Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham hock help for tomorrow!!

Options
  • 04-03-2017 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭

I bought a ham hock for my other half for tomorrow and I want to know the best way to cook it.
    It's just the one hock, by the way.

Will I slow roast it? (Don't have a slow cooker)
    For how long and what temperature?
    Will I cover it in foil?
    How should I season it?

I want the meat to fall off the bone.
    Any advice is really appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I would simmer it in water on the hob for around an hour and a half, then pop it in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes or so with a glaze of wholegrain mustard and brown sugar. Ham tends to be low salt these days but I find hocks can be a bit salty if you don't simmer them in water for most of the cooking time.

If you like you could add a couple of roughly chopped carrots and a quartered onion with some peppercorns to the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I would simmer it in water on the hob for around an hour and a half, then pop it in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes or so with a glaze of wholegrain mustard and brown sugar. Ham tends to be low salt these days but I find hocks can be a bit salty if you don't simmer them in water for most of the cooking time.

If you like you could add a couple of roughly chopped carrots and a quartered onion with some peppercorns to the pot.

Oh thanks so much for that Dizzy and I never thought of the salty aspect so I think I'll defo soak it and try your recipe then for the glaze and bake in the oven.

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Leave them soaking overnight to take out some of the salt.

Change the water before cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Leave them soaking overnight to take out some of the salt.

Change the water before cooking

YOu beat me to it...

Used to be able to get these for 50 cents. Those were the days. They make the best pea and ham soup ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'd go with what Dizzy advised, but possibly increasing the simmering time depending on the size of the hock. If you have bay leaf or two - chuck them in the pot too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are graces alluded to, use the cooking liquid to make pea soup. Put a carrot, an onion and a bit of celery in with the hock with a couple of bayleaves.

After you've removed the hock take out the bayleaves, bring to the boil and add about half a pack of frozen peas.,return to the boil and blitz it. Delicious with a spoon of natural yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Are graces alluded to, use the cooking liquid to make pea soup. Put a carrot, an onion and a bit of celery in with the hock with a couple of bayleaves.

After you've removed the hock take out the bayleaves, bring to the boil and add about half a pack of frozen peas.,return to the boil and blitz it. Delicious with a spoon of natural yogurt.

tinned mushy peas are even better. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Graces7 wrote: »
    tinned mushy peas are even better. ;)

I love the bright green colour you get from frozen peas.

Advertisement