Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Begging around the city centre.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

They're clearly conmen. I'm still weak at the guy begging with highlights . You'd see worse off here from people with houses 😂

He's probably putting more back into the economy than somebody buying gallons of the cheapest booze they can get with the same money. If you had to choose between the two like...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

There were TWO beggars in Todds Bow this morning (side of EBS). They didn't look together. They were about 5m apart :-o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭swoofer

I was in Limerick yesterday and the begging was very noticeable. I thought I was in USA!!

Is it not illegal here? IT SHOULD BE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brighterdays

Suspect number one back in the same place as highlights from yesterday lmao

Lads would they ever go away. They must travel Ireland with this shtick

They just keep taking whatever is in the cup and put it into their pockets so it looks like they have nothing. I don't think a real person in need would be that calculated

OMG I'm weak. So he just jumped up all of a sudden and started walking around the corner. Wondered what was going on. Didn't a garda car just pass by and he saw it coming up the road first and hopped around the corner and turned his back to the road. Swung his accordion around to the front of him but left the suitcase he was sitting on. He was peaking around the corner until they passed Dealz and then sat back down and started playing.

I'm on the bus literally across from him waiting to head off. I'm not stalking them. Just so that's clear. Hahahaha

Another one by Arthurs Quay today as well. By the ATM. Can anything be done about them? I say we ring the garda and tell them to keep patrol on that area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Yeah it's definitely gotten much worse recently.

I do pass through certain streets regularly going to and from work and I counted at least 3 new suit cases (seating on the case with a plastic cup held out with one been kind of passive aggressive) from Bedford Row to Arthur's Quay.

You might think if it was just 1 new beggar than okay there's nothing up with that but 3 at roughly the same time?? If I was a suspicious person I'd think...

Oddly enough the guy normally opposite the BOI ATMs on O'Connell Street wasn't there today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Also, I've noticed "managers" walking around to each of their team. Highly orchestrated, and even has a hierarchy. :D

Also, I've noticed "managers" walking around to each of their team. Highly orchestrated, and even has a hierarchy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 smurfyirl

The Gardai dont really have the power to move on beggers anymore. Under the Criminal Justice Public Order Act 2011 - there was an offence for aggressive begging or begging near ATMS.

This was challenged in the high court and the gist of it was that the state had to prove that whoever was begging does not have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

That means for there to be a prosecution - the guard had to prove the begger has no licence. If its a Roma they will claim little/no english. Therefor you have to actually get an interpreter with you to the side of the road. How likely does anyone think that is to happen?

Basically the gardai can give a direction to move on for loitering. But the courts wont uphold any charges given and as a result its pointless.

Also re numbers on patrol - there was a five year hiring freeze. Numbers of guards are way down so patrolling/policing is hugely effected and will be for a few years yet at current recruitment rates.

smurfyirl wrote: »
    The Gardai dont really have the power to move on beggers anymore. Under the Criminal Justice Public Order Act 2011 - there was an offence for aggressive begging or begging near ATMS.

This was challenged in the high court and the gist of it was that the state had to prove that whoever was begging does not have a licence under the Street and House to House Collection Act of 1962.

That means for there to be a prosecution - the guard had to prove the begger has no licence. If its a Roma they will claim little/no english. Therefor you have to actually get an interpreter with you to the side of the road. How likely does anyone think that is to happen?

Basically the gardai can give a direction to move on for loitering. But the courts wont uphold any charges given and as a result its pointless.

Also re numbers on patrol - there was a five year hiring freeze. Numbers of guards are way down so patrolling/policing is hugely effected and will be for a few years yet at current recruitment rates.

This would make a good article in the Limerick Leader.

People need to stop giving them money. Unfortunately, it's probably the casual visitor that's giving them money not knowing how organised it is.

• Advertisement

I'm shocked Joe brigherdays, shocked I tell you!

I'm shocked Joe brigherdays, shocked I tell you!

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Shaken to the core

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Maz2016

The man outside AIB in O’Connell street seems genuine. He has a dog with him. I feel sorry for the dog too but he clearly treats her well. I gave him a few quid this week. He never asks for it. Seems a polite man. Scary to think it could happen to anyone

Advertisement