Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hi, Can anyone help me with a criminal law grid and some sample answers. I can swap EU or Contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They write down whether you're using the Act or not. So, the examiner will expect more accuracy from you and mark accordingly (So Prof Lynch Fannon told me in UCC).

You also need to be wary of relying on the Act to 'save' you.

I am pretty sure the examiners will mark you on the basis of the same standard of DETAIL. The examiner won't be looking at an exam and errors in Section numbers/details etc and letting you off because, sure, he didn't use the legislation, I wouldn't expect him to know it to that detail!.

Same with the Constitution and the Succession Act

You will be marked on your knowledge of the legislation and you won't be given a bye on small things. At the end of the day, the examiner might me impressed if you are able to memorise legislation WHEN YOU GET IT CORRECT but why would they be impressed or give allowances to you if you are making simple but significant errors just because you didn't use the legislation.

So unless you are utterly confident that your mistakes will be minimal to the standard that is set for all students, then I can't see what benefit having this "X didn't use legislation"
    Why would they be impressed by "effort"

Also, I amn't even sure the examiner him/herself even is privy to whether you used any legislation during exam tbh. They only get the papers themselves. Open to correction here.

Also I never said anything about the Companies act "saving" you??

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

I am pretty sure the examiners will mark you on the basis of the same standard of DETAIL. The examiner won't be looking at an exam and errors in Section numbers/details etc and letting you off because, sure, he didn't use the legislation, I wouldn't expect him to know it to that detail!.

Same with the Constitution and the Succession Act

You will be marked on your knowledge of the legislation and you won't be given a bye on small things. At the end of the day, the examiner might me impressed if you are able to memorise legislation WHEN YOU GET IT CORRECT but why would they be impressed or give allowances to you if you are making simple but significant errors just because you didn't use the legislation.

So unless you are utterly confident that your mistakes will be minimal to the standard that is set for all students, then I can't see what benefit having this "X didn't use legislation"
    Why would they be impressed by "effort"

Also, I amn't even sure the examiner him/herself even is privy to whether you used any legislation during exam tbh. They only get the papers themselves. Open to correction here.

Also I never said anything about the Companies act "saving" you??

No need jump down my throat. I only said what an ex-examiner told me.

It is noted if the candidate used the legislation.

Of course, once you know your stuff it's all irrelative.

No need jump down my throat. I only said what an ex-examiner told me.

It is noted if the candidate used the legislation.

Of course, once you know your stuff it's all irrelative.

Not jumping down your throat, I am just given reasoning, hence the long post. No need to assume the tone of the post!

I just wouldn't advise someone that they will be held in a lower standard bracket because they didn't use the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

Hi law peeps,

Anyone have up-to-date Tort or Company grids?

I don't have any good grids to swap but I do have my notes on Contract, Property and Criminal (got a ~65% pass rate on those topics)

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

Hi guys,

Can someone explain what principle we are being asked to discuss in question 2 of eu paper (re general principles) when mentioning the principle of practical possibility and equivalence? My understanding was that only the following general principles were examinable; equality, fundamental rights, principle of subsidiarity/ proportionality, legal certainty, transparency and legitimate expectation? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MarkOC95

Lostudent wrote: »
    Hi law peeps,

Anyone have up-to-date Tort or Company grids?

I don't have any good grids to swap but I do have my notes on Contract, Property and Criminal (got a ~65% pass rate on those topics)

Cheers!

PM'd

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Could anyone please be in a position to help with a sample answer or notes for the State aid chapter,
    can help with all other subjects.
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Thinking of doing:

Trial in due course of law
    Causation
    Murder/ Manslaughter
    NFOAP 97
    Sexual Offences
    Theft and Fraud
    Criminal Damage
    Inchoate Offences
    Some Defences
    Arrest and Detention
    Bail

And leaving it at that. Will I hit the 50? Is there anything I could cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

I would do the Courts as one of them comes up. and I would leave out the arrest detention and bail. have an idea but thats all.

I spent to much time on it on my exam and only comes up as one line in a problem question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Thanks Lumi! That's criminal sorted, now need to compile a similar list for Contract, Equity and Property........ :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pottsss777

Hello! Does anyone have up to date grids for company, constitutional, tort and criminal? I can swap for sample answers for all!

Has Prop Estoppel came up in last 2 sittings? My grid has the lst one in March 15? It is not that bad of a topic and appears to take a sitting out and then pops up for a few sittings in a row.

Has Prop Estoppel came up in last 2 sittings? My grid has the lst one in March 15? It is not that bad of a topic and appears to take a sitting out and then pops up for a few sittings in a row.

In Equity or Contract?
    Came up in Equity in March!

In Equity or Contract?
    Came up in Equity in March!

Yeah, Equity, cheers. Assume it was a problem question? Any idea if it came up the previous sitting?
    As I said it is a handy enough topic so considering it is so regular, I would be silly not to cover it.
    Just want to equate the chances of it appearing to some degree. Two in a row sittings, if it were such would lessen its chances.

Wish it hadn't came up in March!!

Yeah, Equity, cheers. Assume it was a problem question? Any idea if it came up the previous sitting?
    As I said it is a handy enough topic so considering it is so regular, I would be silly not to cover it.
    Just want to equate the chances of it appearing to some degree. Two in a row sittings, if it were such would lessen its chances.

Mmmmmm I'm not sure. I THINK it came up as PART of one last Oct but I'm 75/25 on that.
    Equity is a torn in my side

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

Does anyone know if the procedures in summary and indictable trials has ever come up in Criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

Anyone have an up to date grid for Contract? I have Company, Constitutional and Tort to swap. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Lindyloo 1

Yeah it was a problem q in Oct 2016 too

COMP LAW

Can anyone copy paste the actual questions that came up on corporate borrowings the last 2 sittings? Or even a general outline of what they involved? Or even tell me if they were equivalent to any of the preceding years? (I have papers up until March 2016)

Was there anything on retention of title, or related to it the last couple of sittings?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ArcticMoran23

Hey does anyone have a Company or Property grid? I can swap for Equity and EU! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24 iana2017

Hey does anyone have a Company or Property grid? I can swap for Equity and EU! Thanks

Hi, if you give your e-mail I can sent you the grid for Property , I would really appreciate the equity one. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

Exam Grids:

Can someone please send me Constitutional and Criminal updated exam grids? I have all the other subjects I can swap for.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey folks,

Any chance anyone could send me on grids for tort and equity, really getting tight on time with work and badly need to narrrow down the study.

I have notes and sample answers for most other subjects to swap.

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Hey if anyone is looking for grids just sent me a PM with your email!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Can you highlight the treaties for the EU exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

What are people doing for EU

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

SM1803 wrote: »
    Can you highlight the treaties for the EU exam?

You can highlight and tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

For EU I was going to cover everything except State Aid & Participation and Private International Law but would like to know if there's anything else I could leave out. Institutions, FMG, Competition, Equality, Judicial Review and Direct Effect have come up in each sitting under this examiner so definitely cover these well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Marie92 wrote: »
    For EU I was going to cover everything except State Aid & Participation and Private International Law but would like to know if there's anything else I could leave out. Institutions, FMG, Competition, Equality, Judicial Review and Direct Effect have come up in each sitting under this examiner so definitely cover these well.
    did the examiner change?

MOD
    Sorry, pls don't discuss examiners here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement