Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spending far too much money on food - Advice please

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Just to add, you don't have to cook gastronomical feasts every evening!!
    An omelette and chips can be very tasty.
    Or even just sausages, mashed potato and gravy.

You'll find you're own cooking groove!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

ellejay wrote: »
    Just to add, you don't have to cook gastronomical feasts every evening!!
    An omelette and chips can be very tasty.
    Or even just sausages, mashed potato and gravy.

You'll find you're own cooking groove!

Sausages mash and gravy.

grr-homer.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Shenshen wrote: »
    Anything that comes in the shpe and form of a stew is your friend: Chilis, curries, chunky soups, things like that...
    This.

Once I realised that a lot of dishes are basically stews it helped me a lot in terms of learning how to cook.

Brown the meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc).
    Add chopped veg (whatever takes your fancy).
    Add flavouring (spices, herbs).
    Add some liquid (stock, coconut milk, tinned tomatoes, booze).
    Bring to the boil.
    Then simmer for an hour.

That's how you make a basic stew, chilli, spag bol, curry, etc. And as another poster suggested - a couple of sausages or chops with mashed spuds & beans or Bisto gravy is an easy way to start. A grilled chicken breast with some salad & a drizzle of salad dressing - it couldn't be easier.

Once you get into the habit of cooking it will come to you a lot easier & you'll start getting a bit more adventurous. Stick with it.

Do a forum search for "easy peasy recipes". It's full of handy recipes for someone starting out on their culinary adventures! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

This.

Once I realised that a lot of dishes are basically stews it helped me a lot in terms of learning how to cook.

Brown the meat (chicken, beef, fish, etc).
    Add chopped veg (whatever takes your fancy).
    Add flavouring (spices, herbs).
    Add some liquid (stock, coconut milk, tinned tomatoes, booze).
    Bring to the boil.
    Then simmer for an hour.

That's how you make a basic stew, chilli, spag bol, curry, etc. And as another poster suggested - a couple of sausages or chops with mashed spuds & beans or Bisto gravy is an easy way to start. A grilled chicken breast with some salad & a drizzle of salad dressing - it couldn't be easier.

Once you get into the habit of cooking it will come to you a lot easier & you'll start getting a bit more adventurous. Stick with it.

Do a forum search for "easy peasy recipes". It's full of handy recipes for someone starting out on their culinary adventures! :)

On the fish in a stew it is better to pouch it first (milk/water whatever liquid) use the pouched stock in the stew and add the fish later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Lessons in life no: 1 - Don't be this guy.

Lots of good advice here, OP. The truth is learning to cook can be expensive. Do you want to be a cordon bleu cook? Or somebody who can feed themselves without spending a fortune - and pull the stops out when the occasion demands?
    For every large-scale chilli or stew you learn to cook, learn how to prep a quick & easy weekday tea like broccoli pasta*, a snack like scrambled eggs or a veg-based side that you'd actually eat yourself. I live alone & it's v difficult to find the motivation to prep meat & 3 veg every night. I like Budgetbytes.com because she offers good meal combinations and she gets that not everybody is cooking for 3 kids (I adore her Hearty black bean quesadilla and the Turkey garden loaves).
    *Broccoli pasta. You'll need: dried pasta, broccoli, garlic, chilli flakes [well, Schwartz crushed chilli - you'll find little jars in the spice aisle], anchovies [get the little John West jars - they last for ages], olive oil, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts [optional]. Method: Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add plenty of salt, then throw in enough pasta for yourself. Let it bubble away there and chop a handful of broccoli into chunky florets. When the pasta is pretty much done, throw in the broccoli for 90 seconds. During those 90 seconds, peel & chop 1 or 2 cloves of garlic. Then chuck the contents of the saucepan into a colander you've placed in the sink. Return the pan to the hob and add a good glug of olive oil. Allow it to heat up a little and then throw in the chopped garlic, a large pinch of the crushed chilli and 1 or 2 anchovy fillets. When the garlic begins to soften, return the pasta & broccoli mix to the pan and mix it through the garlicky, anchovy-rich oil over the heat, stirring it for a couple of minutes. Serve with Parmesan & pine nuts. Delighted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Recipe ideas on here - https://www.nhs.uk/change4life-beta/be-food-smart#jIXI7QpszFVWDvaE.97

Just saw an ad for the app on tv do have downloaded it, gonna check through it but first glance it looks good

Edit : this app is great, gives recipe ideas etc etc worth downloading imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Based in RoI ?

If so, your local public library is sure to have lots of cook books available for loan - try a few out before you go buying any

Catalog : http://librariesireland.iii.com/iii/encore/?lang=eng

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fascinating replies.

Agree fully with slow cooker/ simmering on very low gas.

I used to be a very very good cook, baking especially, but long term illness means I cannot be on my feet for very long and so if I have made anything "complicated" am too exhausted to eat it.

And an increasingly limited income makes for increasingly interesting shopping; governed by what is on the reduced counters! And use gas rather than anything electric.

Simple is best. It really is. I can make eg sweet potato chips and egg etc in minutes . While washing up etc too, Or cook veg the day before and freeze some; cooks in the same time whether a lot or a little . Same with soups. Sweet potato and butternut squash are on offer every week or so at 49 cents, Make glorious "stoup" ie thick soup that freezes well. They both thicken soups. Makes it so easy to make.

Also simple ideas like a slice or two of cheese in the bottom of the bowl before you pour the soup in...

above all, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

I found that fresh veg. went to waste a lot when cooking for one. If you've been used to cooking in a family set up, you might want to change dinner options when cooking for one. Bulk buying is usually no advantage either particularly with fresh fruit/veg. To try and cut down on veg. going off and being thrown out you need to plan your meals for the week. Will your dinners have peppers (buy a bag of three) like for stir fries or carrots, parsnip type veg. (buy a small bag)like for stews. Instead of throwing out veg. that is starting to go soft, make a soup with it & freeze individual portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I found that fresh veg. went to waste a lot when cooking for one. If you've been used to cooking in a family set up, you might want to change dinner options when cooking for one. Bulk buying is usually no advantage either particularly with fresh fruit/veg. To try and cut down on veg. going off and being thrown out you need to plan your meals for the week. Will your dinners have peppers (buy a bag of three) like for stir fries or carrots, parsnip type veg. (buy a small bag)like for stews. Instead of throwing out veg. that is starting to go soft, make a soup with it & freeze individual portions.

agree totally. I cooked a kilo of carrots and half a cauli; still sightly al dente.. used a good portion and bagged and froze the rest . Next time i need soup.... in they will go. . saves on fuel too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

Leftover cauliflower is good as a side dish with curries too: oil/turmeric/whole cumin seeds/nigella seeds/mustard seeds/curry powder/garam masala - mix & match.

Advertisement