Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Company Law:

For the chapter on Liquidation, do they only really ask you a question on the winding up for inability to pay debt and where it is just and equitable to do so?
    I know that one paper asked a different question but that was a random enough question.
    Voluntary windups are usually quite straightforward so there isn't much case law on which to base a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi, would anybody be able to help me with question 7 on the 2015 equity paper:

Write a note on two of the following:

(A) the exceptional categories in which non-charitable purpose trusts may be enforced.

I'm not sure what the examiner is looking for here, if anyone could let me know how they would go about answering it that would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I highly doubt that is the pass rate. I read that EU is 70% so i doubt that the others are that much lower.

Even if it was 40% I wouldn't read too much into it. With these exams you've got quite a wide demographic compared to undergrad exams. You'll have people fresh from their law degrees alongside people that never studied law before. You'll have people that have been studying full time for the past few months alongside people like myself, who have a 60 hour week with work/commute. You'll have people who really want to pursue this career alongside people whose parents want them to pursue it. Pass rates might be indicative of something in college where there's at least some sort of parity between students, but not with the FE1s. They're difficult, that's all you need to worry about.

Pamela0506 wrote: »
    Hi, would anybody be able to help me with question 7 on the 2015 equity paper:

Write a note on two of the following:

(A) the exceptional categories in which non-charitable purpose trusts may be enforced.

I'm not sure what the examiner is looking for here, if anyone could let me know how they would go about answering it that would be great!

My understanding of the general rule is that non-charitable purpose trusts will fail because, unlike charitable trusts, they do not have human objects.

However there are exceptions to that rule. In my manual the exceptional categories are trusts for:

(1) the erection or maintenance of monuments or graves;
    (2) for the maintenance of particular animals;
    (3) for saying masses, and;
    (4) for unincorporated associations.

It's a note question, and like most note questions it's a 'tell me all you know question', so it's pretty straight forward.

So in preparing that essay, or in just generally preparing that chapter, I'd be looking to define what a general purpose trust is, contrast it with a charitable trust, lay out the general rule, then look at each category to explore the rationale behind that particular exception, then support with case law.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone have the October 2016 report?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much a copy of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 costs from the OPW. Thanks

Less than €10.00 i think. I think i bought 3 the Constitution, Succession and Sale of Goods for about 15euro in total. If you email or call them they will let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Paleblood wrote: »
    How effective would a nutshell be for tort? Go in with a level of knowledge on every subject and leave yourself in a position to answer 4 problem question and take a whack at an essay? It's my fourth subject and I only have time to really get beneath the skin of three of them. Could it be done or am I daydreaming?

Are you trying to get the golden three here? If so, I'd say forget tort. Do 3 and give them a proper lash instead of spreading yourself too thinly trying to cover 4.

OMGWACA wrote: »
    Are you trying to get the golden three here? If so, I'd say forget tort. Do 3 and give them a proper lash instead of spreading yourself too thinly trying to cover 4.

Yeah I've pretty much come to that conclusion. I'm gonna go up and give it a last on the day, just to see what happens. At the very least it'll take the edge off my three subsequent exams and I can use whatever score I get as some sort of barometer for my next attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Any tips on what to cut for constitutional.

Im thinking of cutting:
    Preamble
    The Nation the People and the Sate and Sovereignty
    Emergency and War
    International Law and the Constitution
    Abortion
    Personal Liberty
    Inviobility of the Dwelling
    Freedom of Association and Religion
    Directive Principles of Socio-Economic Policy

Ok, looking there it actually looks like i am leaving out loads. haha

What do people think? I do not have enough time at all to cover these. Plus have 4 exams in a row.

Looking for any 2016 reports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Any tips on what to cut for constitutional.

Im thinking of cutting:
    Preamble
    The Nation the People and the Sate and Sovereignty
    Emergency and War
    International Law and the Constitution
    Abortion
    Personal Liberty
    Inviobility of the Dwelling
    Freedom of Association and Religion
    Directive Principles of Socio-Economic Policy

Ok, looking there it actually looks like i am leaving out loads. haha

What do people think? I do not have enough time at all to cover these. Plus have 4 exams in a row.

I was halfway through answering your Q and realised I was answering it wrongly. That bodes badly!!!
    I thought they were topics you were FOCUSED on and was saying you're mad.

A few of those link to other big topics e.g. Association/Religion to Expression; Socio-economic to several, and i would look at Crotty and Pringle in International.

There's 20 areas (i think)..... I'm focussing on 10-12 and hoping that's enough

I was halfway through answering your Q and realised I was answering it wrongly. That bodes badly!!!
    I thought they were topics you were FOCUSED on and was saying you're mad.

A few of those link to other big topics e.g. Association/Religion to Expression; Socio-economic to several, and i would look at Crotty and Pringle in International.

There's 20 areas (i think)..... I'm focussing on 10-12 and hoping that's enough

I think religion came up last year or the year before so let's hope it doesn't come up again genuinely no time anyway haha

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Am I right in saying Defective Premises is no longer on the Tort course? It does not appear on the law society website? plz correct me if I have overlooked something and it is still there!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

nmwcc wrote: »
    Am I right in saying Defective Premises is no longer on the Tort course? It does not appear on the law society website? plz correct me if I have overlooked something and it is still there!

Defective Premises is still on the syllabus I believe. Hasn't come up on any paper in the last 7 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

Mod: Please do not discuss the various colleges etc here.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Hi everyone - I started to study my notes on EU yesterday and I'm wondering what topics I should absolutely study to get a decent shot at 5 questions. I definitely won't be studying the whole course because there's not enough time for that.

If I have to choose between the freedoms and Competition law, which is the better one to go for? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DoomDaDa

Hi all,

Is it acceptable to study with a 2016 manual for the March 2018 sitting or should I get a recent manual.

Thanks

) John, an Irish citizen, has been accepted onto a course of study at a Belgian university. The Belgian authorities refuse his application for the student maintenance grant provided for Belgian students, on the basis that he has not been resident in Belgium for 5 years before commencing his course of study. Belgium argues that its refusal is permitted under Article 24 of Directive 2005/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the rights of citizens of the union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States. John seeks your advice as to whether the refusal is lawful under EU law

For this question. In Forester it was similar conditions but they said it did not apply to Dutch Nationals. Did they say you are allowed to do this or that it is discrimination?

Also in Bidar, they say they required a 3 year residency rule for UK and foreign nationals to get the loan. This was fine. I know it failed due to the settled reason.

But I am just confused, are you allowed to refuse foreign nationals study and not refuse those in your own country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 j.furriskey

Are we allowed to tab our legislative sources? Also is the examiner aware that we are bringing a copy of legislation into the exam? I heard somebody say that it's maker more stringently as a result. Do we just hand it to an invigilator before and after the exam to confirm theres no notes in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 j.furriskey

Are we allowed to tab our legislative sources? Also is the examiner aware that we are bringing a copy of legislation into the exam? I heard somebody say that it's maker more stringently as a result. Do we just hand it to an invigilator before and after the exam to confirm theres no notes in there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Even if we have the legislation, it doesn't mean we'll have time to look at it or need to. As we're all allowed to have it, I'd imagine there wouldn't be any distinction drawn in terms of marking.

EU Law:

Anybody know the difference between when to apply Directve 2004/38/EC and Regulation 1612/68 for 3rd country nationals?

I think you apply the directive when you are in your own MS but apply the regulation when you are in another MS?

) John, an Irish citizen, has been accepted onto a course of study at a Belgian university. The Belgian authorities refuse his application for the student maintenance grant provided for Belgian students, on the basis that he has not been resident in Belgium for 5 years before commencing his course of study. Belgium argues that its refusal is permitted under Article 24 of Directive 2005/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council on the rights of citizens of the union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States. John seeks your advice as to whether the refusal is lawful under EU law

For this question. In Forester it was similar conditions but they said it did not apply to Dutch Nationals. Did they say you are allowed to do this or that it is discrimination?

Also in Bidar, they say they required a 3 year residency rule for UK and foreign nationals to get the loan. This was fine. I know it failed due to the settled reason.

But I am just confused, are you allowed to refuse foreign nationals study and not refuse those in your own country?

It was proportionate to the objective yes. Think Belgium have a 5 year residency requirement in one of the cases to get education aid which was acceptted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

What are people doing for company?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

N2547 wrote: »
    What are people doing for company?
    Everything. For now I would say everything, If you ask me again the night before the exam the answer might be different.

But I think it's dangerous to cut things out at an earlier stage. If you're stuck in an exam having some extra knowledge rattling at the back of your brain might make the difference between a pass and fail. ( And it did for me in multiple exams in the last sitting.)

On a separate note. Could some kind soul send me an up to date Constitutional grid? I thought I could do with an older version but as the exam nears I am getting slightly panicky. I can offer a company or equity one in exchange.

I would really appreciate the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Has the "Family Property " Question came up in the last 2 sittings?

I assume, if it has, it was the same old one that is usually on it yeah?

It seems due a run. How to critically evaluate tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Could anyone tell me if Article 267 TFEU on the preliminary reference procedure came up on last spring's EU paper? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

Could anyone tell me if Article 267 TFEU on the preliminary reference procedure came up on last spring's EU paper? :)

Hey, it didn’t come up that sitting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Dylan123

I assume it is impermissible to underline sections of the constitution?

I did contact the law society several times and left a message, but I guess the education department is inundated with inquiries this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Dylan123 wrote: »
    I assume it is impermissible to underline sections of the constitution?

I did contact the law society several times and left a message, but I guess the education department is inundated with inquiries this time of year.
    Underlining, highlighting and tabbing are all apparently OK.

Any writing is off limits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement