Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 icsheep

Sorry if this is fairly obvious but is it right to say that while the 2009 Act is key, it hasn't repealed the previous Charities Acts in general? Like, does Charities Act 1961 still apply for legacies for tombs and monuments?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

icsheep wrote: »
    Sorry if this is fairly obvious but is it right to say that while the 2009 Act is key, it hasn't repealed the previous Charities Acts in general? Like, does Charities Act 1961 still apply for legacies for tombs and monuments?

I'd also like to know this and whether the rule against perpetuities is in effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Anastaciag94

tiddy_boo wrote: »
    Hey guys, if anyone has March's equity paper and could send it on to me I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

PM me your email and I'll send it to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dsalmon91

Can anyone please tell me if Undue Influence came up in the last Equity sitting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Dsalmon91 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me if Undue Influence came up in the last Equity sitting. Thanks

Yes it did!

• Advertisement

BASHBAG wrote: »
    I'd also like to know this and whether the rule against perpetuities is in effect?

The rule against perpetuities is in effect under section 50 of the charities act 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭supersaint3

Anyone doing Anton the killer Piller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Raoisle1900

Anyone doing Anton the killer Piller?

Yeah, it hasn't come up in the past five sittings so I thought it might this time round. Have no idea about how predictable this examiner is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Paleblood wrote: »
    Fourth time? Jesus that's after terrifying me. Have you passed many others? What grades did you get in the other three Contract attempts? This is my first sitting so if I don't pass three I'll just have to learn from it and have another go, but I don't know if I'd have the stomach to keep going chasing the same subjects. No offence to you in particular, but at what point would you just admit defeat?

The first time I sat it together with Tort. They were my last 2 exams and I was completely burned out from studying and working full time and chose to go on holidays the week before the exams to perk the last bit of sanity I had left at the time. Failed Tort with 46 and Contract with 39. I went into Contract with 40% effort and deserved the 39.

The second time I sat it with Tort and passed Tort well but failed Contract again. This time, despite going in with twice the material, I only went up with 1%. I was totally deflated as to where I went wrong but realised there is a totally different exam technique required for this exam and I was going the wrong way about it.

Sat it again in March and just had an all round "bad exam"- memory slush, failed to recognise areas that I actually knew well until after the exam. 40% again!

Soooo this time I went with a completely different approach. I only picked up my notes about 4 weeks ago. Blatantly refused to spend Summer saturdays at my desk. I scrapped the manual, kept some of my base notes and thanks to another Boardsie I was introduced to the e-law-resources online which I used to bulk up my notes. I noticed from the examiners report (first time getting my hands on it before this exam would you believe!) that many of the cases she mentioned didn't even appear in the manual and the manual I had failed to point out key areas.

Now I'm not saying by any means that I am 100% confident I passed today because there is no way of knowing with these exams, most of all Contract but I was confident that I was able to identify 90% of the issues asked and feel that I gave it my best shot in backing up the issues with relevant cases and principles. I didn't word vomit with cases like I would have previously done, I just put the absolute necessaries in.

I have 7 in the bag and I pat myself on the back for getting the first 6 first time working full time and sacrificing every inch of free time to study, much to the detriment of my mental health at times, so I will keep ploughing on for another while! I admire people who fail their first three and pick themselves up to try them again. Not sure how many times I could attempt my first three without throwing in the towel though. When the results came out back in May I was gutted I was missing Blackhall this year but everything happens for a reason and I see that now :) I'll get there eventually!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Jesus that sounds a dose. Sat 4 last Oct but failed 2 so had to do the 4 again in March. (While doing my LLM).
    Failed Equity both times so dreading tomorrow but feel I know it inside out. Gut feel I failed Contract today as I only finished my LLM Dissertation 3 weeks ago and THEN opened the books.
    It's soul destroying too as I appealed Equity (46%) and it stayed at 46%

Whether I have to do 3 or 5 in March, I'm starting study in a few weeks. Procrastination is the enemy of the FE1s.
    BEST case scenario I have to do EU, Tort and Constitutional :0 (

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

smeal wrote:
    Soooo this time I went with a completely different approach. I only picked up my notes about 4 weeks ago. Blatantly refused to spend Summer saturdays at my desk. I scrapped the manual, kept some of my base notes and thanks to another Boardsie I was introduced to the e-law-resources online which I used to bulk up my notes. I noticed from the examiners report (first time getting my hands on it before this exam would you believe!) that many of the cases she mentioned didn't even appear in the manual and the manual I had failed to point out key areas.

Hi smeal I too have struggled with exams for various reasons or circumstances outside my control. However I have recently noticed that the notes I also was working from did not have alot of important caselaw or points. This has left me so disappointed. As if you are not putting in the hard work and then realise you can't even rely on the study material. I might have to buy a few nutshells for the new sitting to be able to update my notes and also do a bit more online research. What online resources are you referring to do you mind me asking, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

smeal wrote: »
    The first time I sat it together with Tort. They were my last 2 exams and I was completely burned out from studying and working full time and chose to go on holidays the week before the exams to perk the last bit of sanity I had left at the time. Failed Tort with 46 and Contract with 39. I went into Contract with 40% effort and deserved the 39.

The second time I sat it with Tort and passed Tort well but failed Contract again. This time, despite going in with twice the material, I only went up with 1%. I was totally deflated as to where I went wrong but realised there is a totally different exam technique required for this exam and I was going the wrong way about it.

Sat it again in March and just had an all round "bad exam"- memory slush, failed to recognise areas that I actually knew well until after the exam. 40% again!

Now I'm not saying by any means that I am 100% confident I passed today because there is no way of knowing with these exams, most of all Contract but I was confident that I was able to identify 90% of the issues asked and feel that I gave it my best shot in backing up the issues with relevant cases and principles. I didn't word vomit with cases like I would have previously done, I just put the absolute necessaries in.

I have 7 in the bag and I pat myself on the back for getting the first 6 first time working full time and sacrificing every inch of free time to study, much to the detriment of my mental health at times, so I will keep ploughing on for another while! I admire people who fail their first three and pick themselves up to try them again. Not sure how many times I could attempt my first three without throwing in the towel though. When the results came out back in May I was gutted I was missing Blackhall this year but everything happens for a reason and I see that now :) I'll get there eventually!!

Wow, fair play to you for keeping going at it. You have 7 in the bag so of course you need to keeping going until you get them all. I get I was just imagining myself having to keep coming back for the first three. I'd probably take 3 or 4 attempts before I said to myself "this isn't for me".

Anyway, results in 6 weeks. We'll see what I'm made of then! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 soso12345

Can anybody tell me what topics came up in the Contract exam today? Or even send me on a copy of the paper, would love to see how it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shellbm

For the question today involving Owen, can I ask the general approach?

I said it was a business to business contract so section 14,15,16 of the SOGSSA could be contracted out of as per 55 (4), however on the facts I did not think that it was "fair and reasonable" as per George Mitchell Ltd v Finney Locks Seeds examination of that term. I then went on say that Section 14 therefore did apply to Owens case and it was not of "merchantable quality" - named 2 cases or "fit for purpose" -and a couple of cases.

Part B I was completly thrown and said that despite Owens belief that he was entitled to cancel, as per Raineri v Miles, ignorance of the law is no excuse and this was a fundamental breach of the contract and he would be liable for damages. I referred to the deposit part and said that a legally binding contract had still formed as a promise to provide consideration is still consideration, therefore the company were entitled to sue.

Can anyone direct me as to whether I may have hit any mark on this?? So deflated I am DREADING equity after the mess i made today

Here are some predictions!

Hi smeal I too have struggled with exams for various reasons or circumstances outside my control. However I have recently noticed that the notes I also was working from did not have alot of important caselaw or points. This has left me so disappointed. As if you are not putting in the hard work and then realise you can't even rely on the study material. I might have to buy a few nutshells for the new sitting to be able to update my notes and also do a bit more online research. What online resources are you referring to do you mind me asking, thanks

Hi Vegetarian.

I used this website http://www.e-lawresources.co.uk. Now, its UK based so it wouldn't be as useful for other subjects and obviously doesn't include Irish caselaw but I found it explains really well the major case law and fundamental principles that the Irish case law has used as authority.

:)

Whether I have to do 3 or 5 in March, I'm starting study in a few weeks. Procrastination is the enemy of the FE1s.

Yeah you are just right as the March exams come around so quick. With the results not coming out until the end of the November and Xmas in the middle you really only have about 10/11 weeks to study after results whereas with the October sitting you have about 17 weeks from the results at the end of May.

Fair play on sitting these horrors while doing the LLM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

yournerd wrote: »

Beauty. Does anyone happen to have previous experience with the reliability of these ?

.....asking for a friend....

Beauty. Does anyone happen to have previous experience with the reliability of these ?

.....asking for a friend....

I have actually checked the NBN notes every year and they are about 80/90% correct with what came up but then again who knows right?

Yeah you are just right as the March exams come around so quick. With the results not coming out until the end of the November and Xmas in the middle you really only have about 10/11 weeks to study after results whereas with the October sitting you have about 17 weeks from the results at the end of May.

I promised myself that I would start studying for the next ones at the end of this month because it really is all about time and covering everything with these exams! Just hope I am not sitting 8 in March ... :o

• Advertisement

Fortunately I just finished the LLM. Studied Company, Criminal, Property and (failed) Equity during. I'd be screwed doing the others this year. In fact, I'm already worried about them. These exams far exceed the stress of the BCL versions

shellbm wrote: »
    For the question today involving Owen, can I ask the general approach?

I said it was a business to business contract so section 14,15,16 of the SOGSSA could be contracted out of as per 55 (4), however on the facts I did not think that it was "fair and reasonable" as per George Mitchell Ltd v Finney Locks Seeds examination of that term. I then went on say that Section 14 therefore did apply to Owens case and it was not of "merchantable quality" - named 2 cases or "fit for purpose" -and a couple of cases.

Part B I was completly thrown and said that despite Owens belief that he was entitled to cancel, as per Raineri v Miles, ignorance of the law is no excuse and this was a fundamental breach of the contract and he would be liable for damages. I referred to the deposit part and said that a legally binding contract had still formed as a promise to provide consideration is still consideration, therefore the company were entitled to sue.

Can anyone direct me as to whether I may have hit any mark on this?? So deflated I am DREADING equity after the mess i made today

Looks good to me. It was the last Q I did and hit a blank. I referred to the Unfair Terms in the Schedule of the SoG'80 though.
    I hit a blank in B. Thinking now it looks like Anticipatory Breach but a promise is consideration as defined in Dunlop v Selfrridge.
    Ah I hope I scraped the exam. I deserve to fail given the work I put in though

Good luck tomorrow Equity folk -- thanks for providing me with a sense of solidarity and a venting platform.

The guy at the Red Cow bar with the Bushmills 16 will be me. I may have to call my boss about the minor detail of my out-of-office saying I'm back Friday morning.

Good luck tomorrow Equity folk -- thanks for providing me with a sense of solidarity and a venting platform.

The guy at the Red Cow bar with the Bushmills 16 will be me. I may have to call my boss about the minor detail of my out-of-office saying I'm back Friday morning.

Same :):):) I am dying for a drink!!
    And good luck to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nmwcc

Is it safe to leave out the doctrine of cy-pres I wonder??

I’m really nervous for this exam :/
    Starting to leave out more and more..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

I’m really nervous for this exam :/
    Starting to leave out more and more..

I hear you!! It’s so overwhelming the amount information one is to try and condense... :(

As a stand alone topic it is a safe bet (don't quote me) to not worry about. But, ESSENTIAL to know for a Charity PQ as likely be about 3 gifts with 1 having to be applied Cy Pres.
    Just know Initial vs Supervening impossibility...... with the latter (E.g. Worth Library) requiring no Charitable Intention

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Congratulations everyone, we're FREE!!!! :-)

• Advertisement

No idea what your gender is but genuinely I would have sat aside all sense of sexual orientation regardless and planted a huge kiss on you when I saw Anton Piller coming up.

Now to get messed up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement