Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software to assess students

Options
  • 04-03-2017 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I'm looking for advice regarding software I could use where I could make a quiz/test, put it on my website, the students access it and they get the result and I also get the result - similar to Google Forms. Now before anyone tells me I'm a lazy teacher - I am not going to be using this to minimise work or to avoid correcting - I'm using it as a revision tool which the students can use where I get feedback about content that may need to be covered. I'm a language teacher and this would be very useful for vocabulary revision. I was searching last night for HotPotatoes which I have used before but I think it's difficult to link the results to a file. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Out of interest...Why don't you like Google forms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Out of interest...Why don't you like Google forms?

It's not that I don't like it - I had a quick look last night and I couldn't get my head around (maybe it was Friday night :) ) - I'm used to HotPotatoes - can you put in different types of questions in Google forms like in HotPotatoes, you can put in multiple choice, enter a word into a box, drag and drop - I think there are six in all - want to use all of these options. I will have another look - if I could do all of the above - it would be perfect. Can I also put the google form onto my website or does it have to be emailed - would like to stay away from the email option. It's easier to give website address for students to enter.

I keep to the basics with Google forms. Short/ long answers, multiple choice. You can drag in pictures too .
    It's basic enough (from what I can figure out so far). But it's great for looking at an immediate spreadsheet of answers. Make sure to have each question as 'require response..' so they can't leave blanks :pac:
    It'll give you a link in the share tab... I usually get our ' IT department' to upload the link onto the school website. Or you could convert the link to a qr code and print the pictures off and staple into HW journals ( if they're using tablet/ phone).
    It more gives a snapshot of your class rather than the big 'end of term' test.
    I'd be interested to hear about other ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I keep to the basics with Google forms. Short/ long answers, multiple choice. You can drag in pictures too .
    It's basic enough (from what I can figure out so far). But it's great for looking at an immediate spreadsheet of answers. Make sure to have each question as 'require response..' so they can't leave blanks :pac:
    It'll give you a link in the share tab... I usually get our ' IT department' to upload the link onto the school website. Or you could convert the link to a qr code and print the pictures off and staple into HW journals ( if they're using tablet/ phone).
    It more gives a snapshot of your class rather than the big 'end of term' test.
    I'd be interested to hear about other ones though.

Yes that was my idea - with my Junior Cert class, I won't get the book completely finished because the teacher they had last year went through everything in the book where I would go through the important and then backup with my own resources having the book finished or almost finished by the end of second year leaving the third year to dedicate to revision and exam prep. In my last school, we had free reign with the photocopier so it was easier to make a vocab list, photocopy and distribute - simples but now we have to be careful with photocopying so I wanted a way to do what I did and worked but without using up my print quota - I have big classes and there is only so much you can put on an A4 page :)

I'm having a look at it again and yes, you can do all of the things I want it to do. I'm adding the link to my padlet account for the students - I only started using padlet this week - it's fantastic, free and easy to use. It's private - you either give students a code or the specific web address and they can also upload questions/videos/pages etc. - I have changed the moderator setting so I can see what they want to upload before it's added.

I'll keep going with the google forms and create a form and see what happens next week with students. I'll report then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Socrative or maybe quizlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Socrative. Hands down the simplest out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Spiro66

Check out Edmodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Crazy Ivan

Flubaroo FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Nickk2017

hi
        [font=Lora, Cambria, Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]Although assessments are currently used for many purposes in the educational system, a premise of this report is that their effectiveness and utility must ultimately be judged by the extent to which they promote student learning[/font]

[font=Lora, Cambria, Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]Thanks[/font]

Nickk2017 wrote: »
    hi
        [font=Lora, Cambria, Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]Although assessments are currently used for many purposes in the educational system, a premise of this report is that their effectiveness and utility must ultimately be judged by the extent to which they promote student learning[/font]

[font=Lora, Cambria, Georgia, "Times New Roman", serif]Thanks[/font]

Well said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm doing "pretests" with my leaving certs, multiple choice tests to see what a topic is like help me see what to revise for the last few weeks. We don't have access to tablets or PCs so I'm using an app called quickkey. I print out personalised answer sheets for them, they shade in their answer to the mcq and then I scan them with my phone or ipad. It gives me a result for each student, but more valuable to me is the result for each question so I can see that everyone understands X but I need to spend some time on Y.

Advertisement