Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SM1803

anyone have any advice on what to leave out for constitution?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mayo91

Howya, any chance you could give me a quick list from the exam table on what came up on last exam for CONSTITUTIONAL?

Does anybody have Constitutional table for last sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pk23

For constitutional I'm focusing on

equality
    freedom of speech
    family and education
    personal rights
    judicial review
    separation of powers
    property rights
    abortion
    the president/AG

Apart from those not really sure what other topics to cover, or how many more I really need to do - any advice on what people are focusing on/leaving out would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Smurf777

Tips for Criminal appreciated in regards to the new act.

These are the changes I've identified:

1. The statutory footing of consent- codifying case law
    2. Proximity of age defence
    3. Protected person defined- extra protection offered to the protected person.
    4. Incest redefined

There is a lot of stuff on child protection unsure of what to do about it in Part 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Does anyone have the lawschool.ie revision guides for this sitting? will trade my soul #desperatecall

Mod
    Sorry only exam grids may be swapped thru' this forum. We cannot cope with trading/swapping of any other material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Would anyone be able to tell me what the case of Quigley v City of Cork says about equality in constitutional please? Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭illy.m

Can anyone be so kind and tell me what questions/topics came up in Criminal October 2017 sitting? Would really appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ninetythree

illy.m wrote: »
    Can anyone be so kind and tell me what questions/topics came up in Criminal October 2017 sitting? Would really appreciate that.

Q1: PQ - Aggravated Burglary/S3 Assault, False Imprisonment/Threats to Kill/Defence of Duress

Q2: PQ - Murder (intention) or Manslaughter/ Defence of intoxication and provocation

Q3: PQ - Unlawful detention/ Right to Silence

Q4: Essay - Defence of diminished responsibility

Q5: PQ - Sexual Assault/ attempted rape/ consent

Q6: Essay - Strict Liability

Q7: Essay - Classification of criminal offences

Q8: Essay - Special Criminal Court

Q1: PQ - Aggravated Burglary/S3 Assault, False Imprisonment/Threats to Kill/Defence of Duress

Q2: PQ - Murder (intention) or Manslaughter/ Defence of intoxication and provocation

Q3: PQ - Unlawful detention/ Right to Silence

Q4: Essay - Defence of diminished responsibility

Q5: PQ - Sexual Assault/ attempted rape/ consent

Q6: Essay - Strict Liability

Q7: Essay - Classification of criminal offences

Q8: Essay - Special Criminal Court

You are a star! Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

pk23 wrote: »
    For constitutional I'm focusing on

equality
    freedom of speech
    family and education
    personal rights
    judicial review
    separation of powers
    property rights
    abortion
    the president/AG

Apart from those not really sure what other topics to cover, or how many more I really need to do - any advice on what people are focusing on/leaving out would be much appreciated :)

Fair procedures hasn't come up in a while and it's usually a popular one. EU law (ie Crotty and Pringle) is one not to miss as well, I think.

Interesting that you have abortion on the list. I don't know if that's necessarily going to come up - it's almost TOO easy to write about seeing as it's in the news all the time. I know there's that ongoing case in the Supreme Court relating to the Nigerian couple but the examiner won't expect a discussion of cases that aren't decided - and of course the paper was set a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 sls16

Would anyone be able to tell me what the case of Quigley v City of Cork says about equality in constitutional please? Thanks in advance!

In that case, the part time teachers were claiming inequality as they were not treated the same as full time teachers. Though they conducted similar work and hours, their rates of remuneration were different.
    But the court said they weren't discriminated against as "human persons", and said they couldn't find that they were discriminated on the basis of gender, colour, creed, political leaning or any other human characteristic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭annmc882

CON - narrowing down to :

• Separation of powers- general essay question-
    • Property rights
    • Art 38.1 or Art 40.3 –
    • Freedom of Expression with religion or general FOE and
    • advertising question in light of new Social Media
    • Abortion- in context of rights of unborn child.
    • Amending the constitution
    • Constitutional interpretation
    • Article 16.2- Oireachtais- proportionate representation.
    • Doctrine of Proportionality

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

*Constitutional*

The Examiner referred to a problem question in a past report that the issue was "duty to give reasons". What topic does this come under? TIA

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

demarche wrote: »
    *Constitutional*

The Examiner referred to a problem question in a past report that the issue was "duty to give reasons". What topic does this come under? TIA
    Administrative Law.

That's not a sarcastic answer by the way, it's just that the current examiner has decided to increase the amount of topics on the paper that were traditionally taught as part of Administrative Law modules. Judicial review, expanded locus standi questions and the duty to give reasons...none of which would feature on a traditional Constitutional Law paper.

You're starting point here should be Mallak which runs through previous authorities and the Supreme Court leans heavily on there being a duty to give reasons.
    The developing jurisprudence of our own courts provides compelling evidence that, at this point, it must be unusual for a decision maker to be permitted to refuse to give reasons. The reason is obvious. In the absence of any reasons, it is simply not possible for the applicant to make a judgment as to whether he has a ground for applying for a judicial review of the substance of the decision and, for the same reason, for the court to exercise its power. At the very least, the decision maker must be able to justify the refusal. No attempt has been made to do so in the present case and I believe it would be wrong to speculate about cases in which the courts might be persuaded to accept such justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 demarche

Robbo wrote: »
    Administrative Law.

That's not a sarcastic answer by the way, it's just that the current examiner has decided to increase the amount of topics on the paper that were traditionally taught as part of Administrative Law modules. Judicial review, expanded locus standi questions and the duty to give reasons...none of which would feature on a traditional Constitutional Law paper.

You're starting point here should be Mallak which runs through previous authorities and the Supreme Court leans heavily on there being a duty to give reasons.

Thanks heaps for that - you've really helped me out! The examiner did point to the Mallak case, and Meadows and Rawson so hopefully I can pull something together with those three!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

demarche wrote: »
    Thanks heaps for that - you've really helped me out! The examiner did point to the Mallak case, and Meadows and Rawson so hopefully I can pull something together with those three!

In my manual this is in the chapter on Fair Procedures (just another way of saying admin law).

Mod : Sorry no references to course, tutors etc here. Post deleted[B][/B].

Apart from that, good luck to all. Happiest days of your lives and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Robbie25808

Constitutional Law:

Is the right to earn a livliehood an unenumerated right? Just wondering in case an essay on unenumerated rights is asked.

I know Cafolla says that it is a property right but hand says that it is a personal right.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Frances94

illy.m wrote:
    Guys the Citycolleges night before notes are out if anybody was waiting for them.

Are they available online? I only see the October 2017 set.

google night before notes. they do come up as oct 2017, but when go in, its actually march 18

• Advertisement

google night before notes. they do come up as oct 2017, but when go in, its actually march 18

Are they any good for revision?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bonhamr

Does anyone have the October 2017 Contract Topics that came up?

bonhamr wrote: »
    Does anyone have the October 2017 Contract Topics that came up?

O & A
    Consideration
    Formal & Ev Requirements
    Terms
    EC
    CP
    Misrep
    remotness of damages
    Discharge

They would be good as a last thing to look over before the exam. They do cover everything but they are very much consolidated. I usually read them over and add my own bits and pieces i.e. facts of the case etc. or some other NB point thats not covered. And I would read that before going into the exam. I would not recommend them as the only revision source.

annmc882 wrote: »
    Are they any good for revision?

They would be good as a last thing to look over before the exam. They do cover everything but they are very much consolidated. I usually read them over and add my own bits and pieces i.e. facts of the case etc. or some other NB point thats not covered. And I would read that before going into the exam. I would not recommend them as the only revision source.

Yeah i think night before but then prob hit panic mode with them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 b.anna

Hi just wondering if someone could help me out with 2 cases for EU. Vlassopooulou and laboratoires phramaceutques bergaderm. Just looking for brief summary and judgement. Really appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

Anyone else in panic/stress mode? had like 3 meltdowns today :(((((((

yournerd wrote: »
    Anyone else in panic/stress mode? had like 3 meltdowns today :(((((((

I am still doing notes and 2 exams next week... that cant be good :(

I wont have it learnt in time ... panic has set in big time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

I'm always doing notes incredibly close to the exam and I've been fine so far...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement