Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

Hi all,

Anybody have any advice as to how to go about studying Eu and what to focus on/ leave out?

All advice and help welcome 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hi all.

I'm on my first attempt to do the FE1s and I'm doing EU, Criminal, Property and in the last moment decided to do Equity (rather than Contract - for which I have the materials but seems too much), but I only have an old book for equity. Can anyone give an up to date Equity Grid and maybe some samples answers or some insights... I could do the same for the rest that I have.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hi fellow tortured FE1 souls,

Any chance someone could tell me what came up in equity and tort in March?

Cheers for any help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

N2547 - pm me your e-mail and i'll sent you something re EU

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roosevelt93

Hi everyone, hope the study is going well.

I just have a query about the extent to which knowledge of Ultra Vires is needed for the company law exam. I know it is on the syllabus but it was my understanding that since the Fe1's usually focus on LTD companies and the doctrine of ultra vires has been abolished for LTD companies under CA 2014 this wasn't examinable. I only started studying company law last year so I am just a bit confused about where this could come up?

I know the doctrine is still applicable to DAC's (and PLC's) but would this mean we need to know the old and the new law for ultra vires as it applies to DAC's?? Could DAC's come up as a stand alone on the exam?

Would seriously appreciate any guidance at all on this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Re Comp Law : Share Transfer (Pre-emption rights) (Registration)

There was a statutory regulation in the 1983 Companies Act re pre-emption rights for shares. Most of the sample answers refer to S. 23 of the 1983 Act re this.

However there doesn't seem to be any such similar regulation in the 2014 Act.

Am I right in saying that it is now merely the company's obligation to put this in their Constitution to avoid issues when they seek to reject a request a request to register new/transferred shares

EDIT: Found it
    Section 69 (6)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Hello

Could someone please help a flu head here.
    Having massive trouble getting the institutions chapter for EU in my head.
    I am doing case note
    Competition and state aid on top of all the usual ones.
    Would I be ok if I don't remember institutions.
    How does one make sense of this
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

I think ultra vires has come up a few times since the new act came in, Mod: Pls don't discuss Examiners, lecturers, Colleges etc, so odds are it will still show up every once in a while. I'm covering it just in case.

Does anyone have an up to date Constitutional exam grid?
    I tried to update an old one I had but it's pretty incomplete so I'd much rather have a complete one.
    I have up to date company and equity grids to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PandoraCharmer

Hi guys, sorry if this has come up before, but does anyone know of a constitutional conference in the law school in UCD which is usually held before the Fe1 sitting? It was on before the last sitting and apparently the conference goes through the recent constitutional developments and case law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 orange17

Mod. See note upthread at post 1299. Post deleted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would send me exam grids for Property, Equity and Contract? I have EU and Property notes that I could swap. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have updated grids for any of the 8? Please and thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Does anyone have any tips on topics that can be left out for EU? Struggling here

• Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

Does anyone have a copy of last sittings EU paper? Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Have yet to hear back from the Law Society about the Fe1's.
    I sent in my application weeks back is anybody else the same?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AislingB92

Hi Robbie25808,

I received an email acknowledging receipt of payment but no letter received as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

email them,
    i have confirmation by email also but no letter
    they said 3 weeks before the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi, if anybody could give me any guidance on what to study for EU I would really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

If one was to have notes for every chapter of Tort, EU, Contract and Equity written out 3 weeks in advance of the exams starting - has anyone found that this would be enough time to learn it all off successfully? These are my final four and feeling a lot less prepared than last time due to work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

shellbm wrote: »
    If one was to have notes for every chapter of Tort, EU, Contract and Equity written out 3 weeks in advance of the exams starting - has anyone found that this would be enough time to learn it all off successfully? These are my final four and feeling a lot less prepared than last time due to work etc.

Three weeks to do 4 subjects sounds a lot. Are you learning the condensed material or just looking over bullet points?
    How many hours a day?

I'm doing Contract and Equity this time. Contract is easy enough versus equity but they overlap. Haven't done Tort or EU ( be my last 2 in March hopefully).
    All comes down to your level of understanding starting off and hours

• Advertisement

Anyone have a synopsis of the Constitutional paper from March?

I'm also in the market for sample Q+As for Constitutional and Contract.
    I have Equity, Property, Company and Criminal stuff to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Shell I'm trying something similar. How did you compile the notes? Bullet point the chapters?

PS TO ALL... has anyone seen the 'night before notes' from city colleges? E.g. http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/PROPERTY-LAW-NBN.pdf

Does anyone think these are any use ? If I covered everything in the, could I get through? (They're publicly available btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Possibly a very stupid question - but are we expected to quote from the judgements in the exams? Or is it enough to know what the case is about and how it applies? First time siting!

Possibly a very stupid question - but are we expected to quote from the judgements in the exams? Or is it enough to know what the case is about and how it applies? First time siting!

The latter. BCL answers are different to FE1 answers. Putting in quotes from the judiciary might irk the marker.
    Though that's not gospel. Think pragmatism.

The latter. BCL answers are different to FE1 answers. Putting in quotes from the judiciary might irk the marker.
    Though that's not gospel. Think pragmatism.

PS to my answer. There's no E in judgment. Sorry to sound pedantic but that is worth remembering in answers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

PS to my answer. There's no E in judgment. Sorry to sound pedantic but that is worth remembering in answers

Ah, Tony, don't go there!!

I know. I questioned my conscience. Shame on me

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I know. I questioned my conscience. Shame on me

Haha! I'm blaming predictive text on my phone - thanks Tony for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Can anyone help with criminal? So many say how it's such an easy exam but I'm finding that there is a lot of it and a lot of mixing topics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 jackbraiden

You will be absolutely fine with that. Plenty of practice of past papers as well and you will be well set.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement