Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Carlow has two strikes.

Teeming D22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely bucketing down in D20

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Tuesday's charts have been consistent now the last few runs. Most impressive charts I've seen for a while from early morning.

QvHSiOe.png?1

az6kFQF.png

Wa5Vhiw.png

91fzeFW.png

R23OIaW.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

8VWa0EE.png

Jet Steam

Vs4cgi2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looks to be very active weather off the West Coast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Worst for me in Dublin was some time in October 2003 (I think the 22nd/23rd). There seemed to be thunder & lightning all day for at least two days. I remember doing TY exams at the time. A good bit of thunder & lightning during it.

I also remember being out on the road in my estate with friends. The thunder rumbled left, right and centre. The clouds seemed to be moving in a circular motion, rather than across. It's the only way I can describe it. It all seemed quite eerie.

Finally, I have a newspaper cutting somewhere of a huge lightning bolt over Dublin. It looked like an illuminated tornado! I haven't experienced any other thunderstorm like it. Of course, there was the thundersnow in 2010. Again, there hasn't bern such a phenomenon since.

I wasn't born until '86, but I wish that I had been old enough to have been able to remember the storm of '85. I'd say it was a scary, but awesome experience for storm lovers.

I don't know how to include the photo so that it just shows, rather than have the link to it. Anyway, this newspaper photo, most likely The Irish Times is going back to the 22nd of October 2003, and is one that I referred to in the above post. I thought it might be of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Some very heavy rain just passed over West Clare, no sparks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent sparks off the south west coast

Recent sparks off the south west coast

Loads more now on the West Cork coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Loads more now on the West Cork coast.

Is that where you are? Not seeing many on the usual websites, max of 3 detected on netweather. Lightning detector coverage is bad for the west of Ireland so wouldn't be a surprise if they were missing loads.

Rougies wrote: »
    Is that where you are? Not seeing many on the usual websites, max of 3 detected on netweather. Lightning detector coverage is bad for the west of Ireland so wouldn't be a surprise if they were missing loads.

I'm seeing 5 more now, and the 3 others have expired, and they're only the ones that shown up.

I'm in West Clare btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really heavy rain in Cork City - sounds like it could produce a few rumbles and flashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

The showers approaching Dublin almost have a bow echo look to them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

loads of rain here this evening, lots last weekend after the dry spell and earlier in the week, soil/garden here back to normal at this stage. June could turn out to be a very wet month if this unsettled spell continues for the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Well hopefully tomorrow will be a brighter day with a mix of sunshine and showers, should be quick moving in the brisk wind and quite possibly some thunderstorm activity. Some models showing little rain .

rf8e7Ht.png

Itq74QN.png

k7GPiK5.png

5UrqlSl.png

tempresult_vxr7.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

New forecast just out from convective weather.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-06-06
    Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 06 Jun 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 07 Jun 2017

ISSUED 20:22 UTC Mon 05 Jun 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Over the past 12 hours, NWP guidance has trended towards a slower clearance of the wrap-around frontal system over eastern Britain - consequently the window for deep convection is a little narrower, and if this trend continues then it is likely some northern portions of the large LOW threat may need to be trimmed back farther south.

Nonetheless, on the rear-side of the upper trough (-turn cut-off low), cold mid/upper levels will advect SE-wards across the LOW threat area, steepening lapse rates and generating a few hundred Jkg-1 CAPE in response to SSTs and diurnal heating inland. Provided cloud clears NE-wards to allow sufficient insolation, numerous scattered showers are forecast to develop, perhaps weakly-electrified. Better shear will be present towards the SW, perhaps enabling some better organisation but given limited instability no SLGT will be issued for now since lightning is not expected to be widespread and / or frequent enough to upgrade to >30% probs.

On the east coast, depending on how far inland the wrap-around rain shield extends there may be scope for some frictional convergence to develop on the inner portion of this front - hence some embedded convection may develop in an environment with marginal instability. A small LOW threat has therefore been issued, although subject to positional errors and unlikely to result in much, if any, lightning.

Very heavy hail shower just now in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I don't think I have ever seen so many Anvil Head clouds around Galway today, so far nothing happening but one can always hope.:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Yea about 5 flashes so far here in south Laois..Abbeyleix in the firing line I reckon

A few more now near Mountrath with very heavy rain.

1jJBzOv.png?1

uFsV1RY.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A few more now near Mountrath with very heavy rain.

1jJBzOv.png?1

uFsV1RY.png?1

DBpKyJ3XsAEMs1G.jpg:large

South side of that shower - heard three loud booms.

Friend in Carlow reporting thunder and lightning.

Meanwhile in West Clare we've just had another very heavy shower. Some nice sunny intervals between the showers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

https://m.imgur.com/XNskUij

Something headed for Wicklow / South Dublin alright.

Edit:- Doesn't want to embed. Link added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Thunder and lightning Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Right under another cell here now in south Laois...About 4 strikes so far:D

Nice little cloud all on its own in the Irish Sea..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Nice little cloud all on its own in the Irish Sea..

Now all I can think of is this:

Oi, Oi, Oi! :D

• Advertisement

A few sferics today , I'm wondering would there have been more but for the strong winds and especially the jet preventing cloud heights to build sufficiently ( the jet was more or less running in the same direction of the surface winds ) . Also noticeable today was the lower humidity and of course the cooler air temperatures today.

Todays detected sferics

Netwweather

gfu6u48.png?1

Thurs looks like another chance for lightning dare I say a lot better then today IMO. A warmer and very humid airmass been drawn up from the SW. Forecast is for more rain then today and showing good CAPE and lapse rates and DLS not too bad, at least the jet wont be too strong as it is running probably just off the same direction as the bulk of the surface winds . Air temps set to be about 16 to 18C ( Met Eireann ), 850 hPa Temps 4 to 6C , 500hPa Temps -20 to -22C approx. If there is lightning probably peaking around 18.00. The only downside I think is that there are the remnants of occluded fronts passing over the country and that might produce too much blanket cloud preventing enough heating . Will see. Any other thoughts ?

yl9HUnA.png

fKSpxMu.png

3QEiVlx.png

3d6mbvT.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement