Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mains tester query

Options
  • 04-03-2017 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

So I am checking the supply to a small appliance fed from a 4 gang adapter/block. When I apply my non contact tester to the 4 gang I get current. When I plug the appliance lead in there is no current on the appliance lead & no current on the 4 ways mains lead :confused:

How does plugging something in effect the 4 way mains supply ?
    When I remove the appliance the 4 way shows current again so it's not a blown fuse.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Can you clarify what test device you are using please?

Current and voltage are two really different things in terms of electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I suspected that I may of used the wrong term :)

Its a B&Q power tracer. Like a Fluke volt stick so non contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What appliance are you plugging in?

But if I was to guess....you have a bad connection on 4 way lead (maybe in the plugtop?)

Some bad reviews of that tester on the b&q website, may not be trustworthy.

Oh tell me about it - I have ordered a Fluke :)

I will check that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is it a voltage or current tester? How are you testing, sticking it into the socket or just near, or clamping around a wire?

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    Is it a voltage or current tester? How are you testing, sticking it into the socket or just near, or clamping around a wire?

Voltage & both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

A non-contact voltage tester should only ever be considered indicative - it is certainly not a means of proving live and is definitely never, ever a means of proving dead!
    If I rub my Fluke non-contact voltage tester on my jumper it will light up and beep.

Advertisement