Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 castle123

EU LAW

Could someone who has passed a recent EU paper (with new examiner) please give some insights into how they found studying for it and narrowing down topics? There is so much to cover it's ridiculous. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Hi can someone please please tell me what came up in contract at the last sitting? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

In the case of Irish Times v Ireland it states that the courts have inherent jurisdiction whether to have a case in camera or not.

However, the case of Doe seems to think differently. I am just wondering does anyone know where we stand in Ireland in relation to the administration of justice in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

castle123 wrote: »
    EU LAW

Could someone who has passed a recent EU paper (with new examiner) please give some insights into how they found studying for it and narrowing down topics? There is so much to cover it's ridiculous. Thanks

I passed in the most recent sitting and left out all of competition law and the freedoms barr FMOG. The questions tend to ask the same question and answer over again so just learn off the basic case law and points to write down for each question. Focus on JR and Direct Effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Can anyone please tell me what topics came up in Contract October 2017 sitting ? Just updating my grid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 123456 jo

Eu Law

Does anyone have a list of cases to Learn for the EU law case question.

Happy to share summaries of cases if anyone has the list predicted.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

Could someone give me a quick summary of what changes the new sexual offences act has made to the law? Or point me in the direction of where I could find a quick summary? My manual is too old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

Gomzu wrote: »
    Could someone give me a quick summary of what changes the new sexual offences act has made to the law? Or point me in the direction of where I could find a quick summary? My manual is too old!

The major change is with the issue of consent - it lays down what constitutes consent and provides a non-exhaustive list of what does not constitute consent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Send me your email by PM!

I also have EU Cases notes for the above poster - send me your email also!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LegallyBlonde2

Any suggestion on what to study for equity or are you better off studying the majority of the course? it seems pretty unpredictable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Gomzu

Are we meant to bring the first letter or the second letter to the exam?? My dog ate the first letter (yes, the dog did eat my homework) and now I only have the letter dated the 23rd. Will that be ok??

Allegations have been made that the Minister for Fishing has made a number of decisions to spend
    money on a marine project in Co. Carlow that may result in substantial financial benefits for her
    brother, who is a landowner in the area. The decision is announced after a meeting of the Cabinet
    on January 5th, 2015.

The controversy increases when a spokesperson for her Department is unable to explain why
    Carlow was chosen for the projects when it does not have direct access to the sea.
    The Oireachtas establishes a Committee of Inquiry to examine the decision. The Committee orders
    the Minister and her Department to provide it with "all documents relating to the decision to
    construct a marine project inCo Carlow".

The Minister refuses to provide the following documents on the grounds that this would contravene
    Article 28. 4. 3:

(iv) A document setting out the Department's decision, and the reason for it, which was
    prepared for a meeting of the Cabinet on January 5th, 2015.

(v)Various drafts of the document prepared for a meeting of the Cabinet on January 5th, 2015, some of
    which contain material which was removed from the final draft.

(vi) Internal Department e-mails prior to the decision being made which expressed different
    views about where the project should be constructed.

(vii) A document giving further background to the decision which was prepared for a meeting
    between the Minister and the Taoiseach on January 18th, 2015 to consider the public controversy.
    The Committee wants to confirm that Article 28.3.4 applies to this material and seeks your opinion.

Advise them.

Anybody able to help me with this question? Very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Lawhead767

Hi Does anyone have an updated grid for tort law?
    It would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Supermax1988

Are we meant to bring the first letter or the second letter to the exam?? My dog ate the first letter (yes, the dog did eat my homework) and now I only have the letter dated the 23rd. Will that be ok??

Think the second letter is the only one you need. You only need the one with your Candidate Number on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Allegations have been made that the Minister for Fishing has made a number of decisions to spend
    money on a marine project in Co. Carlow that may result in substantial financial benefits for her
    brother, who is a landowner in the area. The decision is announced after a meeting of the Cabinet
    on January 5th, 2015.

The controversy increases when a spokesperson for her Department is unable to explain why
    Carlow was chosen for the projects when it does not have direct access to the sea.
    The Oireachtas establishes a Committee of Inquiry to examine the decision. The Committee orders
    the Minister and her Department to provide it with "all documents relating to the decision to
    construct a marine project inCo Carlow".

The Minister refuses to provide the following documents on the grounds that this would contravene
    Article 28. 4. 3:

(iv) A document setting out the Department's decision, and the reason for it, which was
    prepared for a meeting of the Cabinet on January 5th, 2015.

(v)Various drafts of the document prepared for a meeting of the Cabinet on January 5th, 2015, some of
    which contain material which was removed from the final draft.

(vi) Internal Department e-mails prior to the decision being made which expressed different
    views about where the project should be constructed.

(vii) A document giving further background to the decision which was prepared for a meeting
    between the Minister and the Taoiseach on January 18th, 2015 to consider the public controversy.
    The Committee wants to confirm that Article 28.3.4 applies to this material and seeks your opinion.

Advise them.

Anybody able to help me with this question? Very confused.

It’s to do with parliamentary privilege / cabinet confidentiality and set out in the manuals under the “Oireachtas”

I looked briefly over my notes on this a few days ago - easy to understand but must do out a grid or something to help distinguish the cases

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'd really appreciate if someone could send me an EU grid. I have EU Case notes and the last sittings papers for all subjects to swap.

Constitutional Law:

Does Sinott v Minister for Education relate to distributive justice?

Therefore, the issue is non-justiciable?

Constitutional Law:

Does Sinott v Minister for Education relate to distributive justice?

Therefore, the issue is non-justiciable?

In fact i think i might be wrong here. Was the issue non-justiciable but it was seen as an extreme case so the court intervened?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

In fact i think i might be wrong here. Was the issue non-justiciable but it was seen as an extreme case so the court intervened?

I thought the SC did not intervene? They clarified that free primary education to children extended to children up to 18 years of age but didn't grant Sinnott free primary education for life? Instead, it was them trying to move away from 'judicial activism' as they were reluctant to declare further socio-economic rights.

Haven't studied Constitutional in a long time so my memory may not be accurate...

demarche wrote: »
    I thought the SC did not intervene? They clarified that free primary education to children extended to children up to 18 years of age but didn't grant Sinnott free primary education for life? Instead, it was them trying to move away from 'judicial activism' as they were reluctant to declare further socio-economic rights.

Haven't studied Constitutional in a long time so my memory may not be accurate...

But the fact that they gave a ruiling on it does that not mean they intervened? If it was non-justiciable they would refuse to rule one way or the other and leave it up to the Oireacthas to decide?

For example in the Embryo case they refused to clarify what the unborn was as it was not for the courts to decide?

I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

I reckon the following should see me home for Tort, anything glaring missing?

Passing off
    Limitations
    Trespass on Land
    Occupier's Liability
    Nuisance
    Vicarious Liability
    Causation/Remoteness
    Duty/Standard of Care
    Trespass to Person

I'm aware defamation should be in there, time just wouldn't allow it

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tony_TwoLegs

All you need is ID. That's all they check. They walk about room during.... take it off your desk.... sign the sheet. Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miamiz93

for annone who has done EU and company, im worried that I won't be able to remember where anything is in the acts. I have stuff highlighted and tabbed but there are just so many. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Mesutozil

Contract Law:

Exemption Clauses and Consumer Contracts seem huge, too huge, would anybody have any advice on what to focus on? Anything I should cut out?

Would really appreciate any advice.

I reckon the following should see me home for Tort, anything glaring missing?

Passing off
    Limitations
    Trespass on Land
    Occupier's Liability
    Nuisance
    Vicarious Liability
    Causation/Remoteness
    Duty/Standard of Care
    Trespass to Person

I'm aware defamation should be in there, time just wouldn't allow it

Perhaps Product Liability? Quick and easy enough topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

yournerd wrote: »
    Send me your email by PM!

I also have EU Cases notes for the above poster - send me your email also!

Could i get this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Fergalr2092

What are people covering for Company Law this time around? This is my first time sitting and I am doing four and not sure what to expect but so far Company has been the one thats been kicking my ass.

Constitutional Law:

For questions like the one below where they give you a quote, are they basically case note questions?

“The decision in Cahill v Sutton undermines the court’s ability to meet its obligation to defend
    and uphold the Constitution by making it less likely that the unconstitutional treatment of
    vulnerable groups – such as the poor, the young or the ill-informed – will come to the attention
    of the judiciary.”

Do you agree? Do the Irish courts have any means of taking account of the position or interests
    of such groups in constitutional litigation? Discuss with reference to the caselaw of the Irish
    courts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 coolusername95

Does anyone have a rough guide to what casenotes to learn for constitution? There seems to be a lot! Thanks

• Advertisement

Contract law:

What's the difference between the tests court use for identifying whether implied terms exist (custom and practice test, officious bystander test or business efficacy test) in a contract and the rules regarding construction (i.e. the plain meaning rule or the factual matrix rule)?
    ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement