me studying all of this muck so does anybody have any suggestions on what to leave out? My lecturer basically says everything is important but i could not face learning it all and won't have the time either.

Constitutional:
    Again what topics would you recommend to leave out?

Tort:
    Again what topics would you recommend to leave out?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 clare2015

Hey all,i passed 8 in 2 sittings and not a recent graduate so any specific questions feel free to pm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

Does anyone know if you have to use the full case names or if you can just use one of the parties names like in colllege?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

yournerd wrote: »

I sent a copy of my results, and a signed letter from my course coordinator to confirm that I has successfully completed the final year of my undergraduate degree, pending the graduation ceremony. The letter alone should suffice.

:)

RyanMcG123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you have to use the full case names or if you can just use one of the parties names like in colllege?

The names of the parties will be absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice on equity. I am doing 3 exams in October and due to work I havent been able to fully crack into the study yet. I haven't looked at equity since first semester of my undergrad degree which is about 6 years ago.

I will tight on time as I am doing tort and property too, and I would like to know what people suggest are the vital topics that have to be learned in equity?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Would anyone have any tips of what to study for Constitutional law in this sitting? Any predictions from the courses would be much appreciated...it's waaaay too much to study all of it. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

I cannot remember what i studied for Equity but I passed it on the last sitting. However it is a nice paper. Secret Trusts is one that was tipped and never came up last year so definitely study it.

One bit of advice that is very good for Equity is to look at the past papers. Mod deletion. Focus your study around those questions.
    BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice on equity. I am doing 3 exams in October and due to work I havent been able to fully crack into the study yet. I haven't looked at equity since first semester of my undergrad degree which is about 6 years ago.

I will tight on time as I am doing tort and property too, and I would like to know what people suggest are the vital topics that have to be learned in equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Sarakarp wrote: »
    Would anyone have any tips of what to study for Constitutional law in this sitting? Any predictions from the courses would be much appreciated...it's waaaay too much to study all of it. Thank you

Cant make any predictions and unless the examiner has changed since I did them any attempt at predicting him is futile. He looks for a broad understanding of the constitution and its applications.

If you want my advice I'd say pick up Ryan's Constitutional Law in a nutshell, its a great introduction to each of the topics. Read the judgement Norris -v- The Attorney General too, that case can be referred to in nearly all circumstances.

Bar that, try and research some modern cases and issues that are currently being discussed , topics that relevant to the present day.

If you really need a prediction, try abortion, blasphemy and constitutional interpretation. If I were setting the exam I cant see how you don't ask a question on one of the first two and the third one is a very easy question to score high marks in if it comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey guys,

In a word injunctions, you should have an answered prepared on each of the types as they are very easy to prepare. If I recall, if equitable doctrines haven't come up in a while they are always a hot pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 letmcg

Does anybody have a grid for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

I would advise to have all exams fully "prepped" (revised, notes done, basics understood etc.) two weeks before the exams start at the very latest. That way you will have two full weeks to learn everything off. It took me on average studying full-time about 7-10 days to have my notes done for each exam and with that, I would have a general knowledge after taking my time doing the notes. After that, I would have the last two weeks to learn it the best I could.

I have six passed in two sittings and this is what works for me but of course, this does not mean that it will work for you and you're time table this time might not have been as generous as my past time tables.

Irrespective of whatever technique you use to deal with the dreaded exams just remember to give yourself plenty of time for revision and last minute learning.

Good luck.
    Hey thanks for the tips. I plan to have all courses covered by Sept 1st. Then a month of exam notes and learning off.

I have notes for property already done from last sitting which I didnt sit. So its just summarising for 4 subjects.

I think that 2 weeks of learning off is going to be vital. I just wanted to see what other techniques are out there.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

Mayo91 wrote: »

I have notes for property already done from last sitting which I didnt sit. So its just summarising for 4 subjects.

Does this means it's possible to unregister from one or more of the exams you paid for close to the exam date?

How does this work? Just curious as I didn't know it was possible to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 clare2015

FAO boarduser named N2547.
    i just tried to reply to your message privately re exams and it said you do not allow private messages or cannot accept private messages.in case you are wondering why i didnt respond🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

Hi everyone,

For a problem question on easements are we supposed to use the LCLRA 2009 or the pre-2009 law? My manual says that the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011 extends the transitional period whereby the pre-2009 law will apply until 2021, however I have seen in sample answers that the LCLRA 2009 is still applied so I am confused as to which to use in the exam!

EDIT: Also does anybody knows if ss 3(1) and 3(2) of the 2009 Charities Act have been brought into force?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Thank you. I did Constitutional already in the last sitting and it didn't go down too well because of the random topics that came up. It's by far the most difficult one I sat. It's very hard to get your head around the whole manual and even harder to study for it. I didn't have sample answers the last time and maybe that's were I'm going wrong. It's a very detailed exam paper and
    I think the examiner has certain cases that he goes for but usually puts them as a question in a case note...which I'm not going to do because it's like playing the lotto.
    There are not many topics that are topical this year ..except abortion maybe but that also came up in a case note before...
    IF anyone out there will receive some sort of hints or predictions from the courses that would be great...
    Thank you

Would any kind soul in this thread explain to be exactly what s.6 of the Conveyancing Act 1881 means in relation to creating an easement - I don't really understand it at all. My old college note to say it's been repealed, but the manual I am using doesn't say this at all so I have no idea what's correct. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Louisekeegan

Only a short time left! I'm reading some comments and I'm telling myself get motivated ... summer study is so difficult. I work full time and a three year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

clare2015 wrote: »
    FAO boarduser named N2547.
    i just tried to reply to your message privately re exams and it said you do not allow private messages or cannot accept private messages.in case you are wondering why i didnt respond🙂
    I think it should let you reply now! I had turned off private mails for some reason. Sorry about that! Thanks a mil

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Would any kind soul in this thread explain to be exactly what s.6 of the Conveyancing Act 1881 means in relation to creating an easement - I don't really understand it at all. My old college note to say it's been repealed, but the manual I am using doesn't say this at all so I have no idea what's correct. Thanks in advance!

It's repealed: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/schedule/2/enacted/en/html#sched2

Do you have a question about the acquisition of easements?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Redhighking

Hi everyone,

For a problem question on easements are we supposed to use the LCLRA 2009 or the pre-2009 law? My manual says that the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011 extends the transitional period whereby the pre-2009 law will apply until 2021, however I have seen in sample answers that the LCLRA 2009 is still applied so I am confused as to which to use in the exam!

EDIT: Also does anybody knows if ss 3(1) and 3(2) of the 2009 Charities Act have been brought into force?

Use the LCLRA 2009 Act with s.34 abolishing Common Law Prescriptions and Lost Modern Grant but noting that this reform has effectively been paused till December 2012 by the Civil Law (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2011, so pre-existing approaches will continue to exist till then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone here have access to online tutorials?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement