Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

FOHSMH254 wrote: »
    Not one for post mortems either...anyone think it's possible to pass with a 5th question of waffle and no cases? (About s238 and connected persons?)

I did last sitting, with a half a page and no cases for my 5th question.
    My answer was complete muck. I think he can be a pretty sound marker and if the paper was particularly hard or unusual that will be in your favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Overall it was terrible. 2 full questions on two separate CA2014 developments, and a relatively rare examinership appearance, took the place of usual dead certs like directors duties, transfers and restrictions. For anyone who took even a moderate risk, like myself, that would have been tough. I went through past papers and could answer at least 4 and stab a fifth. This time my fifth wasn't even a poke never mind a stab.

Anyway, it's done now. Time for a horrific day cramming constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

after Tort and company with no duties or slp I am feeling hopeless. Ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

I went through past papers and could answer at least 4 and stab a fifth. This time my fifth wasn't even a poke never mind a stab.

That was not a pleasant paper, but your "poke" comment just gave me my first laugh of the day. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

SLP was question 8 no???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

I am starting to this they are all set to be awful papers this sitting...
    Tort yesterday
    Company today

Lumi77 wrote: »
    I am starting to this they are all set to be awful papers this sitting...
    Tort yesterday
    Company today

Now am I dreading EU.

Just wondering if anyone did question two today
    What was it about

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Bayb12 wrote: »
    SLP was question 8 no???

I thought so, but wasn't sure which probably came across in my answer! :/

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bayb12

Well I threw in other waffle as well but that was my main argument

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 greenfrog24

Hi there! In constitutional, could someone explain Re Art 26 and The Employment Equality Bill 1996 [1997] and its relevance to Equality? Did the Court change its approach taken in Quinn Supermarket re the human personality doctrine? I'm finding it quite confusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Any tips for this constitutional exam'?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Bayb12 wrote: »
    SLP was question 8 no???

Yep.....horrible paper

Company Law today...WTF!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY...WTF!!!! Why would someone turn around and set a paper with no Directors Duties or Restrictions. What a horrible obscure paper. I know I'm not alone on this listening to the muffled postmortems on the Luas on the way back to Heuston. interestingly, no one could say "Oh I answered SLP on that" for instance. This is my final and I can see myself back at the Red Cow in March after this exam.... not happy. Even the Shareholders question was trapped with specifics. Answered 4.25 questions due to time. Paper threw me.I mean how do you answer a question on directors declaration of Solvency? (My 0.25 question). Hopefully examiner will be VERY lenient when marking.

Chuckler wrote: »
    Company Law today...WTF!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY...WTF!!!! Why would someone turn around and set a paper with no Directors Duties or Restrictions. What a horrible obscure paper. I know I'm not alone on this listening to the muffled postmortems on the Luas on the way back to Heuston. interestingly, no one could say "Oh I answered SLP on that" for instance. This is my final and I can see myself back at the Red Cow in March after this exam.... not happy. Even the Shareholders question was trapped with specifics. Answered 4.25 questions due to time. Paper threw me.I mean how do you answer a question on directors declaration of Solvency? (My 0.25 question). Hopefully examiner will be VERY lenient when marking.

All these complaints about Company today have been reassuring ironically. I'm quite sure that in years to come, the poor souls who follow us down the path of the FE1s will say "Christ that October 2017 paper was ugly".

I remember thinking that the Tort paper which chucked liability for animals or liability for fire was a sickener. But without doubt, today's Company paper was the biggest curveball I've seen yet.

All these complaints about Company today have been reassuring ironically. I'm quite sure that in years to come, the poor souls who follow us down the path of the FE1s will say "Christ that October 2017 paper was ugly".

I remember thinking that the Tort paper which chucked liability for animals or liability for fire was a sickener. But without doubt, today's Company paper was the biggest curveball I've seen yet.

The question on everybody's mind....hopefully the marker will be lenient. I hear stories about how people sit horrible exams and come out with great marks. For me, it's black and white. Think it's bad....it's really bad. Thinks it's good....bare pass! I willpost in December when the results come out (if I'm not sobered up by then)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional:

If you refer a whole Bill and one part is repugnant, does this mean that the whole Bill is?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Can anyone hazard their recollection of what came up today?

It might be useful to see where the examiners are coming from and I'd be hopeful I can help with a view to the next sittings to ensure people aren't caught out too badly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

What was Question 3 (Chapter 7 Part 4) about (particularly sneaky, the way that was asked)

What was Question 4 - s602 trying to get at?

These two, I wasn't sure what they were asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

It might be useful to see where the examiners are coming from and I'd be hopeful I can help with a view to the next sittings to ensure people aren't caught out too badly again.

Someone please send him the paper, if only so he can save the rest of us that have to sit it in march. It sounds horrific. After my day in Tort yesterday, I feel your pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Examinership, section 212/winding up for just & equitable reasons, s602, corporate borrowing, Summary Approval Procedure, adv & disadv of incorporation, Ltd v DAC compare & contrast and I have no idea what Q2 was about

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

This is a pretty poor copy, but legible at least.

bluntspoon wrote: »
    This is a pretty poor copy, but legible at least.

Hisssss send it back to hell!

SM1803 wrote: »
    Examinership, section 212/winding up for just & equitable reasons, s602, corporate borrowing, Summary Approval Procedure, adv & disadv of incorporation, Ltd v DAC compare & contrast and I have no idea what Q2 was about

I am still trying to find out what question 2 was about

Hisssss send it back to hell!

It was such a horrible paper. Can't find the words to describe my feeling right now :confused:

"SM1803 Examinership, section 212/winding up for just & equitable reasons, s602, corporate borrowing, Summary Approval Procedure, adv & disadv of incorporation, Ltd v DAC compare & contrast and I have no idea what Q2 was about"

Q2. Capital Maintenance Rules - Normally a question is asked on S.82 Financial Assistance. This time it was on the other aspect of Capital Maintenance - Financial Distributions - S.117. A similar question was asked once before in October 2008.

Its as if the examiner is viewing the previous high pass rate and thinks "Hmmmn, maybe I'm making this too easy" and we get the Nuclear Option...only the strongest survive....then comes the radiation poisoning!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Could anyone kindly share tips for Criminal and property law please...the rest of the exams were ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pottsss777

For criminal, would it be mad to leave out the criminal courts and arrest/presump of innocence/silence/bail?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

pottsss777 wrote: »
    For criminal, would it be mad to leave out the criminal courts and arrest/presump of innocence/silence/bail?

I would think you'd be ok to leave out the courts, but I'd have a skim over things like bail/silence etc. They could be weaved into a problem question, and criminal does favour a mixed bag. It'd be a shame to miss out on a couple marks for the sake of a line or two.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Lumi77 wrote: »
    I am still trying to find out what question 2 was about

I can understand the confusion in relation to Q2. Certainly not straight-forward. But it's not just capital maintenance rules because you are asked to advise someone who just bought all of the company's shares whether the transactions can be avoided.

The question is about directors' duties and more specifically fiduciary duties to the company. The company, now under the control of another, can seek to have the former directors account and or indemnify the company in relation to losses arising from the breach(es). I admit this is not straight-forward.

Obviously, it would be nice if you were given some information about the solvency of the company after the asset drain by the former directors but I think I would answer on both the bases being (a) the company is still solvent and (b) the company is now insolvent.

It is much easier to know where you're going in the event that the company is insolvent now.

It is further complicated by the lack of information on what, if any, relationship Janet had with Jason. The extent of Janet's knowledge of what Jason was at is important under the terms of the sections dealing with directors' duties etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement