Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extracting data from a sub meter

Options
  • 04-03-2017 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

If wrong section please move. Thanks.

I have a Northern Design Rail 310V meter installed with three solid Current transformers fitted in the Consumer Unit

http://www.ndmeter.co.uk/rail-310-info---ndmeter.html

http://www.ndmeter.co.uk/brochures/Rail310.pdf

This bit works fine and I can cycle through the menus to get the kWh per circuit.

I also have a data logger, as follows

https://www.glasenergytechnology.ie/get-1032-standard-controller.html

which came with very difficult to use windows based software.

The Windows machine is no longer usable and I cannot get replacement software. My guess is the data logger won't work with any other software.
    I have asked the seller to take it back for a nominal refund but it is falling on deaf ears

So my question is.
    If I have to bin the data logger, can someone recommend a data logger c/w software that will work on, preferably Apple but if not then on a Windows 10 laptop.

As well as the elec meter I have a water meter on the rising main with an output connected into the data logger.

Thanks as always.

ps, I know its a bit of overkill but hopefully with your help we can rescue some of the spend.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

From recollection, that meter does not store historic data. I've used them before, they are bulletproof and would nave no problem using them again.

The problem is your datalogger - it always is in my experience.

The ND meter uses modbus which is a polling network - there is a master unit (datalogger) which sends out a request to each device and records the reply. There are hundreds of parameters it can reply with.
    I'm guessing your water meter was also on the same network and behaved the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks: yes, the ND is modes and the water meter is a pulse output.

I called ND today and they recommend these guys
    http://www.eltekdataloggers.co.uk/energy_series.html

The 651 logger is designed to work with the ND 310 and ND 350, but does not, by default handle pulse.

The key is the software so I have asked them for a demo:
    Have you any suggestions for a decent data logger c/w decent software or is the s/ware a black art still!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is this industrial or domestic?

I can suggest but the cost varies greatly.

If it's commercial,

Take a look at Episensor.

Light Industrial

• Advertisement

Disclaimer, I was involved with them on a project about 5 years ago but not since, they had some smart tech then and I can only assume it has got better. Front end was impressive, all wireless based (zigbee tech) and had modules that could talk to meters, pulse output water and gas, etc.

Worth a call.

Steve wrote: »
    If it's commercial,

Take a look at Episensor.

Thanks, they only sell the s/w as a service and are top dollar, beyond my client's expenditure profiles.

Thanks, they only sell the s/w as a service and are top dollar, beyond my client's expenditure profiles.

There are always other options.

Have looked at a number of s/w packages and none of them can import an MRSO file in its raw state.
    The Raw state is an array, 49 columns wide and the number of rows is determined by the period, typically 2 years.

All the s/w packages I looked at need it in two or three coup array:
    The two column is Data/time in column one and the kW value in column two
    The three could import function splits the date and time

A two year file will need c 35,000 rows.

I have attached a sample with ten rows of raw data and then what it should look like in a 3 column solution .
    Anyone any thoughts on how this could be done in an easily repeatable process.
    It can be manual as its a one off per client.
    Thanks as always

Can you send me a sample MRSO file, should be easy enough to convert via an app.

• Advertisement

Can you send me a sample MRSO file, should be easy enough to convert via an app.

Thanks, the file above is a Raw sample, just delete from row 13 down

Is the raw data in xlsx form?

That might be an issue.

Is the raw data in xlsx form?

That might be an issue.

Yes it is in .xlsx.axx where axe is encryption

Just to add that the value in AW2 [24:00] is input as text by the ESB the other times are in hh:mm format.

I change the 24:00 to 00:00 manually

Advertisement