Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Guys I am so so pushed for time for Equity... Could anyone hazard a guess as what I could possibly leave out? Leaving out constructive trusts as it is.. is it safe to leave out;

Promissory Estoppel
    DMC
    Strong v Bird

Anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

For criminal tomorrow, could anyone give me a summary of the definition of Denham J in DPP V Dolny? It's assault causing harm! Cannot find it for the life of me and it'll more than likely come up because of the DPP v Browne case from this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FOHSMH254

Anyone know what came up in Criminal in March 2017/October 2016?

I know it's likely "everything" but a few specifics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

characteristics of a crime
    provocation were 2 essay questons

special cc
    court criminal appeal was asked

bail mentioned in prob q

and the usual.
    the 4 part question didn't come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

LegalAnna wrote: »
    For criminal tomorrow, could anyone give me a summary of the definition of Denham J in DPP V Dolny? It's assault causing harm! Cannot find it for the life of me and it'll more than likely come up because of the DPP v Browne case from this year!

I'm not in the know .... what's the browne case

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

nmwcc wrote: »
    Guys I am so so pushed for time for Equity... Could anyone hazard a guess as what I could possibly leave out? Leaving out constructive trusts as it is.. is it safe to leave out;

Promissory Estoppel
    DMC
    Strong v Bird

Anything else?

First off, it's proprietary estoppel for Equity, not promissory. And yes, I'm leaving it out. It's appeared on the past two papers and it's not the smallest of subjects! My lecturer never actually advised us to skip anything, but he said if he was cutting he'd get rid of estoppel because the trade-off in terms of time versus likelihood of it appearing means it's not worth it this year.

DMC comes up every second year sitting and it was on the last paper, so yes, you're probably save cutting that out. There's an element of risk in making any of these decisions but some of them are more sensible than others and cutting DMC is as close to a safe bet as you'll get this year.

Strong v Bird. I'd revise it. It wasn't on the last paper and it comes up quite frequently. The key thing with it is that if it appears it might appear as part of an 'answer 2 of 3' type question. Those questions are straight-forward 'tell me all you know' essays. I'd hate for one of those questions to appear when I only had one of the topics covered. But if you have Strong v Bird you dramatically increase your chances of having the required 2 of 3.

My two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 LegalAnna

annmc882 wrote: »
    I'm not in the know .... what's the browne case

Its basically upholding that dpp v dolny was right and assault causing harm isn't the same definition as assault under s2. I just don't know what the definition is now for assault causing harm
    Also it upholds that you cannot consent to assault causing harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

FOHSMH254 wrote: »
    Anyone know what came up in Criminal in March 2017/October 2016?

I know it's likely "everything" but a few specifics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Spring 2017 was
    - Rape, consent, intoxication, bail.
    - Harassment, assault causing harm, sexual assault, theft, criminal damage, false imprisonment! Massive question.
    - Murder/manslaughter the defence of insanity. Also included the burden of proof as part (ii) reversed in the case of proving insanity, prove on balance of prob.
    - dangerous driving causing death/ vehicular manslaughter, included assault/robbery with defence of duress.
    - duty of care/ causation problem in relation to death of an elderly mother in care of daughter.

essays on
    - the defence of provocation
    - both the SCC and COA.
    - classification of offences.

Autumn 2016-
    Two part problem question on - common design/joint enterprise and perjury.
    - assault/ sexual assault and attempted rape.
    - assault causing harm, defence of infancy, causation, reasonable use of force
    - assault, criminal damage, false imprisonment, defences of insanity, incitement an issue here too.
    - another two part problem w/ (i) unlawful arrest, no reasons provided for arrest.
    (ii) presumption of innocence.
    - harassment, section 4 rape, aggravated robbery, assault causing harm, bail.
    - dangerous driving, causation, duty of care in relation to severance of arm of individual trapped in car by medical staff (unusual), duty of care of medical staff, failure to recognise sepsis leading to death by overworked doctor.

essays on
    - all the criminal courts.
    - criminal recklessness essay.

Hope any of that makes sense. Theres a few patterns there for sure. Most past papers are pretty similar to these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Legal23

Hi Guys,

Am I the only one who is feeling completely out of my depth here?
    This is my very first sitting. I am sitting Property, Contract and Equity this week. I have condensed notes over and over since early this year and going over and over sample questions. I swear I feel like I know absolutely nothing right now! Feel like I have been wasting my time.

Any advise on how to revise all this and make it stick, would be much appreciated. I feel like not sitting them at this point in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Would anyone mind telling me what the Mens Rea of sexual assault is? Is it intention only or does it also include recklessness? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Camron_16

Hey Would anyone have an up to date Equity grid ? trying to see what i could possibly cut out.

Thanks

Legal23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

This is my very first sitting. I am sitting Property, Contract and Equity this week. I have condensed notes over and over since early this year and going over and over sample questions. I swear I feel like I know absolutely nothing right now! Feel like I have been wasting my time.

Any advise on how to revise all this and make it stick, would be much appreciated. I feel like not sitting them at this point in time!

Get an A3 page, or tape a few A4s together, and start mapping out each topic, literally join the dots between the various cases and sub-topics. Start building up a mental picture of how everything connects.

I'm revising Mareva injunctions right now and I can 'see the story' on each page, beginning with the Nippon Yusen Kaisha case at the top of the page, descending all the way down to recent case law, with little green coloured 'branches' here and there where the law has changed, and red coloured 'twigs' where some academic commentary applies.

It sounds ridiculous but I can close my eyes and see this thing in front of me with cases and quotes sticking out of it like Lord Denning's Christmas tree.

Hi Guys,

By the way, have you studied law before or are you coming from another discipline?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Hi Guys,

Answer this: what's the worst that can happen?
    You fail and have to do them again? If you don't bother you're in that boat regardless.
    Do your best this week. That's all you can do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

Hi Guys,

You'll be absolutely fine. The main thing is to stay calm. If you get yourself into a panic your brain will freeze. I came out of contract thinking there was no way in hell I had passed it and i did. I honestly believe I passed because I didn't panic when everyone realised it was a rough as hell paper and I put down whatever I could.

Don't overload yourself, try and be reasonable with yourself. Try have one case for every sub-topic and anything else is a bonus. You will be amazed what comes back to you in the exam.

I can't stress how important I find it to do a skeletal answer at the start for all my answers; cases, legislation etc, so that when I'm in hour 3 and zonked I just have to flick forward to see what map I made out for myself and what cases and statue I have. Also helps for structure and if you're a bit stuck on time at the end.

Before I went into equity I didn't look at anything for 20 minutes before the exam, so then when I opened the paper everything was on a level pegging in my brain so when I read the questions the info I needed came to me, not what I had just read. Again, different strokes for different folk so whatever works for you.

But trust me on remaining calm. I read once that your body reacts to nerves and excitement the same way, it's just how your brain processes it. Stay calm and you'll rock it!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

I just learned from this thread about the new sexual offences act - my manual has nothing about it even though it's the most recently updated version. Should I just avoid answering any questions on sexual offences with children since that seems to be what it's amending? I only know the law from the 2006 act.

Paleblood wrote: »
    By the way, have you studied law before or are you coming from another discipline?
    Thanks for your response. I'll give this a try. I have studied law before but I haven't sat an exam in a few years. Think I am just starting to panic to be honest. I probably do know what I have revised as I have put a lot of work into it but just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the minute!

OMGWACA wrote: »
    You'll be absolutely fine. The main thing is to stay calm. If you get yourself into a panic your brain will freeze. I came out of contract thinking there was no way in hell I had passed it and i did. I honestly believe I passed because I didn't panic when everyone realised it was a rough as hell paper and I put down whatever I could.

Don't overload yourself, try and be reasonable with yourself. Try have one case for every sub-topic and anything else is a bonus. You will be amazed what comes back to you in the exam.

I can't stress how important I find it to do a skeletal answer at the start for all my answers; cases, legislation etc, so that when I'm in hour 3 and zonked I just have to flick forward to see what map I made out for myself and what cases and statue I have. Also helps for structure and if you're a bit stuck on time at the end.

Before I went into equity I didn't look at anything for 20 minutes before the exam, so then when I opened the paper everything was on a level pegging in my brain so when I read the questions the info I needed came to me, not what I had just read. Again, different strokes for different folk so whatever works for you.

But trust me on remaining calm. I read once that your body reacts to nerves and excitement the same way, it's just how your brain processes it. Stay calm and you'll rock it!
    Thanks so much for the positive response and your encouraging words of advise. I do think I am panicking now at this stage. I suppose all we can do is try! thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

Thanks for your response. I'll give this a try. I have studied law before but I haven't sat an exam in a few years. Think I am just starting to panic to be honest. I probably do know what I have revised as I have put a lot of work into it but just feeling a bit overwhelmed at the minute!

Sat 4 exams in March and passed all four and definitely think to key to passing was staying calm. Even the night before when i still had all the topics to go over just staying calm makes a huge difference in being able to take in the material.

And don't panic if you think you cant answer the 5 questions in the exam just do the ones you can and make a stab at the others (in most of my exams i struggled for a fifth question) you'd be surprised on second reading you will probably recognise parts of the question you could answer on!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'll back up the stay calm advice. My physio gave the same advice before my last sitting and convinced me to try acupuncture. That sitting was the first time (out of 4) that I got my results and didn't cry. I know that it's easier said than done but if you can try it, it will help. Something as simple as breathing exercises will put your mind and body into a better place.

I know this sounds like a load of crap because that's what I thought when I saw this kind of advice being made before but it genuinely does help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Hi Guys,

My first sitting was in March of this year and I felt the exact same! The nerves and stress got the better of me and I only passed 1 out of 3. The best advice that I can give you is to try and relax and calm down I know its way easier said than done!! :rolleyes:

My first 2 exams were equity (which went horribly) and I had company the next day after that I was so down and out, stressed, tired and just completely overwhelmed and that exam didn't go great. By the time contract came around, I had time to calm down and process things, since I thought I failed the first 2 exams (which I did), I went into the contract exam more relaxed thinking whatever happened it didn't really matter because I had already failed my first 2. And of course, contract was the one I passed and I didn't think when I left the exam that I passed or it was particularly easy I just think it was because I wasn't feeling the same level of nerves and stress.

When I think back to March, I couldn't eat at all or sleep properly and that wasn't exactly helping! It so daunting sitting them the first time! I feel so much more at ease this time literally just because I've experienced it and have a some familiarity with the process. Maybe try going for a walk and clearing your head, I find that really helps! Its nice to get away from the desk for a while and its good for de-stressing and refocusing. I stayed chained to the desk last time and that didn't do me any favours!

I know you feel like there is no point even sitting them, there is because you'll have the experience and it will help for the next time! As its been said the worst you can do is fail and you can just do them again! Its disappointing at the time if you do fail but you know you're not alone. As cliche as it sounds you know more than you think you do and if you can stay calm something will always come back to you.

Sorry about the long post I hope it helps! :o

tiddy_boo wrote: »
    My first sitting was in March of this year and I felt the exact same! The nerves and stress got the better of me and I only passed 1 out of 3. The best advice that I can give you is to try and relax and calm down I know its way easier said than done!! :rolleyes:

My first 2 exams were equity (which went horribly) and I had company the next day after that I was so down and out, stressed, tired and just completely overwhelmed and that exam didn't go great. By the time contract came around, I had time to calm down and process things, since I thought I failed the first 2 exams (which I did), I went into the contract exam more relaxed thinking whatever happened it didn't really matter because I had already failed my first 2. And of course, contract was the one I passed and I didn't think when I left the exam that I passed or it was particularly easy I just think it was because I wasn't feeling the same level of nerves and stress.

When I think back to March, I couldn't eat at all or sleep properly and that wasn't exactly helping! It so daunting sitting them the first time! I feel so much more at ease this time literally just because I've experienced it and have a some familiarity with the process. Maybe try going for a walk and clearing your head, I find that really helps! Its nice to get away from the desk for a while and its good for de-stressing and refocusing. I stayed chained to the desk last time and that didn't do me any favours!

I know you feel like there is no point even sitting them, there is because you'll have the experience and it will help for the next time! As its been said the worst you can do is fail and you can just do them again! Its disappointing at the time if you do fail but you know you're not alone. As cliche as it sounds you know more than you think you do and if you can stay calm something will always come back to you.

Sorry about the long post I hope it helps! :o
    Thanks so much for your response, you have literally just described exactly how I am feeling. Thank god I am not on my own.

I feel 100% better after posting earlier with all the advise I am receiving. I suppose the best I can do is give it a shot and see what happens. What's the worse that can happen I will have to repeat, which isn't the end of the world.

I have started mapping as suggested by Paleblood and feel a bit more on top of things!

Thanks so much for all the advise, it is appreciated so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Thanks so much for your response, you have literally just described exactly how I am feeling. Thank god I am not on my own.

I feel 100% better after posting earlier with all the advise I am receiving. I suppose the best I can do is give it a shot and see what happens. What's the worse that can happen I will have to repeat, which isn't the end of the world.

I have started mapping as suggested by Paleblood and feel a bit more on top of things!

Thanks so much for all the advise, it is appreciated so much.

Glad to hear it! You'll be happy that you sat them, even just for doing something so daunting that you REALLY didn't want to! You would feel worse if you didn't do them. I considered not going to that contract exam but I'm glad I did because it gave me the reassurance that I could actually pass one of them.

Good luck with them anyway, I'm doing contract and equity too so hopefully they will be nice papers :D

tiddy_boo wrote: »
    Glad to hear it! You'll be happy that you sat them, even just for doing something so daunting that you REALLY didn't want to! You would feel worse if you didn't do them. I considered not going to that contract exam but I'm glad I did because it gave me the reassurance that I could actually pass one of them.

Good luck with them anyway, I'm doing contract and equity too so hopefully they will be nice papers :D
    Fingers crossed they are nice papers. Best of luck to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Is criminal hard to pass? not feeling very confident..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

SM1803 wrote: »
    Is criminal hard to pass? not feeling very confident..

I think it has one of the highest pass rates. Passed it in my first and second sittings of the FE1's and I had given way more time to contract and company both times.

It's definitely one of the subjects that you end up remembering way more than you thought you knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Anyone know if you still have to know the old forms of prescription re. Easements?

My girlfriend is dropping in my legislation into the Red Cow tomorrow ahead of property on Tuesday (no point in me travelling to Dublin just to do it).

Is there anything she needs? Just my exam number I assume? Do I write the number on the legislation myself or will they insist on doing it themselves?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

Paleblood wrote: »
    My girlfriend is dropping in my legislation into the Red Cow tomorrow ahead of property on Tuesday (no point in me travelling to Dublin just to do it).

Is there anything she needs? Just my exam number I assume? Do I write the number on the legislation myself or will they insist on doing it themselves?

Thanks.

Only need to write the candidate number on it. It's the shorter one. You can also hand it in on morning of exam and get it back about half hour/45 minutes into the exam.

• Advertisement

Ferry.Man wrote: »
    Only need to write the candidate number on it. It's the shorter one. You can also hand it in on morning of exam and get it back about half hour/45 minutes into the exam.

Is that 100%? My only reference point is the info we received via post and it only says that it must be handed in 'one day' before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement