Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Just got home to find out I locked in my magic 3.
    Thanks for all the support everyone, as a first timer it was much appreciated.
    Anyone that didn't get the results they were hoping for please keep the faith. We're all going to be fantastic legal practitioners someday!!
    Hope we keep the thread going for March sitting too. Thinking of doing Equity, Constitutional and Contract based on the timetable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Received my final result today - Company - got the magic 50 and a letter at home from the Law Society congratulating me on passing the FE-1!!!!! Thought I would never see that letter arrive. Its been a pleasure working with you lot and I will check in here from time to time, offering advice and help as best I can. Btw, I passed 4 in the first sitting, taking no time off work, and likewise for the final 4 (passing 3 leaving Company to repeat). I work in Cork, so that meant, getting the train up to red cow the night before the exam (after a day's work in a demanding commercial law firm), sitting the exam, travelling back to Cork and working until the next exam. This was done out of necessity and honestly, it was the best strategy. I could not afford to waste time, every second was valuable. This was my method for success and it worked.

For those of you who failed, hard luck, but stay trying - its worth it in the end. For me, I was hungry for results!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Man I have done nada in work today, so pissed off by this. I have a training contract with a top 5 which i fought tooth and nail for and now I need to pass 4 in march including Company, Contract, EU three days in a row or its Slán agus oiche mhaith.

Honestly I just don't know anymore. I have slogged through and got good grades in A-levels, my law degree and my masters -- not to mention getting good experience in commercial firms and in house. I drag myself through a trainee interview process and get within touching distance only to now have it all threatened by a seemingly arbitrary glorified memory test.

Sorry for the rant but just feeling sick of it all now.

I know the feeling. A high 2.1 BCL and high 2.1 LLM (ironically results yesterday) to be brought down to earth today.
    I was resitting Equity and failed AGAIN (46%). Honestly, I'm seething.
    I've 5 to do in March now. (If my appeal fails). EU / Tort/ Constitution/ Contract.

I feel anxious already 16 weeks out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Is everyone’s letter phrased the same? I feel like it says I failed I’m kinda confused.

yournerd wrote: »
    Is everyone’s letter phrased the same? I feel like it says I failed I’m kinda confused.

can you elaborate?

• Advertisement

Chuckler wrote: »
    can you elaborate?

It states ‘although you have not passed the examination outright, you may have secured passes under these rules” maybe I am thinking too much to into it!

yournerd wrote: »
    It states ‘although you have not passed the examination outright, you may have secured passes under these rules” maybe I am thinking too much to into it!

Yes. It simply means that if you passed 3 or more exams previously IN ONE SITTING then they carry forward to the next sitting until you have passed all 8. However, if you have not passed 3 exams IN ONE SITTING then you will have to start from scratch.

The sentence 'although you have not passed the examination outright ....' refers to you passing all 8 examinations.

Chuckler wrote: »
    Yes. It simply means that if you passed 3 or more exams previously IN ONE SITTING then they carry forward to the next sitting until you have passed all 8. However, if you have not passed 3 exams IN ONE SITTING then you will have to start from scratch.

The sentence 'although you have not passed the examination outright ....' refers to you passing all 8 examinations.

I’m so stupid sometimes, thanks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I know the feeling. A high 2.1 BCL and high 2.1 LLM (ironically results yesterday) to be brought down to earth today.
    I was resitting Equity and failed AGAIN (46%). Honestly, I'm seething.
    I've 5 to do in March now. (If my appeal fails). EU / Tort/ Constitution/ Contract.

I feel anxious already 16 weeks out

Yeah like I came from a UK background where there is no midway exam between college and training contract. Now I find myself doing these bloody woeful exams which seem to lack any visible standardisation or rubric. I mean, have I missed something along the way in terms of a mark scheme? I read the examiners reports and the inconsistency (i.e. reasonably detailed for one subject and then 2-3 lines for others) is just shocking for professional entrance exams. It's annoying because, while I know feedback is impossible, I don't know what rubric I can look to identify where I need to improve.

As it stands I am due to start Blackhall in 9 months after years of jumping through hoops just to get a shot at the big firms. Sadly I feel I'm gonna have to sell my soul to this outrageous cash-making scheme and do the bloody classes......

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fe1hunzo

Yeah like I came from a UK background where there is no midway exam between college and training contract. Now I find myself doing these bloody woeful exams which seem to lack any visible standardisation or rubric. I mean, have I missed something along the way in terms of a mark scheme? I read the examiners reports and the inconsistency (i.e. reasonably detailed for one subject and then 2-3 lines for others) is just shocking for professional entrance exams. It's annoying because, while I know feedback is impossible, I don't know what rubric I can look to identify where I need to improve.

As it stands I am due to start Blackhall in 9 months after years of jumping through hoops just to get a shot at the big firms. Sadly I feel I'm gonna have to sell my soul to this outrageous cash-making scheme and do the bloody classes......
    If you understand the law, which I assume you do, then don't spend your money on classes. Buy notes/sample answers/the manuals from the courses.
    I have a couple and they were lifesavers. If you let me know what subjects you still need to do I could send on some material as I have some of it in PDF, the rest is physical copies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Hi All,

I passed my first three and it was my second attempt - Property, EU and Criminal.

Don't give up if you didn't get the magic three. This time around I focused a lot on examiners reports and I think it really was the main difference for me especially for Property and Criminal.

I'm going to do another three in March. Does anyone have any tips on what the best combination would be between Company, Constitutional, Equity, Contract and Tort. Any advice would be appreciated!

Marie92 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I passed my first three and it was my second attempt - Property, EU and Criminal.

Don't give up if you didn't get the magic three. This time around I focused a lot on examiners reports and I think it really was the main difference for me especially for Property and Criminal.

I'm going to do another three in March. Does anyone have any tips on what the best combination would be between Company, Constitutional, Equity, Contract and Tort. Any advice would be appreciated!

Company, Contract and Equity overlap a bit (especially Contract and Equity) which should make studying them easier...

I guess you're new to Constitutional Law for a start so!!
    I've been through the BCL and had a lecturer who marks one of the FE1s. I passed the BCL subject with them (65%) but failed their FE1 version. Go figure that one!?
    Yeah the lack of transparency is a bit disheartening when you've spent years and thousands on education and must abide by whatever rules are thrust upon you unquestioned

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Backfire31

Morning so I suppose after a weekend of drinking my sorrows, it is time to get back on the wagon, I was wondering if anyone had the sample answers for Contract and Company from one of the courses and would be able to forward them on to me? If so let me know...... I will add these two to the three I just did! Also if anyone is going for re-checks? I think i will 44 in criminal seems worth the re check if it sets the golden three!!

Backfire31 wrote: »
    Morning so I suppose after a weekend of drinking my sorrows, it is time to get back on the wagon, I was wondering if anyone had the sample answers for Contract and Company from one of the courses and would be able to forward them on to me? If so let me know...... I will add these two to the three I just did! Also if anyone is going for re-checks? I think i will 44 in criminal seems worth the re check if it sets the golden three!!

IMO forget about the recheck - it's a waste of time and money. Ppl who score in mid 30's should get a recheck as there is a possibility of a missed question. At 44- they've already tried to mark you up to the 50. Go back and revise. Use the Prep school manuals and notes and you won't go wrong. Start immediately & work through the Christmas. The sacrifice this year will be worth it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 clearsky99

Could someone send me exam grids please? Looking specifically for contract, criminal, property and equity !

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tina22

Hi all would really appreciate if anyone had exam grids and sample answers for Eu, company, constitutional and tort.. I have other stuff to swap if needed. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Would anyone have exam grids or sample answers for tort, property, contract or equity? I don't have anything to swap as of yet but will repay In kind when I do!

If anyone is looking for material on EU, Equity, Tort, Company - I am trying to get rid of everything I have. Send a PM.

Saturday will mark 100 days to the Red Cow. Think it's the day I open my first notes .... sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 tiddy_boo

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice about prep courses, are they worth it? Mod deletion. Pls do not discuss the various colleges, lecturers, publications erc
    Thanks!

tiddy_boo wrote: »
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice about prep courses, are they worth it? I'm between the law school and city college (if I do go for one).

Thanks!

Mod; Pld do not discuss the various colleges, courses etc here. Post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MeganC1554

Mod. Pls, no trading. Mod deletion .

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

Mod. Sorry, pls do not trade material nor services thru this forum. Post deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bluntspoon

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice about prep courses, are they worth it? I'm between the law school and city college (if I do go for one).

Thanks!

Mod deletion. Pls do not discuss courses etc here..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 monroe89

bluntspoon wrote: »

Thanks!

Mod deletion

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

I did the prep courses in GCD being an old LLM student and I have passed all of them first go with good marks. I found them absolutely brilliant and very helpful but I went to every class and I am working full time and two kids. Even after the exam I was able to send the paper to get advice to put my mind at ease. I think it all comes down to how much we put in , not the course but maybe that's my way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Backfire31

Anyone with the Contract Law Exam grid? Can swap for Criminal, Equity and Property! Pm me cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Anyone recommend a good prep course for company? PM if we can’t discuss here. Tks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Jimdtug1

Hi, First time posting!

Has anybody on here took all 8 Exams in the one sitting. I sat the exams last year and only passed two so have no exemptions.

The thing is passed two (Tort and Property) without really trying that hard and feel that with application and a good study plan i could attempt all 8.

Am I being ridiculous or is it possible?

Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement