Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vorsprug Durch Technix..........my arse!!!

• 04-03-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭

Picture the scene.......... A new Audi A6 (2016), with 42,000km, fully serviced, driven carefully......... Should almost be nirvana or utopia or whatever the motoring equivalent is.........

Second remote key doesn't activate the folding electric mirrors, so if I bring the working set of keys with me, the door mirrors stick out and are thus vulnerable to damage.

Drivers electric window has, at times, a mind of its own. Try to open the window and it could open fully and then close fully. No obvious reason, no obvious change to make it stop......

Warning light cam eon one morning about six weeks ago. Turned out to be water pump failure. Car was rescued and new water pump installed.

Two weeks later, on a roundabout in Dublin at rush-hour, car wouldn't drive. I had power but it was an obvious clutch/gearbox issue. Turns out gearbox was cracked!!! Rescued and car taken away for replacement gearbox.

Audi win no medals for customer service on this one. It took me two days to find out where they had taken my car. I was then told new gearbox was being sourced from Germany. I had to make all the calls, seeking updates on the repair, when would work be complete, etc. Meanwhile car hire company are phoning me looking for their car back... More phone calls to Audi to sort this out.

Audi customer care? I complained and they essentially told me to take it up with the Audi garage in Dublin. In essence, "nothing to do with us"!!!! Subtext, we fixed your car, what else do you want???

Nothing in terms of explanation as to the poor experience I have had as a new Audi driver! Nothing to improve my view of Audi as a quality brand. Nothing to make me either consider buying another Audi or recommend Audi to friend or family.

My view of Audi quality, high standards of customer care and "Vorsprung Durch Technik"? A load of marketing nonsense and nothing else!!!!! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Gorteen wrote: »
    "Vorsprung Durch Technik"? A load of marketing nonsense and nothing else!!!!! :mad:

Did you honestly think there was more to it than that. Cars do break, even new ones, unfortunately.

From Audis point of view, yes the car broke, twice and they fixed it twice.

In fairness to Audi it does sound like your issues, quality of the car aside, lie with the dealer. They should have rang when they received your car, rang to extend your rental car and kept you in the loop re: time frames for repairs etc.

Have you talked to the repairing dealer about your issues? They will probably take a slightly more dim view as it's their staff who let you down, technically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Wait till it's 10 years old it will be a scrapper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Imagine the struggle with regular non folding 'sticky-out' mirrors everyone had to cope with until relatively recently! The horror!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah and damn mobile phones these days too. Remember when they just made and received calls, how did we ever cope?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

alastair wrote: »
    Imagine the struggle with regular non folding 'sticky-out' mirrors everyone had to cope with until relatively recently! The horror!

I'm still coping with them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭slovakchick

Audi's slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning "Advertisement through Technology".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Their silicone dampened grab handles are top-notch to be fair. That's how you measure build quality.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I'm still coping with them :pac:

Me too, and on an Audi no less.

I've proper old-school chrome mirrors on my classic volvo too - which need manual adjustment following on from manually winding down your windows. The inhumanity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Gorteen

alastair wrote: »

I guess its the annoyance of assuming they would work as they should is the point i'm making.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

I guess its the annoyance of assuming they would work as they should is the point i'm making.........

Whether its an audi or a kia. Op bought this as a car that he wanted.
    If you shell out a lot of money or small money for something new,
    you expect it to work.

Maybe someone here op can help you. I cant. But if i was you id bring it back and ask for a refund. If things are going wrong now in its first year. Whats waiting for you down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Audi's slogan is Vorsprung durch Technik, meaning "Advancement through Technology".

Advantage not advancement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,147 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Whats this got to do with buying?>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kupus wrote:
    Whether its an audi or a kia. Op bought this as a car that he wanted. If you shell out a lot of money or small money for something new, you expect it to work.

Someone has to buy the Friday afternoon lemons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

kupus wrote: »
    Whether its an audi or a kia. Op bought this as a car that he wanted.
    If you shell out a lot of money or small money for something new,
    you expect it to work.

Maybe someone here op can help you. I cant. But if i was you id bring it back and ask for a refund. If things are going wrong now in its first year. Whats waiting for you down the road.

The car has had 2 issues one of which has been resolved and its not clear if the OP has highlighted the issue with the window, which is most likely something small, so there's little chance of a refund or replacement.

The OPs problem is that they are dealing with a bad dealership, as all manufacturers have issues with new vehicles it's just that most are resolved easily so people don't post on the Internet complaining.

Key fob mirror issue seems to be a feature, not a bug.
    http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/folding-mirrors-only-work-keyfob-196197/

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whats this got to do with buying?>

Don't buy Audi. I knew that anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Advantage not advancement.

*"Advancement through Technology". Vor = Forwards, Sprung = Leap. ;)
    Someone has to buy the Friday afternoon lemons.

"Montagsauto" (Monday car) seeing as it's a German built car. That's what they call them as the citizens are still a bit wobbly after the weekend. :)

Red Kev wrote: »
    *"Advancement through Technology". Vor = Forwards, Sprung = Leap. ;)

In the German language for example when you are ahead in a race then you have a 'Vorsprung'. Or if you're up a goal then that's your 'Vorprung'.

Advancement is Fortschritt. Vorsprung is advantage. Trust me, its my mother tongue. You can also check on dict.cc of course. ;)

You're right on the Montagsauto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

In the German language for example when you are ahead in a race then you have a 'Vorsprung'. Or if you're up a goal then that's your 'Vorprung'.

Advancement is Fortschritt. Vorsprung is advantage. Trust me, its my mother tongue. You can also check on dict.cc of course. ;)

You're right on the Montagsauto.

OK. I always thought Vorteil meant advantage. My bad.

Red Kev wrote: »
    OK. I always thought Vorteil meant advantage. My bad.

Not at all bad Kev. Your German is good. Vorteil is advantage, too, just with a subtle difference.

A Vorteil is an advantage that has yet to materialise but is tangible all the same. To stay with the race analogy - say my legs are 8 inches longer than yours or I have currently form and you don't. Then I have that as my Vorteil.

Whereas Vorsprung is an advantage that has actually materialised. Like halfway down the full distance I have 10 metres Vorsprung.

Both could be translated with advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the OPs case the advantage hasn't actually materialised though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

He should have bought a Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I always thought Vorsprung meant progress, but I suppose it's the same thing really. My German textbook in school was called Vorsprung

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Or a Ford...

bmwguy wrote: »
    I always thought Vorsprung meant progress, but I suppose it's the same thing really. My German textbook in school was called Vorsprung

How is it the same thing? It's clearly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

"Vorsprung Durch Technik"? A load of marketing nonsense and nothing else!!!!! :mad:

Did you honestly think there was more to it than that. Cars do break, even new ones, unfortunately.

From Audis point of view, yes the car broke, twice and they fixed it twice.

In fairness to Audi it does sound like your issues, quality of the car aside, lie with the dealer. They should have rang when they received your car, rang to extend your rental car and kept you in the loop re: time frames for repairs etc.

Have you talked to the repairing dealer about your issues? They will probably take a slightly more dim view as it's their staff who let you down, technically.
    To be fair, if I would shell out that much money for new audi and only drive it for a year to have gear box crack on me, I would be pissed too.
    Problem is its not wear and tier issues, but its pure issues of quality, built and actial technical design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

To be fair, if I would shell out that much money for new audi and only drive it for a year to have gear box crack on me, I would be pissed too.
    Problem is its not wear and tier issues, but its pure issues of quality, built and actial technical design.

Yeah, but nobody can do anything about that, realistically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭walus

Isn't Audi deemed as a make that introduces innovations into the production models of VAG group cars? If so there is a price to pay for that on the reliability level. I can not drop a link in here but saw somewhere that the Audi cars are by far the least reliable out of the other makes of the VAG group.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Advertisement