Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 irishasj

Hi All,

I am using a 2015 manual for Criminal.
    Are there any developments in the following topics that was of huge significance for answering the exam: -

Actus Reus
    Mens Rea
    Homicide
    NFOAP
    Sexual Offences (Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017 to be included?)
    Property Offences
    Public Order Offences
    Defences

Also, anything that I am leaving out?

Any help would be great, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Company Law:

Anybody have any ideas what to right for 5 changes brought by the new Companies Act.

If there were 5 points that could just pull from the other chapters would be very beneficial.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

irishasj wrote: »
    Hi All,

I am using a 2015 manual for Criminal.
    Are there any developments in the following topics that was of huge significance for answering the exam: -

Actus Reus
    Mens Rea
    Homicide
    NFOAP
    Sexual Offences (Criminal Law (Sexual Offences) Act 2017 to be included?)
    Property Offences
    Public Order Offences
    Defences

Also, anything that I am leaving out?

Any help would be great, thanks!

Use the reports for criminal he gives you everything you will need. He points out recent cases. I used his reports as my main notes (I didn't have a manual) and it was one of my best results

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Company Law:

Anybody have any ideas what to right for 5 changes brought by the new Companies Act.

If there were 5 points that could just pull from the other chapters would be very beneficial.

Thanks
    Abolition of ultra vires for LTD's
    The new architecture of the act, with distinct sections for each business structure.
    The introduction of restriction and disqualification undertakings.
    The codification of the directors duties
    Summary approval procedure
    Changes to the registration of charges w/ two stage procedure
    Repeal of tables A and C from the previous Companies Act.

Seems to have come up as a question nearly every year since 2014 so hopefully its one you can bank on but I could also see them not wanting to get overly predictable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

Handing in legislation the day before the exam - do you have to drop in it before a certain time?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Moderator:

Hi everyone,

We have been given the go-ahead for a private sub-forum for law students including FE1ers so that you can have more control over the discussion.

We hope it will be of benefit not just to FE1 students but to young (or not so young!) lawyers looking to make a start in a difficult profession.

This thread will remain open for business as usual for the time being at least.

I will look at what's required to set up the forum and then post an access request thread in this forum.

Cheers,
    hullaballoo.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Ok, that was painless enough. The new forum has been set up and you can request access here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104802743#post104802743

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Ok, that was painless enough. The new forum has been set up and you can request access here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104802743#post104802743

Brilliant! Thanks a mill for setting this up Hullaballoo. It's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Handing in legislation the day before the exam - do you have to drop in it before a certain time?

Anyone know where? The Red Cow by the cloakroom? Didn't bother with it for company and passed, Property too. So nobody panic if don't use them. I have the consumer legislation handy though.
    Time limit day before?

Anyone know where? The Red Cow by the cloakroom? Didn't bother with it for company and passed, Property too. So nobody panic if don't use them. I have the consumer legislation handy though.
    Time limit day before?

• Advertisement

Time limit day before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 LegalLaaaaady

Time limit day before?

Yes cloakroom in Red Cow. I believe last time I checked in legislation, I did so by midday the day before one of my exams but can't manage to remember if midday was the time limit or not. Can anyone confirm the this?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

could anyone send me an up to date criminal grid?

Mary asked her sister Alice to collect Ben, Mary's son who was 14, from soccer practice. When Alice
    arrived, she found to her surprise that not only was Ben waiting for a lift but three of his friends
    also expected to be taken as well. Alice found the boys in high spirits and as she drove they were
    very boisterous. They were shouting and laughing and at times they would push and shove each
    other, giving Alice the impression that the car was being bounced. She decided to pull into a drive
    through fast food restaurant, figuring that this would calm the boys down somewhat.
    As she drove off, the boys did in fact get much quieter and they began to behave more
    respectfully. Alice was thankful because there was still a 20 minute drive back to Mary's place.
    Alice was very proud of her car, having it valeted every week. As the boys began to finish their
    meals, she asked them to make sure that they kept their rubbish until they arrived at Mary's.
    Sam, one of Ben's friends, asked if he could put the rubbish on the floor, but Mary was insistent
    that he hold it until the end of their journey.
    As Alice slowed down to stop for a red light, Sam suddenly opened his window and saying, "I
    am getting rid of .this rubbish now!" threw his half-drunk milkshake out of the window. Alice tried
    to shout stop but it was too late. The milkshake struck Tom, a pedestrian, who just happened to
    be there. Some of the milkshake went into Tom’s eye and this later went on to become infected,
    impairing his vision.
    Advise Alice as to her liability in tort to Tom, if any.

In relation to this question, I know that there is a duty of care owed and the fact that she is control etc.
    Do you have to go on and talk about the standard of care, causation and damages as well?

fe1hunzo wrote: »
    Abolition of ultra vires for LTD's
    The new architecture of the act, with distinct sections for each business structure.
    The introduction of restriction and disqualification undertakings.
    The codification of the directors duties
    Summary approval procedure
    Changes to the registration of charges w/ two stage procedure
    Repeal of tables A and C from the previous Companies Act.

Seems to have come up as a question nearly every year since 2014 so hopefully its one you can bank on but I could also see them not wanting to get overly predictable.

Is there any case law for this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Is there any case law for this question?
    Honestly not a lot, it seems to be more theory focused looking at the past reports.
    I'm just going to use historical cases to represent the different directors duties, and maybe some for ultra vires.
    You wouldn't need to go into any cases in depth anyways so use whatever cases you're learning for others and adapt them to fit this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 S.Louise

hi can you add me to the October 2017 thread please - sorry i'm new to boards.ie, i've no idea how to access it

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Would I be okay excluding the following for Equity;

Donatio Mortus Cause
    Constructive Trusts
    Satisfaction

I intend to have these other topics covered;

injunctions (all)
    rectification
    specific perfomance
    estoppel
    recission
    express trusts
    resulting trusts
    secret trusts
    trustees
    tracing

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Could someone please tell me what topics came up in March 2017 sitting. I would really appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

nmwcc wrote: »
    Would I be okay excluding the following for Equity;

Donatio Mortus Cause
    Constructive Trusts
    Satisfaction

I intend to have these other topics covered;

injunctions (all)
    rectification
    specific perfomance
    estoppel
    recission
    express trusts
    resulting trusts
    secret trusts
    trustees
    tracing

I think you might be pushing it my leaving out both constructive and charities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

DMC is a pretty handy question. And very regular. I would advise you to take it on. Just look at the past questions and they are all more or less same.
    I'd love it to come up

Similarly put a bit of effort into having some sort of concept of Charities.

Not to bad

Just apply PERC
    Public benefits
    Failures
    Charities Act
    Etc.

Again like DMC, very popular, nothing that complicated, just a matter of cramming some case law and a few examples of the Act (s)

It could get you an at least 50% + successful answer handily enough

• Registered Users Posts: 10 roosevelt93

illy.m wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me what topics came up in March 2017 sitting. I would really appreciate that.

Sent you a DM!

Anyone have criminal Law questions that came up in March? I mean like essay questions. ....eg....Presumption of Innocence or attempt or Ommissions or recklessness or Strict Liability etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Sent you a DM!

Thank yo very much, I am just updating my grid. If you need grids for any other subjects let me know. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

I'm very worried about how much we're expected to write!

Handwriting speed has always been a problem for me. At just over 30 minutes per answer I'll probably only squeeze out about 3, 3 and half pages per question.

Can any past students give me some advice on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Yes cloakroom in Red Cow. I believe last time I checked in legislation, I did so by midday the day before one of my exams but can't manage to remember if midday was the time limit or not. Can anyone confirm the this?
    Thanks[/quote]

You can hand Legislation in between 9:00am and 1pm and it will be on your desk the next day for the exam. If however, you hand it in before your exam, it takes approx 1/2 hour for it to be assigned to your desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Paleblood wrote: »
    I'm very worried about how much we're expected to write!

Handwriting speed has always been a problem for me. At just over 30 minutes per answer I'll probably only squeeze out about 3, 3 and half pages per question.

Can any past students give me some advice on this?

3-3.5 is the average answer I think. They're looking for quality not quantity, FE1 examiners constantly give out about fe1 students just writing down everything they know, whereas if you are addressing the major/relevant issues in the question your answer shouldn't be that long.

In Company last March I had an answer that was just over 2 pages and another that was a page and a half and I managed to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi, I was wondering if anybody could give me some guidance on the common question that appears on the EU paper as

"How have the principles or equivalence and practical possibility been developed by the union judicature to provide clear guidance for national courts on how they should deal with breaches of EU law".

I'm struggle with how to go about answering that question it is arises - any pointers would be great!

• Advertisement

Tort Law:

In relation to tort law, in Ireland am i right in saying we do not follow Alcock for psychiatric damages?
    As a result, do you not need to have close relationship pursuant to Kelly v Hennessy ? Or are the Kelly principles just more relaxed than Alcock and they see other relationships as being close?
    I think ALcock only really recognizes parental and marital but in the case Cuddy v Mays they highlighted that brothers was sufficient?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement