Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭jus_me

Any idea when in Oct the Oct sittings will be?

Is it always the first two weeks or does it change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Guys I am studying Constitutional along with 3 other subjects and I just cant get constitutional law at all. The exam papers are making me freak out every time, does anyone who passed this exam have any tips/advice/notes/help whatsoever? I can provide advice on Tort, Company, Equity and EU in return!! #sos

jus_me wrote: »
    Any idea when in Oct the Oct sittings will be?

Is it always the first two weeks or does it change

It depends when the Red Cow is free aswell!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

In relation to the O'Brien case for privilege, the courts will not get involved when it is the internal workings of the Dail.

However, how is it the internal workings of the Dail when it relates to somebody who is not in the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Does anyone have an up to date answer on family law quaestion for Constitutional? I am currently looking at Q6, October 2013 re homosexual couple. How do I go about answering it following same sex marriages ref. ? - do I still talk about equality (Art 40.1, Purcell case, O'G v AG, W v W, etc) and do I mention ECHR? Just not sure how to answer the family law question since the amendment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kirakirakira1

Anyone selling Sale of Goods and Supply of Services or know the best place to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Anyone selling Sale of Goods and Supply of Services or know the best place to buy?

The Office of Public Works

https://www.opw.ie/en/contactus/
    E-mail: info@opw.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Can anyone send a Constitutional Exam Grid

or just what came up on the last sitting??

or just the last exam??

THANKS xx

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BoomCha

Leraf wrote: »

The Office of Public Works

https://www.opw.ie/en/contactus/
    E-mail: info@opw.ie
    How does it work in practice? Do you email them and pay online and they then send the acts to you? Currently not living in Ireland and a bit worried about this..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miamiz93

Anybody any ideas as to what can be left out for constitutional? After making up all the flashcards and it is just enormous so I'm wondering what can be abandoned.

Also, for company law, what is people's approach to learning the CA sections? I know obviously we have the act with us in the exam, but you still need to know roughly what you're looking for and certain sections are related but could be at completely different places in the act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Would anyone please be able to tell me what came up in the October sitting for Tort? My grid only goes up to March 17!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Lumi77

I would mainly concentrate on the separation of powers and unenumerated rights, and the main rights, religion doesn't normally come up pick a few of them. case notes and between the president and the AG keep an eye on grid you ll see a pattern there
    you can add to this a few topics you like
    dont stress about this one most people pass it.

regards company i only learnt the main section and associated with the topic and all the other ones you can find in the act
    ie 228 directors duties, sec 96 transmission of shares and so on, you can tab the act with different color tabs.

hope that helps

miamiz93 wrote: »
    Anybody any ideas as to what can be left out for constitutional? After making up all the flashcards and it is just enormous so I'm wondering what can be abandoned.

Also, for company law, what is people's approach to learning the CA sections? I know obviously we have the act with us in the exam, but you still need to know roughly what you're looking for and certain sections are related but could be at completely different places in the act.

I would tab the company law act in colour to topics so like SHAreholder remedise is 212, directors duties is all of 228 including any accounting legislative provisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Would anyone please be able to tell me what came up in the October sitting for Tort? My grid only goes up to March 17!

Q1 was on trespass to the person, assault, false imprisonment, intentional infliction of emotional suffering

Q2 was an essay on pure economic loss

Q3 was vicarious liability

Q4 was an essay on the secondary purpose of damages in tort law

Q5 was nervous shock

Q6 was Rylands v fletcher

Q7: causation and remoteness

Q8: concurrent wrongdoers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Guys, any EQUITY PREDICTIONS??

I'd say Mareva and PE are definite.

Going to do these ones as well:
    - Quia Timet
    - 3 Certainties
    - Charitable Trusts

I know Specific Performance and Secret trusts really well but don't think they'll come up :( I'm not fond of the Trusts part of the syllabus at all. What do people think are the fastest/easiest to grasp and study? Or does anyone have predictions with regards the trusts part? TIA :)

Constitutional Law:

Anybody know how case notes work? Is there a list of case notes that can be asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Teamhrach wrote: »

- Quia Timet
    - 3 Certainties
    - Charitable Trusts

I know Specific Performance and Secret trusts really well but don't think they'll come up :( I'm not fond of the Trusts part of the syllabus at all. What do people think are the fastest/easiest to grasp and study? Or does anyone have predictions with regards the trusts part? TIA :)

Trusteeship - comes up very regularly and didn't appear in October.
    Presumption of Advancement - Again, didn't come up in October and rarely takes a break of more than one paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

- Quia Timet
    - 3 Certainties
    - Charitable Trusts

Three certainties came up last sitting though (question 3) - I'm going to concentrate on DMC and Strong v Bird as they tend to come up in March sittings (probably just jinx myself there - haha).

Anyone have october 2016 reports? can swap for october 2017!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

- Quia Timet
    - 3 Certainties
    - Charitable Trusts

Totally agree on Mareva and PE - would also bet Constructive Trusts (new model/degree of knowledge), Undue Influence (third parties) and Trustees (duty to invest) are strong contenders as she's fond of them!

• Advertisement

For EU, would it be a stupid idea to not study competition law in depth? It seems to only come up as a half a question and its so complicated and long.

For EU, would it be a stupid idea to not study competition law in depth? It seems to only come up as a half a question and its so complicated and long.

I left out all of competition law in my studies the last sitting!

Didn't even cover the rest in that much detail and passed with much in excess!

For Constitutional -

I am going to focus on
    Finding Unconstitutionality
    SOP
    President/AG
    Due Course of Law 38.1
    Personal Rights
    Property Rights

Anyone any advice/hints?

- Quia Timet
    - 3 Certainties
    - Charitable Trusts

Equity is pretty easy to predict.
    Trusteeship is a must then choose another 6 topics and youre good!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

Is it me or does anyone else find criminal law tricky and sometimes tedious? I love a good detective/courtroom drama but this stuff is boring the life out of me... Does every single area need to be covered, is there any topics that i can bank on? This is one of my last exams, my motivation is dwindling somewhat at this point in time.

ally1234 wrote: »
    Is it me or does anyone else find criminal law tricky and sometimes tedious? I love a good detective/courtroom drama but this stuff is boring the life out of me... Does every single area need to be covered, is there any topics that i can bank on? This is one of my last exams, my motivation is dwindling somewhat at this point in time.

I definitely found it the most illogical of all of the subjects because it’s so policy driven that a lot of the rationale behind it makes no sense from a theory perspective (which is what we’re supposed to be studying) so it wasn’t very intuitive. If nothing else, I found criminal seems to be marked a lot easier than the other exams as I had to sit criminal twice (passed two failed one the first time :( ) and both times my mark was about ten per cent higher than it was for anything else despite having put the same amount of work in.

My main advice for criminal is know your defenses well and go through the past papers as they ask the same problem questions over and over. If a particular point is really confusing, check if it actually comes up frequently before spending hours at it

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ally1234

I definitely found it the most illogical of all of the subjects because it’s so policy driven that a lot of the rationale behind it makes no sense from a theory perspective (which is what we’re supposed to be studying) so it wasn’t very intuitive. If nothing else, I found criminal seems to be marked a lot easier than the other exams as I had to sit criminal twice (passed two failed one the first time :( ) and both times my mark was about ten per cent higher than it was for anything else despite having put the same amount of work in.

My main advice for criminal is know your defenses well and go through the past papers as they ask the same problem questions over and over. If a particular point is really confusing, check if it actually comes up frequently before spending hours at it

Thanks so much for your insight, every bit helps :) if you're sitting some exams, good luck in your endeavors also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Anyone have any predictions for tort?

Constitutional Law:

Is the findings pursuant to DPP v JC that if there is a mistake the evidence is admissible unless there is a deliberate mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

Is the findings pursuant to DPP v JC that if there is a mistake the evidence is admissible unless there is a deliberate mistake?

DPP v JC - knowing, reckless, or grossly negligent breaches of constitutional rights will lead to an exclusion.

• Advertisement

Frances94 wrote: »
    DPP v JC - knowing, reckless, or grossly negligent breaches of constitutional rights will lead to an exclusion.

Great so an innocent mistake is fine?

I am just wondering then in relation to drink driving offences. Why do a lot of people get off due to a small mistake that the Gardai may have made?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement