Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

castle123 wrote: »
    Anyone got any tips for EU? A couple of chapters in to it and it seems like a real slog. Pass rate for it is over 70% according to the examiners report so at least thats something

I passed eu with plenty to spare last sitting and left out competition law which is huge topic. /Mod deletion. Pls do not discuss examiners here/, it turned out to be my best mark

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

same here I skipped competition also and got the highest mark out of all exams. I was absolutely terrified of that exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

dublinrose wrote: »
    Looking for some advice please. I have law degree that I did a couple of years ago. I'm thinking of doing 3 Fe1s in March. Closing date to register for the exams is Friday.
    I haven't done any preparation at all so far. Am I mad? Is it doable- 7 weeks for 3 subjects? I could only manage 3 hrs a day but probably both days most weekends.
    Is it possible to do enough to pass 3 exams? Thanks

I think doing only 3 is risky. It depends on your own ability for the subjects.... only you know that. I'd say do 4.... criminal, property, and maybe contract and equity.
    I found the BCL approach is different to these. But, even if you fail you'll have a grounding for October.
    Sure if you're trying to do them asap you've 3 sittings to be 'ready for Blackhall 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law

Any tips on what to leave out for constitutional law?
    I was thinking of leaving out Emergency and War, International Law and the Constitution, Directive Principe's of Socio-Economic Policy. Anything else I could leave out?

I have not looked at the case notes yet either. What ones would you recommend covering and how long of an answer do you have to write for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

Anyone have the breakdown of the October Constitutional exam?
    :0)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

I have not looked at the case notes yet either. What ones would you recommend covering and how long of an answer do you have to write for them?

Any tips on what to leave out for constitutional law? I was thinking of leaving out Emergency and War, International Law and the Constitution, Directive Principe's of Socio-Economic Policy. Anything else I could leave out?

I've just left out emergency and war and international law... Ive gone through the papers for the past couple of years and there isn't really much repetition with the case notes. I think I'm just going to pick a couple of important ones and move on ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mesutozil

Hi everyone,

I'm probably being thick but I just can't get my head round Corporate Borrowings for Company Law.

I'm confused about the relationship between debentures and mortgages on the one hand and fixed charges and floating charges on the other. Can mortgages and debentures be used to create fixed and floating charges or what?

Also, am I correct in saying that a mortgage is a type of fixed charge? If this is true then why does a mortgage create legal title but a fixed charge doesn't?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cojamocork

Hanging for a Criminal grid if anyone has one? I have most of the others to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sheep12

Question 5 of October 2014 sets out a question on Equality under Article 40.1 of the Constitution
    It provides a passage from the M.D(a minor) v Ireland (2012) case and then states 'do you think that the approach of the Supreme Court in MD (a minor) v Ireland as summarised in the extract above is too deferential? Does this provide an adequate level of protection for Constitutional rights? Explain your view.'

I know you must give your personal stance on the judgment but, does anyone have a general approach/structure to take when answering this question?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Tommybojangles

If anyone has a company exam grid or even an overview of what was on the October one I would be hugely appreciative, I think I must have thrown my exam paper out the window of the luas on the way back into town in a rage :(:(:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Plague Maiden

Could anybody tell me what topics came up for Tort in October 2017?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

Could anybody tell me what topics came up for Tort in October 2017?

Thanks.

October 2017 exam

Q1 was a problem about trespass to the person: assault, false imprisonment, emotional suffering. Also an element of trespass to land.

Q2 was an essay about pure economic loss.

Q3 was a problem about employer's liability.

Q4 was an essay about the secondary purpose of damages in tort law.

Q5 was a problem about nervous shock.

Q6 was a problem about Rylands v Fletcher.

Q7 was a problem about causation and remoteness.

Q8 was an essay about Part III of the civil liability act 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jcarroll07

Lawhead767 wrote: »

I passed eu with plenty to spare last sitting and left out competition law which is huge topic. /Mod deletion. Pls do not discuss examiners here/, it turned out to be my best mark

I think EU last time round given it did not have any completion law or it was possible to get away without it made it a significantly easier exam the previous ones. Just what i thought from doing PP and then doing the real thing. It was IMO a dream paper if you were some what underprepared, dont see it being like that next time and looking back even though I got it I should have been and was foolish to to have been more prepared.

Constitutional Law:

Is the chapter on the Nation, the People and the State and Sovereignty important or could you skip this chapter?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

Is the chapter on the Nation, the People and the State and Sovereignty important or could you skip this chapter?

Crotty and Pringle cases have come up a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marie92

Only starting to study now and in a panic.

Can anyone let me know the essential topics to cover for tort please?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,726 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Cover everything.

Don't spend ages worrying about the abstract concepts like causation and foreseeability etc. Just have the basics and a couple of cases. The examiner in tort mixes topics and if you don't cover everything, you will miss issues in questions and be unable to pass that question.

The FE1s are about testing broad knowledge in preparation for life as a solicitor where you can't stand over having missed an aspect of your client's case on the basis that you didn't have time to study that chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Backfire31

Anyone get confirmation from the Law Society of their application for the March sitting yet?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Backfire31 wrote: »
    Anyone get confirmation from the Law Society of their application for the March sitting yet?

Nope. Not yet! Getting a little anxious about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

Nope. Not yet! Getting a little anxious about it!

I have but i had it sent in just after xmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Smurf777

Hi all.

Boards had been very beneficial for fe1 advice so decided to add to the discussion.

I've been out of the legal world for nearly 3 years. I took some time out to do something very different after my degree.

Back to it now, working full time in a law firm and studying for these exams.

Lots of my friends have been through it but I feel people in the thick of it will provide better support. I'm concentrating getting over the hurdle of this first sitting and passing three at the minute.

I've signed up for:

Criminal

Company

Property

I believe a broad knowledge of Criminal is needed. What can I whittle down at this point in Company and Property? I've started into company today and remembered how much I disliked it in college!!

Any general tips and advice would be much appreciated. To anyone out there in the same boat as myself best of luck.

P.s still waiting on confirmation from the Law Soc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fonzie123

The letters of confirmation usually come in the post a week before exams

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

I'm looking for exam grids for CONTRACT or CRIMINAL if anyone has them!

I can swap constitutional, tort, property, or EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 N2547

I'm looking for exam grids for CONTRACT or CRIMINAL if anyone has them!

I can swap constitutional, tort, property, or EU.

Hey would you mind sending me on your constitutional grid? Thanking you. I've neither for contract or criminal

Constitutional Law:

Is there is a list of case notes that they can ask? Or does anybody have any recommendations on what ones to learn? I don't have a clue which ones they could ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has the examiners report for EU and/or Equity for October 2017?
    I would swap, but I have no updated things from last sitting.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hi,
    Wondering if anyone has the examiners report for EU and/or Equity for October 2017?
    I would swap, but I have no updated things from last sitting.

Thanks!

I'd also like the EU examiner's report if anyone happens to have it please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'd also like the EU examiner's report if anyone happens to have it please!

Me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Me also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

If anyone is looking for 2017 october papers and reports, its 12euro. If we had 6 people thats 2euro each?

Please send me a PM if youre interested.

MOD
    Pls, apart from exchanging exam grids do not trade via this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement