Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring External building, Costs and advice?

Options
  • 04-03-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm currently in the process of speccing the electric works for a Mancave/Utility room in a Steeltech shed.
    I have run a 16mm T&E along with a separate 10mm earth(I was worried that at 6mm the earth in the T&E was undersized)

The hook up to my board will of course need a new MCB(replacing a 32amp that supplier the old shed) and I will of course be engaging a pro to do the work and to certify it.
    However some advice on the practicality of what I want and other options available will be appreciated.

The plan for the new shed is that a freezer, washing machine and dryer will be installed in the utility.
    The main space is being set up as a mancave/Studio apartment.
    Ideally I'd also have an electric shower down there(none installed in the main house so no need for a priority)

The setup in my head is 6 twin sockets, 3 lights, 4 switches(1 of the lights as a 2 way)and a breaker for the shower.
    I'm seeing this as being run off a 50 amp Sub board?
    with 3 circuits/MCB, 20 amps for the plugs, 6 for the lights and a 40amp for the shower with attention/awareness that shower use will restrict the total draw.

Any ideas or input on the practicality of the above will be appreciated
    As would ballpark costs for the work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

banie01 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm currently in the process of speccing the electric works for a Mancave/Utility room in a Steeltech shed.
    I have run a 16mm T&E along with a separate 10mm earth(I was worried that at 6mm the earth in the T&E was undersized)
    Are you in the north? 16mm^2 T&E in the south has a 10mm^2 cpc - if it doesn't then it shouldn't be sold in the south. British Standard T&E will be 16mm^2 live conductors with a 6mm^2 cpc however.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,804 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No I'm in the south but the cable was left over from a job carried out up there and waste not and all that jazz.
    I have an alternate earth run to meet regs(I hope)

Advertisement