Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jackbraiden

SM1803 wrote: »
    Can anyone help with criminal? So many say how it's such an easy exam but I'm finding that there is a lot of it and a lot of mixing topics

What sort of help are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Anyone have a synopsis of the Constitutional paper from March?

I'm also in the market for sample Q+As for Constitutional and Contract.
    I have Equity, Property, Company and Criminal stuff to swap.
    Hi there, if you give your e-mail I can sent you what I have on contract. I will appreciate any help with equity, criminal or property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

What sort of help are you looking for?

Sample answers or guide on what topics can be left out/ more important than others

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Wouldnt leave out institutions For EU. Pretty solid basis. Don't learn off loads, but know the basics.

What areas are people doing for Tort?

1. Duty of care
    2. Causation
    3. Negligence
    4. Occupiers liablity
    5. Defamation
    6. Trespass to persons
    7. Nuisance
    8. Vicarious Liablity.

Trying to also get:

Limitations of actions
    Damages
    defences to an action

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GavMac

Hi guys, Would anybody be able to tell me what came up on the most recent EU paper? or have an up to date exam grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AislingB92

GavMac wrote: »
    Hi guys, Would anybody be able to tell me what came up on the most recent EU paper? or have an up to date exam grid?

Hi GavMac,

I have an exam grid up to October 2016 if that is of any use to you?

I am also in search of an up to date exam grid and sample answers to March 2017 paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GavMac

AislingB92 wrote: »
    Hi GavMac,

I have an exam grid up to October 2016 if that is of any use to you?

I am also in search of an up to date exam grid and sample answers to March 2017 paper.

I have the same, I just need the March 2017. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

Shell I'm trying something similar. How did you compile the notes? Bullet point the chapters?

PS TO ALL... has anyone seen the 'night before notes' from city colleges? E.g. http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/PROPERTY-LAW-NBN.pdf

Does anyone think these are any use ? If I covered everything in the, could I get through? (They're publicly available btw)

I have been attending a prep course at night so I have all the chapters written up from notetaking during the lectures and studying at the weekends. Not bullet point form as such, just general principles and cases - facts, principle and decision of each and then a very small amount of academic commentary from the majors (Chalmers for EU, McMahon and Binchy etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Hi it's €111 from the office. You could try Adverts.ie or DoneDeal.ie to see if any are being sold online.

Is it worth the money or would you get away with not bringing it in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Bayb12 wrote: »

Lecturer I saw said all in the class would be better off giving him the 100euro for the book. If we felt we needed it during the exam, he would give us back the 100euro and if not, he would keep the cash!!

He said it is a waste of money to buy it for the exam. If you know it you know it, you wont need the act.

That said, I will still be buying the Act when I do that particular exam. I feel compelled to buy it, cant explain why. I think it would just make me feel better/calmer about the whole process to have it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 graduate555

I honestly think it's necessary. I spent a hours tabbing and highlighting, and only used it for one part of one question last march. I can't remember exactly, but we had to copy some parts of a list of directors duties - something you just wouldn't learn off by heart.

Although that seems like a tiny payoff, it definitely got me a mark or two. I felt my exam went great, but I passed with 53 or something. So I wouldn't be so sure I'd have passed without the legislation. You might get lucky and not need it for your chosen questions, but you equally might get very unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey folks,

Can anyone tell me what came up in tort on the March 2017 paper?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

What subjects are people focusing on for tort and criminal? Both very big sections of law - just trying to narrow it down.

Also - if anyone has the most recent exam for tort and/or updated exam grids for equity, tort, criminal, and property I'd be happy to trade notes and what I have.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jackbraiden

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Can anyone tell me what came up in tort on the March 2017 paper?

Thanks

Send me your email and I will PM send you.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

It depends. Are you new to Company Law? If you have done it to BCL level I reckon you'll be ok as you wouldn't have had it in the exams, so should know it enough to pass ok.
    Otherwise, I think if you do your revision you won't need it. You don't need to pull out and write out legislation word for word. So, if you know the details you'll know the substance of the Act. Save your money - the FE1s cost enough!!!

EU LAW

Can somebody explain the difference between direct effect and indirect effect?

Indirect effect looks like it basically means horizontal direct effect exists?

If a private party takes a case against another for a badly or unimplemented directive, in theory they should not be allowed due to lack of horizontal direct effect of directives....

HOWEVER;

Marleasing and Centrosteel we see two private parties using unimplemented directives in courts. Is it because it can be used as a defence? In Van Colson it was used as cause of action. I am seriously confused about this concept.

Whats the limitations of indirect effect? Like should we not just call it direct horizontal effect.

Also does the ratti doctrine not apply to indirect effect? As it doesnt matter what legislation it is, before or after directive, it doesnt matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jkeogh15

Has anybody got their exam number in the post yet? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

It depends. Are you new to Company Law? If you have done it to BCL level I reckon you'll be ok as you wouldn't have had it in the exams, so should know it enough to pass ok.
    Otherwise, I think if you do your revision you won't need it. You don't need to pull out and write out legislation word for word. So, if you know the details you'll know the substance of the Act. Save your money - the FE1s cost enough!!!

I have done it but pre 2014 act so that's why I'm worried

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fe1andDone

I have EU, Company and Equity. New to Boards so not sure how I can send you them. PM me anyway!

Hi, if I PMed you, would you mind sending those my way? I didn't sit anything in March 2017 and I would really appreciate it.

• Advertisement

I have done it but pre 2014 act so that's why I'm worried

I hate saying something DEFINETLY will come up in the exam but I'd put a large sum on 'Five differences brought in by the new Act'.
    You can pre learn this off. By doing this study you'll get a flavour of the new Act and know s.205 is the new s.212 etc.

TBH once you know the substance, section numbers are easily learnt

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HenryHodgson

Does anyone have anything they can send on for Equity? Grids, sample answers etc??

I have material for most things.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

Hi everyone, I am looking at Question 4 of the March 2017 exam in Equity and can't figure out if it's proprietary or promissory estoppel. Would anyone be able to help? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flamingo125

Hi all, for EU I am hoping to cover all material except competition & case notes..I know I might have a choice of only 6 Q's but am I right in thinking that competition never comes up as 2 separate Q's?? & I'd surely be okay?🀞ðŸ½

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi all, does anybody have up to date exam grids for equity and contract? I can swap contract notes or past exam papers and examiners reports for Equity and EU. If anybody could give some guidance on how they plan on narrowing down equity and EU I would be very grateful!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Hi everyone, I am looking at Question 4 of the March 2017 exam in Equity and can't figure out if it's proprietary or promissory estoppel. Would anyone be able to help? Thanks :)

Promissory estoppel examined in contract
    Proprietary estoppel examined in equity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hi, am I correct in saying the treasure throve/ ownership and possession Q didn't appear last paper? Did it appear in October 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

I think you would be silly not to get it. Think about it, the standard assumption is that you are able to know the exact section/subsection numbers and wording of the legislation. That is the standard you are held to every student.

the examiner will assume you to have this in the exam or at least to have an accurate knowledge of the sections. Even, if it comes down to mixing up section XYZ, subsection A, with Section XYZ, subsection B the examiner will pick up on this as such is the standard.

It is a great help and when you are flicking through it, you will have mini Eureka moments when you see the exact wording/highlighting!

If you are getting it though, get it now and become familiar with it and highlight/underline/have it open when studying.

No point going through it a couple of days before exame as you need to be familiar with what are the vital sections.

IE, director duties, restriction, share transfer, liquidation, charges, etc etc

It is expensive but it could easily be the difference between 47% and 55% if they pick up on that extra little bit of imprecision and then you are forking out another 105 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Hi, am I correct in saying the treasure throve/ ownership and possession Q didn't appear last paper? Did it appear in October 2016?

Yeah it wasn't on the last paper but had been on the previous few in a row

• Advertisement

I think you would be silly not to get it. Think about it, the standard assumption is that you are able to know the exact section/subsection numbers and wording of the legislation. That is the standard you are held to every student.

the examiner will assume you to have this in the exam or at least to have an accurate knowledge of the sections. Even, if it comes down to mixing up section XYZ, subsection A, with Section XYZ, subsection B the examiner will pick up on this as such is the standard.

It is a great help and when you are flicking through it, you will have mini Eureka moments when you see the exact wording/highlighting!

If you are getting it though, get it now and become familiar with it and highlight/underline/have it open when studying.

No point going through it a couple of days before exame as you need to be familiar with what are the vital sections.

IE, director duties, restriction, share transfer, liquidation, charges, etc etc

It is expensive but it could easily be the difference between 47% and 55% if they pick up on that extra little bit of imprecision and then you are forking out another 105 quid

They write down whether you're using the Act or not. So, the examiner will expect more accuracy from you and mark accordingly (So Prof Lynch Fannon told me in UCC).

You also need to be wary of relying on the Act to 'save' you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement