Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds?

Options
  • 04-03-2017 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I've got these growing all over raised bed. I assume they are some sort of weed?
    Very new to gardening....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

To me they look like bedding begonias that have overwintered and so are a bit straggly. They may recover and flower again but to be honest if you have something else in mind I'd just pull them up. You could leave them there and see if they will recover. They have small white or pink flowers and usually have green or brown foliage.

Is it chickweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Chickweed was my first reaction too.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Hmmm

Seems it could be chickweed all right. Definitely a herby smell off it.

I assume pulling it all up is the way to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, it pulls up quite easily and should be easy to clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Can I ask the same Q? Are these weeds? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

I have a 6 x 6 flower bed with some nice plants in it. Its a bit messy and there's a good bit of grass growing through plants. Also dandelions which I want to get rid of without damaging anything else. Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Six of One wrote: »
    These look like blackcurrant leaves to me, but I couldn't guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Six of One wrote: »

They look like Japanese anenomes --- it will have tall stems with white or pink flowers in late summer. Very pretty and nice at a time when other flowers are fading - but - they are very invasive. If it's spreading too much you can just dig/pull it up or even spray it if you are so inclined. They die back completely in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rota lu mucca 69

happyday wrote: »
    I have a 6 x 6 flower bed with some nice plants in it. Its a bit messy and there's a good bit of grass growing through plants. Also dandelions which I want to get rid of without damaging anything else. Any advice?

Just taken out around 50 dandelions from lawn using a cheap, safe, quick and easy method (via the kitchen) any guesses?

That's right a wee drop of vinegar (directly in centre). It will also wipe out anything else it's in contact with, so just a few drops needed, in the centre of any troublesome weeds.

Previously to this tried using a flame burner device. It burnt them back but didn't destory them, the vinegar seems to get to work a lot faster (avoid if there's rain on the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Just taken out around 50 dandelions from lawn using a cheap, safe, quick and easy method (via the kitchen) any guesses?

That's right a wee drop of vinegar (directly in centre). It will also wipe out anything else it's in contact with, so just a few drops needed, in the centre of any troublesome weeds.

Previously to this tried using a flame burner device. It burnt them back but didn't destroy them, the vinegar seems to get to work a lot faster (avoid if there's rain on the way).

Thanks Rota. Can I ask does it take long for the vinegar to work? And did you literally just use a few drops on each weed?

I've seen a friend use a flame burner on his lawn but I didn't like the burnt holes it left behind. It looked awful!

Advertisement