Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posting and moderating simultaneously PC

Options
  • 04-03-2017 10:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭

Hi, what is the appropriate forum (if any) to discuss the behaviour of a moderator which doesn't involve criticism of any decisions they've made as a mod?

I have no issue with any Mod decisions they've made, but in their posting manner, a manner which can rely on making disingenuous claims and using underhand tactics, whilst simultaneously (or prior to them) being a mod in the thread they're making them in.

My question, if there's somewhere to ask it, would be, is it naive of ordinary users to expect that mods won't be using underhand tactics in threads they're moderating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hi, what is the appropriate forum (if any) to discuss the behaviour of a moderator which doesn't involve criticism of any decisions they've made as a mod?

I have no issue with any Mod decisions they've made, but in their posting manner, a manner which can rely on making disingenuous claims and using underhand tactics, whilst simultaneously (or prior to them) being a mod in the thread they're making them in.

My question, if there's somewhere to ask it, would be, is it naive of ordinary users to expect that mods won't be using underhand tactics in threads they're moderating?

Have you reported the posts? Or contacted a CMod such as myself? If you do so, I and the other CMods will happily take a look at the situation for you. As it stands, the above is quite a serious allegation, and I don't think it's particularly fair to get into a he said/she said type discussion with nothing to back those assertions up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you believe that a mod is acting inappropriately when moderating, you may share these feelings with the mod by a constructive exchange of PMs with the mod, or if you believe that such a direct exchange of PMs might not be fruitful, then PM their Cmod and share with them your concerns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

mike_ie wrote: »
    Have you reported the posts? Or contacted a CMod such as myself? If you do so, I and the other CMods will happily take a look at the situation for you. As it stands, the above is quite a serious allegation, and I don't think it's particularly fair to get into a he said/she said type discussion with nothing to back those assertions up.

I haven't reported the posts because they're not in breach of any forum rules.

I have spoken to another mod in detail about it and asked them to pass on our conversation in its entirety to a CMOD but they have refused, saying I shouldn't expect them to get involved in making a complaint.

You are quite welcome to forward on your PM conversation in its entirety to me. And examples of where you feel a moderator is "making disingenuous claims and using underhand tactics".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Contact a Cmod directly & make your complaint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

I haven't reported the posts because they're not in breach of any forum rules.

I have spoken to another mod in detail about it and asked them to pass on our conversation in its entirety to a CMOD but they have refused, saying I shouldn't expect them to get involved in making a complaint.

I PM'd you regarding this.
    I didn't say I wouldn't get involved, I suggested you contact a Cat-Mod or Admin and/or go to Feedback, if you have a complaint about a Mod. I passed on your concerns.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

For Reals wrote: »
    I PM'd you regarding this.
    I didn't say I wouldn't get involved, I suggested you contact a Cat-Mod or Admin and/or go to Feedback, if you have a complaint about a Mod. I passed on your concerns.

Complaints about mods are handled in Helpdesk rather than feedback, so he's in the right place here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

mike_ie wrote: »
    You are quite welcome to forward on your PM conversation in its entirety to me. And examples of where you feel a moderator is "making disingenuous claims and using underhand tactics".

Thank you, I have forwarded them on.

Is anyone actually interested in answering the question I posed at the outset?

Is it naive of ordinary users to expect that mods won't be using underhand tactics in threads they're moderating?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Responses in Helpdesk are pre-moderated.

Thank you, I have forwarded them on.

Is anyone actually interested in answering the question I posed at the outset?

I'm sorry, but that is not the case. I asked you via PM:

"Can you provide links to where you say a moderator is "making disingenuous claims and using underhand tactics"??"

You responded to say that you would do so later, and I'm still waiting for you to provide those. I'm happy to try and answer your question, but as it stands, I'm not inclined to comment on the actions of a moderator (either positively or negatively) unless you provide some form of evidence of your claims.
    Is it naive of ordinary users to expect that mods won't be using underhand tactics in threads they're moderating?

No system is perfect, but I can assure you that any mod using "underhand tactics" would be spoken to by a CMod or Admin pretty quickly if those claims held water. I think what's being asked is fair - that you provide evidence of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,481 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mods can and do post in forums that they moderate, however if they are posting as part of the discussion and not as a mod then they are an 'ordinary poster' and are treated as such. If what they are doing would not be acceptable from another poster, then it is not acceptable from a mod, and should be reported.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement