Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

ally1234 wrote: »
    Just a quick criminal Q: do the topics actus/mens rea come up as stand alone topic. I have no manual or exam papers to refer to on this subject. Thanks.

Mens rea has but it's not very common - came up in Oct 2016 and was an essay question on recklessness, and in Oct 2012 as a problem question to advise X outlining the law on recklessness. If actus reus has come up as a stand alone question, it was a very long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sls16

Many thanks but what is the human personality that it is relating to?

Well the main reason given was that the Constitution required equal treatment of each side in a referendum, but they also mentioned a breach re freedom of expression and the right to a democratic process in a referendum!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Does anybody have a case note on Heaney v Ireland and Tuohy v Courtney?

I can give you case notes that I have in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 123456 jo

What topics are people doing for eu law ?

Any tips on cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

What topics are people doing for Equity or Mod deletiondoes If someone could forward on a grid or Mod deletion, I am happy to swap with you for Company or EU Law!

Cheers guys!

NB

Only exam grids may be swapped thru this forum

mod
    tion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 RyanMcG123

Anyone got their letter yet with all the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LucBetton

RyanMcG123 wrote: »
    Anyone got their letter yet with all the info?

No, have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Think they're only being sent out this week, I had to call them to tell them I had changed address and if I remember correctly, that's what the woman told me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

LucBetton wrote: »
    No, have you?

I received my Letter with all exam info this morning :/
    **** just got real!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pamela0506

Hi, Does anybody have up to date exam grids for contract/criminal/tort? I can swap exam papers/notes. Thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

Having to restrict my notes/learning for constitutional and have decided on the following - I appreciate the questions are very much inter-related but have I someway hit the nail on the head here?

President/AG
    Property Rights
    Equality
    SOP
    Judicial Review
    Family/Education
    Abortion/Right to Life
    Freedom of Expression
    Case notes (Lottery)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

Having to restrict my notes/learning for constitutional and have decided on the following - I appreciate the questions are very much inter-related but have I someway hit the nail on the head here?

President/AG Property Rights Equality SOP Judicial Review Family/Education Abortion/Right to Life Freedom of Expression Case notes (Lottery)

Unenumerated rights, privilege, referendums, access to a lawyer are all topical too.

What are people covering for criminal and contract? So far I have been covering everything but its not worthwhile since I wont be able to remember anything by next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Blazedup

yournerd wrote: »
    What are people covering for criminal and contract? So far I have been covering everything but its not worthwhile since I wont be able to remember anything by next week!

NAP -- mistake common and unilateral
    damages and limitations - duty to mitigate / remoteness / penalty clause acceleration clauses
    Exclusion clauses
    promissory estoppel and consideration
    offer acceptance termination intent to create legal relations
    consumer law - sale of goods and supply of services
    capacity and privity
    Misrep and terms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Frances94 wrote: »
    Unenumerated rights, privilege, referendums, access to a lawyer are all topical too.

I’m definitely studying referendum law. It’s a very easy topic that can be learned quite quickly ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

Looking for a criminal grid, can swap for any other one! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 S.CurKing

Hi there, I'm wonddering whether I need an more up to date version of Blackstone's Treaties for EU Law, I'm currently using the 2014-2015 version, and now wondering is it very out of date?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

S.CurKing wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm wonddering whether I need an more up to date version of Blackstone's Treaties for EU Law, I'm currently using the 2014-2015 version, and now wondering is it very out of date?
    Any post Lisbon version is fine for the exams.

The Treaties aren't changing and the main piece of secondary legislation you're looking at this the Citizenship Directive of 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Wondering if anyone has a list of predictions of topics for equity or EU ? Particularly EU !

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

For the Quinn Supermarket v AG case, did the court hold that it was constitutional that the Kosher shop could open on a Sunday in order to allow for the free practice of religion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

So it has taken me three days to get through 3 constitutional topics (separation of powers, due course of law, property rights) and I obviously need to speed up because I need to cover the rest of the course.

Any tips on what to leave out? Even in terms of personal rights, do I need to know them all or are there some which are more relevant than others?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've passed 6 exams so far and I am finding constitutional to be so overwhelming compared to the other subjects.

So it has taken me three days to get through 3 constitutional topics (separation of powers, due course of law, property rights) and I obviously need to speed up because I need to cover the rest of the course.

Any tips on what to leave out? Even in terms of personal rights, do I need to know them all or are there some which are more relevant than others?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've passed 6 exams so far and I am finding constitutional to be so overwhelming compared to the other subjects.

Same here!
    I am finding Constitutional so horrific to even study, keep leaving it last every single day.
    Anyone who has passed Constitutional Law can you please advise on how to best study this subject? Any advice on prioritizing topics also, really appreciate it. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

EU LAW
    Am I right in thinking that since the "new" examiner took over, he has never examined freedom to provide services/freedom of establishment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

My manuals are all for 2016. Is this a big deal? There can't have been too much change in the law since then...

Except for my tort one there is no info about the year or even who made it...so I'm worrying...

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Why couldn't this Beast from the East have come 2 weeks later, to give us tortured FE1 souls a few extra days of study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Yep! the last 5 papers I think are new examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miamiz93

yournerd wrote: »
    Same here!
    I am finding Constitutional so horrific to even study, keep leaving it last every single day.
    Anyone who has passed Constitutional Law can you please advise on how to best study this subject? Any advice on prioritizing topics also, really appreciate it. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Just stick to doing past papers and compare them to the exam reports! I was panic stricken about constitutional law because it seemed enormous, then started actually just doing the papers and its really not that bad. Its the same major principles over and over. The examiner doesn't seem to be out to catch people out with really minor points of law.

Also - make sure to study President, Attorney General and Referendums. They're small and reasonably likely to come up so could be very handy for you in the exam. Also, the nice thing about constitutional is that its actually the same case fifty times over. Nicolau for example - you can use it for equality, for the family, for unenumerated rights and probably some others I'm forgetting. I've been told by my lecturer to leave out trial in due course of law because its just too big in comparison to how often it comes up, so sadly it has been abandoned.

Also - be brutal with your case law at this stage of the game. I often have case names that just refuse to go into my brain. Sometimes, even if its a reasonably important point, I just abandon it because in the 20 minutes I've spent trying to memorise it I could have learnt ten other cases.

Also when you are in the exam, even if you don't remember a case name, write down anything you can remember because you will get marks for it. Think of it like titles of Friends episodes 'the one where x,y,z happened' and the examiner will know what you're on about.

Worst comes to worst, the constitutional pass rate is actually grand so statistically you're more likely to pass than not pass

miamiz93 wrote: »
    Just stick to doing past papers and compare them to the exam reports! I was panic stricken about constitutional law because it seemed enormous, then started actually just doing the papers and its really not that bad. Its the same major principles over and over. The examiner doesn't seem to be out to catch people out with really minor points of law.

Also - make sure to study President, Attorney General and Referendums. They're small and reasonably likely to come up so could be very handy for you in the exam. Also, the nice thing about constitutional is that its actually the same case fifty times over. Nicolau for example - you can use it for equality, for the family, for unenumerated rights and probably some others I'm forgetting. I've been told by my lecturer to leave out trial in due course of law because its just too big in comparison to how often it comes up, so sadly it has been abandoned.

Also - be brutal with your case law at this stage of the game. I often have case names that just refuse to go into my brain. Sometimes, even if its a reasonably important point, I just abandon it because in the 20 minutes I've spent trying to memorise it I could have learnt ten other cases.

Also when you are in the exam, even if you don't remember a case name, write down anything you can remember because you will get marks for it. Think of it like titles of Friends episodes 'the one where x,y,z happened' and the examiner will know what you're on about.

Worst comes to worst, the constitutional pass rate is actually grand so statistically you're more likely to pass than not pass

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miamiz93

My manuals are all for 2016. Is this a big deal? There can't have been too much change in the law since then...

Except for my tort one there is no info about the year or even who made it...so I'm worrying...

2016 is grand!! Thats fairly new in the scheme of things. Generally anything post 2014 in terms of caselaw is considered 'new case law' if you are trying to add in those little bonus marks

On the offchance you are studying criminal - the only thing to be careful of is the new sexual offences act which is not in the 2016 manual and amends quite a lot of stuff. I think a few people might have caught out by that in October

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

miamiz93 wrote: »

Great advice, thanks! Have had to run through constitutional and my brain is so fried I can't even locate referendum law in it - under what section will I find it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement