Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows the deadline for dropping in legislative sources the day before an exam? Is it 1:00pm? Thanks!

Yes I always drop them day before

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Lumi77 wrote: »
    nmwcc wrote: »
    I have 4 passed. Came out of property and cried, literally did 3 questions and two joke attempts passed with about 12%. Constitutional I did 4 good questions and one page for 5th and passed with about 15% to spare and the same for criminal. Do not worry, you are looking for perfection right now because its right in front of you...Just make sure you keep a watch on your desk and do not go beyond the 35 for each and you are laughing.

I agree these are the type of exams that you just never know wherever u passed or not it did.
    When I did my first I studied 6 mths like mad I walked out of equity thinking I'll get a good high mark not just a pass. I failed with 3 points what I thought was the best paper ever. And passed all the other ones that were harder. I didn't sleep for two months trying to work out what I did wrong. On recheck I got exactly same mark.
    All they do is drive one mad on top of how draining they are ...these gave me stomach ulcer skin issues panick attacks all new to me.
    What's done is done nothing you can do now.
    Move on to next one.
    Our lecturer said the moment is done put the book away. That's it
    Don't let them get at you.

Thanks Lumi77,

It’s crazy what these god damn exams do to you. My stomach has been in bits. When I finally got in to bed last night to get my first decent night in a few days, my body actually wouldn’t shut down. It was in over drive. All it was doing was twitching... ha... I finally got a good night sleep to start studying for the next ones but god only those sitting FE1s can see where your coming from. It’s a crazy time on your mental and physical self I believe.

Thanks so much for the advice, I’m feeling much better after the sleep and recharged for the next two. This forum is fantastic by the way, especially for me who went to Australia for 3 years and came back to these exams and now know absolutely nobody doing them so it’s great to have all you guys here.

Thanks all of you for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

RyanMcG123 wrote: »
    but if the finder is a trespasser is it the owner of the freehold that's next entitled or the person holding the lease?

I think the owner of the freehold/leasehold will only have priority if they have established manifest control over everything found on the property (Tamworth/Flack/Parker being relevant cases), if they haven't then the true owner of the item has best title, followed by the finder - so finder in this case would be entitled to the item if those holding the property haven't established manifest control.

That's my interpretation, if it makes any sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

Does anyone have predictions for criminal law please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goconquer

If anyone had an Equity grid I would really appreciate it!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Sarakarp wrote: »
    Does anyone have predictions for criminal law please ?

Fe1hunzo suggested these yesterday

I'd say know sexual offences inside out.
    Know a bit about each defence.
    Manslaughter is a definite most years.
    Assault
    Theft/burglary
    Criminal procedure
    The courts especially the court of appeal and SCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Always know a bit about the likes of abandonment, accessory, conspiracy, common design, etc.

If you want to take a gamble on an essay prep, look over the likes of Presumption of innocence, attempt and ommissions, maybe causation also if you have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goconquer

The Examiner wrote a paper on Provocation this year too potentially may inspire him to put it on the exam. Quite a straight forward essay question if it comes up.

An essay question on provocation came up last exam, sadly unlikely to come up in a whole question again.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

i am going to try cover the following

homicide
    sexual offences
    offences against property
    public order
    defences
    bail/arrest/detention/sentencing

i am sure i am leaving out loads, but cant remember anything else :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Leraf wrote: »
    i am going to try cover the following

homicide
    sexual offences
    offences against property
    public order
    defences
    bail/arrest/detention/sentencing

i am sure i am leaving out loads, but cant remember anything else :(

I'm covering about the same. Criminal was supposed to be my back up but since company went so bad I'm really panicking now! I don't want to spend too much time on it and end up ignoring contract and equity. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FOHSMH254

I've got:

Homicide
    Sexual Offences
    Non-Fatal Offences
    Mens Rea and Actus Reus (strict liability, recklessness, causation etc)
    Most defences
    Bail
    Criminal Courts
    Presumption of Innocence

Definitely worrying about the fact that I've neglected property/theft, incohate and public order stuff though...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

FOHSMH254 wrote: »
    I've got:

Homicide
    Sexual Offences
    Non-Fatal Offences
    Mens Rea and Actus Reus (strict liability, recklessness, causation etc)
    Most defences
    Bail
    Criminal Courts
    Presumption of Innocence

Definitely worrying about the fact that I've neglected property/theft, incohate and public order stuff though...

i think there are such a mix of topics in the questions, the man broke in and held a syringe while screaming about god and then sexually assaulted her while talking on the phone with his friend about attempting a robbery while he was out on bail!!!

nightmare stuff, you gotta cover it all it seems or you will be left short on a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

I'm up to my eyes so won't get to criminal till tomorrow. dreading it as it's so wide to cover but better known bit about all then alot about half the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Leraf wrote: »
    i think there are such a mix of topics in the questions, the man broke in and held a syringe while screaming about god and then sexually assaulted her while talking on the phone with his friend about attempting a robbery while he was out on bail!!!

nightmare stuff, you gotta cover it all it seems or you will be left short on a question.

The past papers are absolutely vital for anyone doing Criminal -- there are a lot of topics but a lot of them are really really short. If you go through the past papers and look at all the little random things that come up (syringes, computer offences etc.) you will not be caught out. Also make sure you know the defences very well!

And remember, for anyone sitting it, there are a pile of topics in each question so try to plan your answer as well as you can. I made an absolute dog's dinner of my answers and they were so disjointed --- still passed mind you !

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

monroe89 wrote: »
    I think the owner of the freehold/leasehold will only have priority if they have established manifest control over everything found on the property (Tamworth/Flack/Parker being relevant cases), if they haven't then the true owner of the item has best title, followed by the finder - so finder in this case would be entitled to the item if those holding the property haven't established manifest control.

That's my interpretation, if it makes any sense!

I think it's different if the person is unlawfully on the land/trespassing.

Parker v British Airways - Donaldson MR followed Hanna v Peel - finder of an article who is lawfully on the land and who finds an article which is not attached to it or buried under it and who takes it into care and control has a title to it good against all except the true owner.

So if the person was trespassing they wouldn't have priority.

Elwes v Brigg is in relation to below the surface. But the general rule is that things found below the surface is that they belong to the owner of the freehold in the absence of the original owner, even if the owner of the freehold is not aware that they are there.

I watched a lecture in which the lecturer went through a problem question in relation to owner v occupier and she had said they occupier would probably win out! If i can find anything more on it I'll post it!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

PROPERTY

Can anyone tell me what came up in the last two sittings in regards to succession? Just wondering what I really need to focus on please!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

OMGWACA wrote: »
    PROPERTY

Can anyone tell me what came up in the last two sittings in regards to succession? Just wondering what I really need to focus on please!
    All I remember from last March is that there was one two part question with half on destruction of wills and half on intestacy rules (which I first thought was too good to be true, just had to copy from the act) and a problem question with a bunch of issues.
    I think there were aspects on valid formation, something about signatures happening while a witness wasn't looking or something and valid revocation and I think there was also something to do with it being the testator's child so had to bring in the moral obligation stuff. Maybe someone still has their copy of the paper lying around, that might be more helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarakarp

How do you get a refund form ?

Sarakarp wrote: »
    How do you get a refund form ?

Is it based on illness and inability to attend? I think if you get your medical cert, send it in and they decide subjectively. Not sure there is any formal process as that is possibly the only way you will get a refund.

Obviously they won't give you a refund, willy nilly. It would want to be a fairly strong reason. 20% off refund also (ie 80 odd quid)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 LadyCharlie

Hi folks,

I might be a bit late in the day with this but in relation to the property exam and legislation, where can I get Acts and is there a procedure for them to be checked prior to the exam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi folks,

I might be a bit late in the day with this but in relation to the property exam and legislation, where can I get Acts and is there a procedure for them to be checked prior to the exam?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Only thing you can bring in is Succession Act

You may ring this number first thing Monday morning and try begging to sort you out with one by the evening. They don't sell them over counter and they are a very unhelpful bunch.

Usually they are sent out by ordering online or over phone within a few days as they are stored in a warehouse. You will really have to beg them and I wouldn't be optimistic.

Office of the Minister of State
    52 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 2.................... (01) 647 6000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

check adverts .

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Username1994

Only thing you can bring in is Succession Act

LCLRA 2009 as well, though not as important.

LCLRA 2009 as well, though not as important.

cr*p, didn't know that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

If anyone who needs any legislation is near Wicklow Town, I can give you mine. Just send on a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Can anyone let me know what they're covering for Equity? Just looking to see what people are focusing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Can anyone let me know what they're covering for Equity? Just looking to see what people are focusing on.

I'm covering everything except Estoppel.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Covering everything bar Constructive Trusts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

DMCs seem to be consecutive years so I'm leaving it out.
    Cy Pres and Mareva likewise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement