Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

I would describe both of those stratagems as high-risk.

I would include vicarious liability as it's ultimately straight-forward as is employer's liability (and they overlap to such an extent that it's two birds with one stone.)

I don't think you can possibly be successful leaving out statutory duties and defences either.

I am looking at my exam grid and it said breach of statutory duties only came up once ever and defences only came up once as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Yoop_

I was thinking of leaving out breach of statutory duty, defective premises, liability for animals, fire, concurrent wrongdoers, fatal injuries, survival of actions on death, state liability, defences and maybe passing off?

This seems like an awful lot to be leaving out. Liability for animals and liability for fire are short enough topics and if they come up they're a whole question, usually nice enough ones as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Could anyone give me a lay down on what topics came up for the last 2 sittings in Crim, Prop, equity and company?

Do you reckon they will do away with the question about the reform in company law with introduction of 2014 Company Law Act?

Was a handy almost guaranteed question to have

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Could anyone give me a lay down on what topics came up for the last 2 sittings in Crim, Prop, equity and company?

Do you reckon they will do away with the question about the reform in company law with introduction of 2014 Company Law Act?

Was a handy almost guaranteed question to have

I'm sitting Company Law this time round and have prepared an answer for the law reform question. The only bankers here are

1. Directors Duties (s.150 - old Table A - S.228 - Common Law Duties codified - s238 Company Transactions - s239 Loans to Directors). There are three possible questions on Directors Duties alone. I am looking also at Restriction and Disqualification Orders and Fraudulent and Reckless Trading here too.

2. Corporate Personality

3. Shareholder Remedies (incorporating Sh rights and Duties, Share Transfer, Shareholder & Directors Meetings and Capital Maintenance Rules).

3. Company Dispositions

4. Corporate Borrowings

5. Receivership

6. Liquidations.

7. Retention of Title

8. Company Law Reform

These are the main areas that I am focusing on but I am learning the rest also!

I dreamt (yes ...quite sad!) that I had to answer a question on a vulture fund acting ultra vires (DAC - UV rule still applies)...the dream became a nightmare as I had nothing prepared here. I don't imagine this will be on the exam but anything is possible!:confused::confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Chuckler wrote: »
    I'm sitting Company Law this time round and have prepared an answer for the law reform question. The only bankers here are

1. Directors Duties (s.150 - old Table A - S.228 - Common Law Duties codified - s238 Company Transactions - s239 Loans to Directors). There are three possible questions on Directors Duties alone. I am looking also at Restriction and Disqualification Orders and Fraudulent and Reckless Trading here too.

2. Corporate Personality

3. Shareholder Remedies (incorporating Sh rights and Duties, Share Transfer, Shareholder & Directors Meetings and Capital Maintenance Rules).

3. Company Dispositions

4. Corporate Borrowings

5. Receivership

6. Liquidations.

7. Retention of Title

8. Company Law Reform

These are the main areas that I am focusing on but I am learning the rest also!

I dreamt (yes ...quite sad!) that I had to answer a question on a vulture fund acting ultra vires (DAC - UV rule still applies)...the dream became a nightmare as I had nothing prepared here. I don't imagine this will be on the exam but anything is possible!:confused::confused::eek:

And to answer your question the following came up in Company law last two sittings:

October 16
    Q1. Reform and the 2014 Act.
    Q2. Directors Duties - S.158 (old Article 80 Table A)
    Q3. Directors Duties - S.238/239 and S.228
    Q4. Corporate Borrowings
    Q5. Share Transfer
    Q6. Winding Up (Liquidations)
    Q7. Receivership
    Q8. Shareholder Protection and Remedies (s.212)

March 17
    Q1. Corporate Contracts / Authority - Rule in Turqaund case
    Q2. Corporate Personality - Soloman, Tower, DKN, Angersoll Press etc.
    Q3. Directors Duties - S.228
    Q4. Restriction and Disqualification of Directors
    Q5. Shareholder protection and remedies (Note: This was about rule in Foss v Harbottle, the Derivative Action. S.212 did not feature).
    Q6. Dispositions of Company Assets.
    Q7. Corporate Borrowings
    Q8. Reform and the 2014 Act.

• Advertisement

Chuckler wrote: »
    And to answer your question the following came up in Company law last two sittings:

October 16
    Q1. Reform and the 2014 Act.
    Q2. Directors Duties - S.158 (old Article 80 Table A)
    Q3. Directors Duties - S.238/239 and S.228
    Q4. Corporate Borrowings
    Q5. Share Transfer
    Q6. Winding Up (Liquidations)
    Q7. Receivership
    Q8. Shareholder Protection and Remedies (s.212)

March 17
    Q1. Corporate Contracts / Authority - Rule in Turqaund case
    Q2. Corporate Personality - Soloman, Tower, DKN, Angersoll Press etc.
    Q3. Directors Duties - S.228
    Q4. Restriction and Disqualification of Directors
    Q5. Shareholder protection and remedies (Note: This was about rule in Foss v Harbottle, the Derivative Action. S.212 did not feature).
    Q6. Dispositions of Company Assets.
    Q7. Corporate Borrowings
    Q8. Reform and the 2014 Act.

Fair play, really appreciate it. I was due and set to sit the afformentioned 4 but became I'll a week before exam so generally have a gist of what comes up. Just praying that the handy 2014 Act Q comes up.
    I just have a feeling it has to be cut at some stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LexJura2737

Hi! Does anyone have the examiner report from for Company Law for March 2017/October 2016/March 2016?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have an up to date grid for company or tort?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Wondering where you can purchase lclra 2009 and consumer legislation? Emailed the publication office but no response. Appreciate if anyone could help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 louser1

Hi
    Would anyone have grid for criminal equity and contract?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Wondering where you can purchase lclra 2009 and consumer legislation? Emailed the publication office but no response. Appreciate if anyone could help

I had no difficulty getting mine from the OPW and all I did was send an email enquiring about the cost which they replied to and then I ordered by phone.

E-mail: info@opw.ie
    Tel.: (01) 647 6000

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Leraf wrote: »
    I had no difficulty getting mine from the OPW and all I did was send an email enquiring about the cost which they replied to and then I ordered by phone.

E-mail: info@opw.ie
    Tel.: (01) 647 6000

Thank you so much ! Had emailed publications@opw.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dunne1995

Anybody still not received a letter confirming receipt of application from law soc? Thought I'd have one by now considering the deadline has been and gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

I think it says somewhere that you get it three weeks before the exams start

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Charles OCK

Dunne1995 wrote: »
    Anybody still not received a letter confirming receipt of application from law soc? Thought I'd have one by now considering the deadline has been and gone...

I'm fairly sure they send it within 3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

I received a confirmation email but no letter yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AislingB92

Can anyone set out what topics came up in March 2017 paper for EU and Constitutional please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LegalLady2

Hey Guys!
    Is anyone else so unmotivated to do these exams? Have my final 2 in Oct and still can't find the motivation to start studying properly.. Will need a miracle to get me through these! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Yes!! Exact same boat, final two. I thought when i started out on this arduous journey that by now with the majority passed id be oozing with confidence by now - not so! This exams are mentally draining even at the end stages. I'm working full time so its a juggling act, wrecked most nights, so my only study time is sat/sundays. Going through notes, i feel like an actor memorizing a script, not gaining any worthwhile knowledge or understanding, its a memory test. Don't lose faith, we have come this far, we can do this!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 luckyman

I'm looking for sample answers in Property Law if anyone has any. I would really, really appreciate it.

Can provide sample answers for criminal and contract in return.

Many thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to have the Tort paper from this past sitting?
    I am also looking for the examiners report for Criminal :)

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 LexJura2737

Hi all,

Does anyone happen to have the Tort paper from this past sitting?
    I am also looking for the examiners report for Criminal :)

Thanks in advance!

I too would like Tort paper from March 2017 if anyone has it.
    I have all of the papers from March except Tort, if anyone is looking to do a swap.

Thanks

Can someone tell me the topics that came up in Criminal this March gone? Also Property and Equity if possible!

Please!

Can someone tell me the topics that came up in Criminal this March gone? Also Property and Equity if possible!

Please!

Sent what I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

for tort if you leave out defences , do damages and limitation instead thats what i am doing and would not leave out products

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Anyone have any recommendations as to what to cover for Criminal? Like from the Criminal Procedure and Jurisdiction chapter is there anything that I could safely leave out? I'd actually love to just not do that topic but I'm not sure that would be wise! Thanks!

Leraf wrote: »
    Sent what I could.

Cheers again!!

tumblr_n5836hchhg1qb6v6ro4_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tina22

Hi all,
    Hope study is going well! Just wondering if anyone has a constitutional and EU grid they wouldn't mind sharing.. I have others to swap if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Anyone have any recommendations as to what to cover for Criminal? Like from the Criminal Procedure and Jurisdiction chapter is there anything that I could safely leave out? I'd actually love to just not do that topic but I'm not sure that would be wise! Thanks!
    you should be fine, have an idea of bail.

learn off the big topics murder, manslaughter, sexual offences, defences , one of the courts, inchoate offences.
    its a straight forward paper,most you can leave out is two chapters or so as the questions are combined .
    hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Cheers again!!

tumblr_n5836hchhg1qb6v6ro4_250.gif

Pretty sure you have to be insane already to consider doing these exams in the first place !! Why did I ever start to think this might be a good idea :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement