Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭amkeane81

God i really despise all the entire alphabet v DPP cases :(

Haha! I hear you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey,

Equity query: Regarding Certainty of objects is the "is or is not" test laid down in MacPhail v Doulton the same as the "individual ascertain ability" test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

God i really despise all the entire alphabet v DPP cases :(

Should give them random quirky names like they do for hurricanes...............

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

Just wondering in a problem question forConstitutional which involves looking at if an infringement is proportionate do you apply both Heany and Tuohy or just one of them? Thanks.

Ferry.Man wrote: »
    Just wondering in a problem question forConstitutional which involves looking at if an infringement is proportionate do you apply both Heany and Tuohy or just one of them? Thanks.

It might depend on the right. I'd prob say both though unless it's clear (socioeconomic for example) that its toughy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

AMKEANE81:"I hope you're right! I got 46% twice and my head is melted now."[/quote]

I'm dubious over their 115 fee to recheck papers, especially as the examiner only gets about 20-25% of it.
    But, at 46%, if you can afford to 'gamble' I would say get a re-check.
    I'd love to know why it's 105 per exam (covers Red Cow, staff too etc). Yet 115 to check it again.
    I've yet to meet a wealthy FE1 candidate ..... no wonder....

AMKEANE81:"I hope you're right! I got 46% twice and my head is melted now."

I'm dubious over their 115 fee to recheck papers, especially as the examiner only gets about 20-25% of it.
    I'd love to know why it's 105 per exam (covers Red Cow, staff too etc). Yet 115 to check it again.
    I've yet to meet a wealthy FE1 candidate ..... no wonder....[/quote]

I know... it's suspicious. I checked it the first time - stayed at 46. Meant to get it done again but missed the cut off. Here's hoping it's 3rd time lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

amkeane81 wrote: »
    I've yet to meet a wealthy FE1 candidate ..... no wonder....

I know... it's suspicious. I checked it the first time - stayed at 46. Meant to get it done again but missed the cut off. Here's hoping it's 3rd time lucky.[/QUOTE]

If my mark comes back the same after rechecking I wouldn't mind so much in paying the €115 if I was given an opportunity to view my paper to see where I lost marks. Administratively, this wouldn't be a whole lot of work. Perhaps allow people to visit the Law Society on a selected date to view their paper if they wish and if you can't make it to view your paper on that day well then tough luck. A bit like the way the Leaving Cert rechecks work.

That's the worst bit about of these exams- rechecking your exam and getting the same mark but still scratching your head about where you went wrong!

Anyways, I'll not even open up this debate again.. I'll leave it until results day haha! Best of luck over the next week guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

AMKEANE81:"I hope you're right! I got 46% twice and my head is melted now."

I've yet to meet a wealthy FE1 candidate ..... no wonder....[/quote]

Recheck always came back with same mark so it seems.
    I am doubting they even look at the paper.
    I gave up on re checks and I only got it once. Exactly same mark no up no down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

any one get any predictions for EU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

SM1803 wrote: »
    any one get any predictions for EU

Direct Effect P
    Freedom and Citizenship, Services particular P
    Case Notes
    Competition Law P
    General Princples E
    Sources & legislative procedure E
    State Aid E
    Standing P/E

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

EU:

Leaving out preliminary reference procedure, Infringement proceedings, competition, merger and cases. Is this too much of a risk?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Flamingo125

EU:

Leaving out preliminary reference procedure, Infringement proceedings, competition, merger and cases. Is this too much of a risk?

I've left out all that & services & establishment so hope not🙈 The examiner seems to have put same topics for all his papers so far!

EU:

I'm leaving out all of competition law.
    Focusing on case notes, fmw, fmg, direct effect and institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FOHSMH254

EU Case notes could be a gimme...what's everyone covering? I have:

Zhu & Chen
    Pringle v Ireland
    Zambrano
    Microsoft v Commission
    Association Belge
    Dano v Leipzig
    Digital Rights Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Anyone know the general lowdown on the strictness of marking for constitutional? Those case note questions man -- it's such a lottery.

Anyone know the general lowdown on the strictness of marking for constitutional? Those case note questions man -- it's such a lottery.

Was it a tough paper? What came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

I thought it was a nice paper.
    Essay on separation of powers, constitutional interpretation, art 38.1
    Problems on FOE and assembly, access to courts and non delegation, property rights.
    Didn't even look at the case note question so not sure what came up there

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

I found marking pretty generous, didn't know any case notes going in but did the case note question based on doing those cases throughout the topics, passed with loads to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Nicolaou and Collins v Minister of Finance came up, not sure about the other two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

O'byrne v min for justice and east Donegal co-op Ltd were the other two. Thought it was a nice enough paper as well, especially after the trauma of yesterday!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

I answered three really thorough first questions, felt like I was never gonna finish and then my fourth was really rushed and couldn’t identify all the issues due to lack of time and then my fifth was an absolute scribble on case notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭kiwi33

About three sittings ago I did barely any study and I passed. For defamation I talked about freaking twitter! If ya kept writing ya never know!

Oh god yeah it wasn't anywhere near as bad as yesterday , I just just had a bit of a mind blank on the fair trial question and didn t say a few obvious ones. Overall 2 good answers, 1 decent, 1 risky and one pretty much a few paragraphs. Hopefully scrape it as it wasn't all that bad a paper. Just fatigue is kicking in on me now.

Can anyone tell me what the question advising William and the council was about? I said there is a right to access of the courts (but had no case law) and applying rationality test to the €3000 limit? Really confused!.. I said section 12 may be I breach of principles and policies

I was the same. Principles and policies weren't very expanded then tapped on about the minister going too far so the court might preserve the legislation. Also didn't have a case for right to access but said it anyway !

Anyone able to explain the difference between A110 and 30?

It says that 110 is in relation to internal tax system (imports exports and good produced domestically)

A30 is for custom duties but is a custom duty not a tax on imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LegalFianna

It says that 110 is in relation to internal tax system (imports exports and good produced domestically)

To put it simply Article 30 relates to charges applied to goods for crossing a border.

Article 110 applies to all taxes that are internal in the country regardless.

Hope that helps

To put it simply Article 30 relates to charges applied to goods for crossing a border.

Article 110 applies to all taxes that are internal in the country regardless.

Hope that helps

But does every imported good not have to cross a border?

Think 30 is where there is a payment of money due solely for crossing a frontier
    Whereas 110 is where the payment is related to the internal tax system of the ms
    I dont get this whole chapter at all ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 LegalFianna

But does every imported good not have to cross a border?

Yeah but article 30 relates to charges for crossing the border.

Given that I finish tomorrow let’s take beer as an example.

If im exporting beer and when it crosses the border in to a different country, it is charged for crossing that border - Article 30.

If in the country I’m exporting to, there’s a tax on all beer regardless of where it comes from (import or domestic) - Article 110

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement