Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is 5GB enough data for one month

Options
  • 04-03-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

im currently with 3 and have unlimited data, just got a letter in sayingmy contract is going up by €5 per month, ive searched around for pre pay deals and see vodafone are doing a payg deal for 30 quid per top up and get unlimited calls and texts to any network and 5gb of data, now i dont make many calls its mostly
    texts and some twitter and light browsing, would 5gb be enough for that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

if all you do is regular browsing its loads

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you don't connect to the Internet using WiFi and you have anot android phone there is a data use age screen under settings to give you an idea how much data you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a billpay deal with Vodafone that has 5GB of data, and I've never gone near the limit. Well, except this month when I logged in to a webcam and forgot I still had it open and basically streamed for about 4 or 5 hours :eek: Vodafone texted me when I was 1GB off my limit.

Other than that I'd use the phone for browsing a LOT, including playing the odd short video (on FB or Twitter or the like) and maybe one or two downloads. I've on occasion streamed an hour-long TV programme to the laptop using the phone data. And like I say, I've never except this month got near the 5GB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

suppose i could try it for a month and see how i go

cheers lads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Really depends on what you do on your mobile, as said above check your data usage in the settings menu. Click on the date and check the last full month. This should give you a good idea what data you need. 5gb wouldn't be enough for me and I have use of wifi at home. I download torrents from time to time and use Spotify every day, watch YouTube. I'd want 15-20gb for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your phone can tell you how much you used last month. Thats a pretty good indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

ED E wrote: »
    Your phone can tell you how much you used last month. Thats a pretty good indication.

phone was saying 21gb for the current period, when i checked my account on line
    previous bills have said id used 2-3 gb most months and once in the last 12 months it was 4.8gb

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

phone was saying 21gb for the current period, when i checked my account on line
    previous bills have said id used 2-3 gb most months and once in the last 12 months it was 4.8gb

That was probably the combined useage (Wifi + Data).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

im currently with 3 and have unlimited data, just got a letter in sayingmy contract is going up by €5 per month, ive searched around for pre pay deals and see vodafone are doing a payg deal for 30 quid per top up and get unlimited calls and texts to any network and 5gb of data, now i dont make many calls its mostly

Get an app that monitors your usage.

Some months I've used more 15 go

If you use it for tethering or downloading films or watch a few films on you YouTube you could go over it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

With the contract change, you could get out of contract and go to their prepay option?

Top-up €20 every 30 days and get FREE All You Can Eat Data with 4G access, unlimited any network texts, unlimited Three to Three calls and unlimited any network weekend calls. Keep €20 credit to spend as you like.

it will change to 28 days soon though, but still works out cheaper then the sim only plan of 30 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

If you are happy to move to Vodafone then one of their new €20 payg deals might suit you. Says they are for students only but you can just set up a fake facebook profile so you are between the age of 16-25 and sign up that way. Then when signed up you can delete the profile and amend your dob on the Vodafone website.

Vodafone site page: http://www.vodafone.ie/pay-as-you-go-plans/vodafone-x?icmp=HP-Car-Pos2-VodafoneX

Thread on it: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714874

Advertisement