Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Mesutozil wrote: »
    Contract law:

What's the difference between the tests court use for identifying whether implied terms exist (custom and practice test, officious bystander test or business efficacy test) in a contract and the rules regarding construction (i.e. the plain meaning rule or the factual matrix rule)?
    ?

For Rules its contra proferentum no?

Mesutozil wrote: »
    Contract Law:

Exemption Clauses and Consumer Contracts seem huge, too huge, would anybody have any advice on what to focus on? Anything I should cut out?

Would really appreciate any advice.

Most of consumer law is in the sales of goods act which you can bring in so its just knowing a few cases to cover it I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Does anyone have a rough guide to what casenotes to learn for constitution? There seems to be a lot! Thanks

Yeah, don't! :pac: You'll get bogged down in it and it mightn't pay off because it's so unpredictable.

If you have time to get the Supreme Court book, I found it much easier to remember the facts of the significant cases rather than reading over them a heap of times in my notes or manual:

Key cases I can think of from the book
    - Norris
    - McGee
    - Nicolau
    - Ryan
    - East Donegal
    - Sinn Féin funds case - Buckley
    - CC v Ireland
    - A v Arbour Hill
    - Kathleen O'Byrne
    - X case
    - McKenna, Coughlan on referendum law
    - Crotty v An Taoieach
    - Sinnott
    - TD
    - Quinn
    .....that's only a fraction!

More recent cases:
    - NVH v Min for Justice
    - DPP v Barry Doyle
    - DPP v Michael Sweeney could be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Anyone has a few sample answers for Contract? I have March 2011 & 2010, can exchange for some other years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Teamhrach

Teamhrach wrote: »
    Yeah, don't! :pac: You'll get bogged down in it and it mightn't pay off because it's so unpredictable.

If you have time to get the Supreme Court book, I found it much easier to remember the facts of the significant cases rather than reading over them a heap of times in my notes or manual:

Key cases I can think of from the book
    - Norris
    - McGee
    - Nicolau
    - Ryan
    - East Donegal
    - Sinn Féin funds case - Buckley
    - CC v Ireland
    - A v Arbour Hill
    - Kathleen O'Byrne
    - X case
    - McKenna, Coughlan on referendum law
    - Crotty v An Taoieach
    - Sinnott
    - TD
    - Quinn
    .....that's only a fraction!

More recent cases:
    - NVH v Min for Justice
    - DPP v Barry Doyle
    - DPP v Michael Sweeney could be important.

The SOP / Art 15 cases are important too - I think one of them usually comes up in the case notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Company Law:

Anybody have a sample answer for the question on the SAP that came up last year?

I have sample answers/ notes to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jazzypatty89

Does anyone happen to know if it's necessary to list the punishments (e.g. 6 months for s.2 assault) for offences in the Criminal exam? I know we obviously need to know the legislation, cases, etc. but the capacity of my brain is almost to max. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ninetythree

Hey guys,
    Does anyone have any tips/predictions for Constitutional? Really feel its not coming together at all for me, trying to ward off any panic but not feeling very assured about my prospects either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Hey does anyone know what topics came up in Constitutional last year? Please and Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CAS9219

First time sitting the exams, doing Criminal, Company, EU and Property? Would anybody be able to send me any grids for them? Ive nothing to swap though.

• Advertisement

BASHBAG wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know what topics came up in Constitutional last year? Please and Thanks!!!

Roughly think there were essay questions on McGowan & Bederev, 38.1, historical interpretation & Ireland & EU. Case notes on Nicolau, East Donegal, Collins and O'Byrne. Then problems on property, FOE and right of access to courts & Non Delegation Doctrine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Is it too risky to only study State Aids and not the rest of Competition Law for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭HappySlappy123

What are people covering for Company Law this time around? This is my first time sitting and I am doing four and not sure what to expect but so far Company has been the one thats been kicking my ass.

Usually a Q on SLP, a standard Q since 2014 is about reforms that have been made, disposition of corporate assets, liquidation, protection of minority shareholders, directors (duties etc), transfer of shares, corporate borrowings

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bigdreamer123

Does anyone happen to know if it's necessary to list the punishments (e.g. 6 months for s.2 assault) for offences in the Criminal exam? I know we obviously need to know the legislation, cases, etc. but the capacity of my brain is almost to max. Thanks :)
    I did criminal last sitting. TBH I didn't learn a single one. Think it's Overend scholarship territory if you're learning that much detail.

I found was best for criminal to know the acts, offences with section numbers and supporting case law on main points. It's thought enough learning those, I felt punishments on top just confused the whole issue !

• Registered Users Posts: 16 decco201

EU Law - due to family emergency I've not been able to study the last month, I had planned to have my notes finished around then too. Has anyone passed with so little time to go. I'm working this wk but off the 3 days next wk before exam and I have the weekend...my other subject is Tort the following wk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

decco201 wrote: »
    EU Law - due to family emergency I've not been able to study the last month, I had planned to have my notes finished around then too. Has anyone passed with so little time to go. I'm working this wk but off the 3 days next wk before exam and I have the weekend...my other subject is Tort the following wk

You will have to go full pelt on the days you have but it is achievable. I had a friend last year who was still making notes the day before the exam and almost did a no-show ... he chanced it and passed. Constitutional is also seen as a voluminous one, I had an emergency myself last year and started it a few days before the exam. My paper was an absolute dog's dinner but I got a 50.

So you have every chance. You just have to be super efficient with your days off but it's very achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Nikcan18

Anyone have an upto date criminal law grid?
    Also any tips for EU law?

Passed 4 already so have extensive notes/sample answers for company constitutional property and tort :)

Does anyone have good succinct notes for Company -- the ones I have are just way way too dense. I have Zip folders with notes for the other subjects. The ones I have for Tort i found particularly useful -- really breaks the density of the manual down (I passed Tort last March).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

I am unsure of the outcome of Gormely v DPP.

Is it the law now that if a statement is made before the accused has access to a solicitor, whether bona fide attempts are made or not, the evidence is inadmissible?

There no longer has to be a link between a colourable maneuver and the statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭BASHBAG

Roughly think there were essay questions on McGowan & Bederev, 38.1, historical interpretation & Ireland & EU. Case notes on Nicolau, East Donegal, Collins and O'Byrne. Then problems on property, FOE and right of access to courts & Non Delegation Doctrine.

Thanks for the reply, I'm just after realising that I said "last year" as opposed to "last sitting". I presume you were referring to last sitting?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I'm just after realising that I said "last year" as opposed to "last sitting". I presume you were referring to last sitting?

Does anyone have a good constitutional grid? Just realised the one I was using was wrong!

Yeah, October 2017! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Chuckler

Having passed the FE-1's while working full time (taking two weeks of the exams off), here is my advice to you all....GET OFF BOARDS! You need to disconnect completely now. Gather what you have, and keep learning it off by heart. The comprehension should be over by now. Get out your notes and read, read and read again. Each evening, go over the past exam questions - it will help you recollect what you read in your notes. Its time now to get into Psycho mode...Up the ante and stay focused. Lock yourself in to your room and watch the days merge into night and back into day again. Keep READING, READING, READING AND READING your notes. This is key for these exams.

What are people cutting for EU ? My notes on this are massive -- the joys of starting to write these a few weeks back when it all seemed so far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cjaybcjayb

Would anyone happen to have a sample answer for Q1 on March 17 Tort exam? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 miamiz93

What are people cutting for EU ? My notes on this are massive -- the joys of starting to write these a few weeks back when it all seemed so far away.

All of competition law except for state aids and a few case notes. It’s just too big and complicated for the sake of one question. I’m going to see if I’ve time to cover Brussels and international law but if not i won’t be doing them either.

decco201 wrote: »

Ring the law society and ask to talk to whoever is in charge of appeals. If you get a letter in from your doctor to explain you have had this family emergency, they will take that into consideration. But ring asap to find out the deadline!! I think it feasibly is doable, just do a tonne of practice questions

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TomRed3

Does anyone have criminal exam papers/sample answers/grid they would be willing to swap for the same things which I have for company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

miamiz93 wrote: »
    Ring the law society and ask to talk to whoever is in charge of appeals. If you get a letter in from your doctor to explain you have had this family emergency, they will take that into consideration. But ring asap to find out the deadline!! I think it feasibly is doable, just do a tonne of practice questions

Not so sure that will work, in college it might but with law society. let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement

annmc882 wrote: »
    Not so sure that will work, in college it might but with law society. let us know how you get on.

They have a limited appeals system for these sorts of things, doesn't get you anything near what you might get in college, but no harm to try.

I am looking at the march 2016 paper, question six and its asking about the Netherlands only offering free public healthcare to non nationals if they are in full time employment. I know there is the prior authorisation case law, but is there anything more specific in regards this kind of discrimination?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement