Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging around the city centre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

You'd like to think so, you have to wonder what else they could be doing! I don't know how it was back in the 90s, though I definitely think William Street has gone downhill in the last five years or so.

In fairness I have seen Garda move braggers along over the last few months, maybe on 6-7 occasions, I work in the city centre so I be there most of my week. Williams Street is a kip, where I work, there was talk of our store relocating to Williams Street.

But reconsidered when will highlighted the problem with shoplifting, and that we'd be unable to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

An middle aged man begging on O'Connell street threatened to shoot me and called me a 'paki' after I refused to give him money :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭dunworth1

went out to smyths on the Ennis road this morning and there was a guy begging
    outside beside the kids play houses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I saw them packing quilts into the same suitcases early one morning. I do think they are sleeping rough.

Lots of people are of this belief, hence they get money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

People would want to stop judging,and painting um all with the same brush.A lad I worked with,begs outside centra,upper William street.He just fell into a trap,of alcohol abuse after some terrible family deaths.Do not judge a book bye it's cover.

• Advertisement

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    People would want to stop judging,and painting um all with the same brush.A lad I worked with,begs outside centra,upper William street.He just fell into a trap,of alcohol abuse after some terrible family deaths.Don't judge a book bye it's cover.

Of course there are genuine cases. But from observation there is an organised element begging in Limerick.

But, even the genuine cases. What do you think he does with the money? Have you tried giving him food instead of money. That can help identify the real from the "professional".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

dunworth1 wrote: »
    went out to smyths on the Ennis road this morning and there was a guy begging
    outside beside the kids play houses

Regular fixture there.

Of course there are genuine cases. But from observation there is an organised element begging in Limerick.

But, even the genuine cases. What do you think he does with the money? Have you tried giving him food instead of money. That can help identify the real from the "professional".
    I have asked him several times to get help,but if I was handed the same Faith as him,I would probably be dead.It can happen to any of us.As I have said,Do not paint them all with the same brush.

But, even the genuine cases. What do you think he does with the money?

You'd have to wonder between all the things you could claim for before you'd HAVE to go out begging, where does it all go?

I have asked him several times to get help,but if I was handed the same Faith as him,I would probably be dead.It can happen to any of us.As I have said,Do not paint them all with the same brush.

Where is the donated money going?

• Advertisement

You'd have to wonder between all the things you could claim for before you'd HAVE to go out begging, where does it all go?

Lads I don't care what ye say,This lad I worked with for 12 years.Never missed a day,great worker,had a lovely family etc,.And he was not a drinker,To see him now,is very disheartening.

Do not paint them all with the same brush.

As I said, I don't. Giving money to an alcoholic isn't going to solve the problem though. It'll possibly salve the conscience somewhat of the donor though.

As I said, I don't. Giving money to an alcoholic isn't going to solve the problem though. It'll possibly salve the conscience somewhat of the donor though.

Where have I said I give him money?.I don't.I usually buy him a sandwich.Be careful what you wish for,it could be you out there next.

Where have I said I give him money?.I don't.I usually buy him a sandwich.Be careful what you wish for,it could be you out there next.

Er, thanks on the good wishes. :p

Good man on buying him the sandwich though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Fair play to you for being so kind. No doubt there are unfortunate cases but sometimes it's hard to distinguish them from the organised crowd of "career beggars" who find us a soft touch.

Does your friend have a place to live, or does he sleep rough? I often wonder how people have to resort to the street with a fairly good social welfare system available.Maybe there are other reasons....mental health issues where people lose the ability to get proper help and support.

Anyway, You sound like a kind individual so fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

They are emboldened by lack of intervention.

That's the crux of the discussion right there.
    City centre businesses will lose money and customers due to this behavior, which is unfortunate. The 'professional' beggars know that there is CCTV in the area but they don't care and operate with impunity. The business owners and residents of the area should demand a change to the status quo.

We have one of most generous social welfare systems in the world, so there should be assistance available for the genuine people who need help.
    The others beg on the streets quite simply because people give them money i.e. their begging is financially rewarding.

Comhra wrote: »
    Fair play to you for being so kind. No doubt there are unfortunate cases but sometimes it's hard to distinguish them from the organised crowd of "career beggars" who find us a soft touch.

Does your friend have a place to live, or does he sleep rough? I often wonder how people have to resort to the street with a fairly good social welfare system available.Maybe there are other reasons....mental health issues where people lose the ability to get proper help and support.

Anyway, You sound like a kind individual so fair play!

No,he sleeps in a type of hostel,for the homeless,but they kick him out early every morning.He had a great job,family,everything,and faith dealt him a rotten blow.Lovely guy,but the demon drink has got the better of him.Of course there is organized begging going on,but not everyone is part of that circle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Of course there is organized begging going on,but not everyone is part of that circle.

But this thread is about the orgnised begging that seems to have exploded in recent months in the city. Saying "but they are not all like that" is why a lot of people have difficulty in confronting the issue of those who are as no one wants to be the person who calls out beggers. It is impacting on the city in a drastic way. As I mentioned previously my own mother doesn't go into the city centre any more because of it.

But this thread is about the orgnised begging that seems to have exploded in recent months in the city. Saying "but they are not all like that" is why a lot of people have difficulty in confronting the issue of those who are as no one wants to be the person who calls out beggers. It is impacting on the city in a drastic way. As I mentioned previously my own mother doesn't go into the city centre any more because of it.

I'm pointing out that,it's NOT all organised.Over and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Okay but I saw 4 of them, with suitcases, packing quilts into them at 7am across from Brown Thomas. Two girls and two men. Seemed they had slept in the doorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

And I rarely go to LIDL Ennis Road now for the same reason. Some of my neighbours have also stopped shopping there too, so this faux begging does cost the local economy in the long run, but it doesn't merit any action from Gardai or City Council or whoever.

It's a pity really, because Limerick City Centre has begun to resemble a Third World community.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Actually saw one of the suitcase ladies setting up on Cruises Street this morning. Walked round the corner and there was a lad setting up near Boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

The problem is people giving them money. If they are addicts they are just feeding the habit, give to chuin mhuire or similar. We live in a welfare state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

About 8 were walking down Parnell St in a group around 11.30 today carrying holdalls/rucksacks and one with a piano accordion and they're ranged around the city centre now, Cruises ST, O'C St etc.

About 8 were walking down Parnell St in a group around 11.30 today carrying holdalls/rucksacks and one with a piano accordion and they're ranged around the city centre now, Cruises ST, O'C St etc.

Don't you hate having to attend mid morning strategy meetings.

Walking meetings? 5 surprising thinkers who swore by them
    http://blog.ted.com/walking-meetings-5-surprising-thinkers-who-swore-by-them/

Thinkers I said. THinkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

What is the law regarding beggars? I know that buskers aren't supposed to stay in one spot all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

it really is ridiculous, they seem to target the bedford row to shannon st block and across the road in front of the church and they are in your face. What can be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Mc Love wrote: »
    it really is ridiculous, they seem to target the bedford row to shannon st block and across the road in front of the church and they are in your face. What can be done?

Don't give them money and encourage everyone you know not to do so, nothing else will work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

OK so there's one guy on William St today across from Centra. He has a clean cut beard and highlights in his hair with plenty of layers that don't look dirty or torn. Was on the bus for a good ten mins before it took off and he got about four or five people giving him money. There's another at the entrance of the lane of Cruises St and they all have accordions. Both Roma.

I was waiting for the green bus the last day and there was another guy in the same spot as frosted highlights on William St but he was playing his accordion. 20 minutes later another older (all different) guy comes up into the bus stop with his own accordion but he's walking and playing .

Was in Dunnes the last day and this Roma girl and boy. She was teens comes up and barks at the assistant (not being dramatic it was really rude) for a euro scratchcard. The woman said there's only two upwards and the boy started arguing for her until the lady working was like look 2 and pointed at the price symbol on the scratchcard.

Walking out then there was that gang with suitcases. Something surely has to be done about this. I'd love to track them down on Facebook or something. They're clearly conmen. I'm still weak at the guy begging with highlights . You'd see worse off here from people with houses 😂

Advertisement