Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ferry.Man

Ya it is. I did it when I sat Property in March and I'll be doing the same this sitting with Company. I've seen good few people do it this year aswell. I'm sure a few on here have done it this sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Ferry.Man wrote: »
    Ya it is. I did it when I sat Property in March and I'll be doing the same this sitting with Company. I've seen good few people do it this year aswell. I'm sure a few on here have done it this sitting.

I have some bad news for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

Many thanks!

Masked Man wrote: »
    I have some bad news for you...

With Contract....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lawhopeful

Would any kind soul like to tell me what topics they're doing for contract? I'm trying to see what I can leave out in this last minute cram sesh

• Advertisement

Lawhopeful wrote: »
    Would any kind soul like to tell me what topics they're doing for contract? I'm trying to see what I can leave out in this last minute cram sesh

Offer/Acceptance
    Consideration/Estoppel
    Capacity of Minors
    Terms
    Exemption Clauses/Consumer Contracts
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Discharge of Contracts
    Remedies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Contract

As a follow on to the above - I haven't quite got round to doing a past paper assessment as of yet for Contract. Does anyone know if the topics tend to be mixed a-la-Criminal or are they generally self-contained? This is for the problem questions --- I am aware that the essays tend to be a moveable feast.

Appreciate there can always be a certain degree of topic mixing to allow those seeking the Lord Codswallop Scholarship for highest marks but I'm very much a 50/100 kinda guy.

Contract

As a follow on to the above - I haven't quite got round to doing a past paper assessment as of yet for Contract. Does anyone know if the topics tend to be mixed a-la-Criminal or are they generally self-contained? This is for the problem questions --- I am aware that the essays tend to be a moveable feast.

Appreciate there can always be a certain degree of topic mixing to allow those seeking the Lord Codswallop Scholarship for highest marks but I'm very much a 50/100 kinda guy.

Problems questions very much mixed in Contract.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Would anyone mind telling me what the Mens Rea of sexual assault is? Is it intention only or does it also include recklessness? Thanks!

You can't be reckless in relation to whether or not you're sexually assaulting someone. R v. Court says the prosecution has to prove not only that there was an intention to assault but that the intention was indecent (or sexual.)

Court (the defendant, not the Court!) slapped a 12-year-old girl on the backside 12 times in a shop he was working in and when asked by policy why he did it - he replied, "I don't know, buttock fetish?"

He pleaded guilty to assault but was convicted of indecent assault on the basis of the above statement, which was ruled to be admissible. It's a HoL case. One dissenting Law Lord (Lord Goff.)

Problems questions very much mixed in Contract.

Splendid . . . .

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Legal23 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Am I the only one who is feeling completely out of my depth here?
    This is my very first sitting. I am sitting Property, Contract and Equity this week. I have condensed notes over and over since early this year and going over and over sample questions. I swear I feel like I know absolutely nothing right now! Feel like I have been wasting my time.

Any advise on how to revise all this and make it stick, would be much appreciated. I feel like not sitting them at this point in time!

Is it 3 you're doing first time and 5 in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dr Ice

Are you sure? As per the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997,

'A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly'.

I thought this was the first element of sexual assault, indecency being the second element and to be determined by an objective standard.

I might be wrong...?
    You can't be reckless in relation to whether or not you're sexually assaulting someone. R v. Court says the prosecution has to prove not only that there was an intention to assault but that the intention was indecent (or sexual.)

Court (the defendant, not the Court!) slapped a 12-year-old girl on the backside 12 times in a shop he was working in and when asked by policy why he did it - he replied, "I don't know, buttock fetish?"

He pleaded guilty to assault but was convicted of indecent assault on the basis of the above statement, which was ruled to be admissible. It's a HoL case. One dissenting Law Lord (Lord Goff.)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Dr Ice wrote: »
    Are you sure? As per the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act, 1997,

'A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly'.

I thought this was the first element of sexual assault, indecency being the second element and to be determined by an objective standard.

I might be wrong...?

Yes, you're wrong. :pac:

The difference between assault simpliciter and sexual assault is that there has to be an indecent intention behind the assault for it to be sexual assault. You cannot be both intentionally indecently assaulting someone and reckless as to whether there's a sexual element. They are mutually exclusive.

While recklessness forms a part of the mens rea for assault simpliciter, it is very much impossible for recklessness to have a role to play in sexual assault by virtue of the makeup of the offence as per R v. Court, above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 icsheep

Hi guys!
    Just wondering, how bankable is it to leave dropping the legislation to the day of the exam itself? Any potential for rejection then? I will try ringing the Law Soc tomorrow but they have a habit of not picking up (which I can understand, busy time).

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

icsheep wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Just wondering, how bankable is it to leave dropping the legislation to the day of the exam itself? Any potential for rejection then? I will try ringing the Law Soc tomorrow but they have a habit of not picking up (which I can understand, busy time).
    I forgot to drop in my constitution the day before the Constitutional exam. I was also worried about that. Dropped it in on the day at around 8.30, they brought it to my desk before 10. She had a pile of about 10 other constitutions so I'd say it's pretty common for people to hand them in the morning so they probably won't start refusing to take them without giving some kind of advance notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Does anyone have predictions at all for contract?? would hugely appreciate

nmwcc wrote: »
    Does anyone have predictions at all for contract?? would hugely appreciate

What have you covered so far?

A number of topics simply have to be studied.

Offer/acceptance (studied together)
    Consideration/estoppel (studied together)
    Terms
    Mistake
    Consumer contacts/exemption clause (studied together)
    Damages
    Remedies.

That is the backbone of the subject and you need to get those covered before you start getting into predictions and guesswork.

Paleblood wrote: »
    What have you covered so far?

A number of topics simply have to be studied.

Offer/acceptance (studied together)
    Consideration/estoppel (studied together)
    Terms
    Mistake
    Consumer contacts/exemption clause (studied together)
    Damages
    Remedies.

That is the backbone of the subject and you need to get those covered before you start getting into predictions and guesswork.

Brill thanks, I have those covered. Am I right in saying its promissory and proprietary estoppel to be covered in contract?

Just wondering how people are approaching the study of Contractual Terms for Contract?

Seems to be a few different parts to it and can come up in a few different ways?

Brill thanks, I have those covered. Am I right in saying its promissory and proprietary estoppel to be covered in contract?

Yep, promissory for contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭OMGWACA

PROPERTY

Anyone have any sample answers re the role of the PRA/pros of the registration system/chronology of legislation charting the move towards registration pretty pretty please?

Last minute as per usual so trying to cram a lot in in a day!

It's the day before the exam and I'm only now just turning the first page on Succession in my manual, which accounts for a full 40% of the exam. A rather spectacular fcuk up, even by my lowly standards.

Paleblood wrote: »
    It's the day before the exam and I'm only now just turning the first page on Succession in my manual, which accounts for a full 40% of the exam. A rather spectacular fcuk up, even by my lowly standards.

I've barely touched Contract even now -- been focusing on equity . . .

The Property exam tends not to be overly nuanced. The important thing is that, regardless of whether you look at Succession today or 2 weeks ago, it WILL come up and it will likely be two separate questions. So at least you know having a good read at it today and highlighting the main points will give you something to say for 2 questions.

I've barely touched Contract even now -- been focusing on equity . . .

The Property exam tends not to be overly nuanced. The important thing is that, regardless of whether you look at Succession today or 2 weeks ago, it WILL come up and it will likely be two separate questions. So at least you know having a good read at it today and highlighting the main points will give you something to say for 2 questions.

To be fair I've done a prep course, so I sat through 3 hours of lectures on succession about two months ago. So I'm not completely raw. Nonetheless, leaving it until now to start making notes and learning off material wasn't very clever.

I feel its utterly impossible for me to pass contract and equity one day after another. hopelessness has officially set in

• Registered Users Posts: 28 vita.s

I feel its utterly impossible for me to pass contract and equity one day after another. hopelessness has officially set in
    Don't despair, you can get a lot done in one evening. I had three exams in a row last sitting and before the last one I was so ready to give up. But you might as well try your best and see what happens.
    Give yourself a couple of hours after the exam, take a nap, don't think about anything and then get back to studying. You'd be surprised how much you can manage to cram in.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

So fisheries act 1959 eh? ;) what everyone think? I hate the post-mortem, and I only completed 4 questions (bad time management) although I literally vomited up everything I possibly knew whether relevant or not (and oh some of it was noooot).

Any tips for Contract and Equity would be v welcome (what to make sure to do, what not to do!), in this thread or by PM....

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14 icsheep

Did pretty well in Contract (last sitting) purely by understanding the very core concepts of every major topic. Questions are a bit mixed so that means, lesser amount of case law required (or that's what I did). Point out ALL relevant areas of law and try and substantiate by law where you can. I feel PBQs are a good way to go in contract because half of the question is done by just identifying the issues.

It's crazy how much knowledge you can display by using the Acts for consumer law questions.

Don't know anything about Equity :P Which sucks because I'd be sitting it too! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Transition Metal

Ordered property legislation last week, but still hasn't arrived. How necessary is it for the exam? Only options now are to either wing it, or try to convince the law society to let me use a printout.

• Advertisement

Ordered property legislation last week, but still hasn't arrived. How necessary is it for the exam? Only options now are to either wing it, or try to convince the law society to let me use a printout.

They are super strict on not allowing print outs so maybe see if you can get it off someone who did the exams before. I found it helpful as it reduced the amount of stuff I had to learn off by heart!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement