Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

glightning wrote: »
    How do you interpret a skew-t diagram properly? I always have trouble understanding how to work out what level convection begins, what the level of free convection is, and what the cloud top height might be?

So how do you interpret these charts to determine if a storm  is possible??

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/thermo/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Can hear thunder here near Tralee.

Edit: Lots of thunder and lightning now in Tralee Bay

Plenty of heat here, still 18.7C

LqqTVAp.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Can hear thunder here near Tralee.

Yeah couple of strikes quite close to tralee there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

very active cell just south west of Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

Just hearing a few claps of thunder in Listowel. Its also extremely heavy here! I think ill move away from under the skylight for a while! :o

• Advertisement

My mate sent me a video from tralee, lightning is very frequent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Sat on a beach in the Maherees looking back towards Tralee Bay, great view of the cell as it passed over!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting sky, seems to be all high elevated thunder.

Took a pic just 20mins ago looking NW

FYNW26A.jpg?1

Got a fright there! The heavens just opened up, haven't heard rain like that in a long time, Rain Rate 44.6mm / hr

Edit: Rain stopped fairly quickly, I guess that is what Met Eireann were referring to as sharp showers in their forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

how likely is cork going to get to see anything tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    how likely is cork going to get to see anything tonight?
    Sure, you are right next door to all the activity happening now! If I were you, I'd be out in my garden looking to the west
    http://en.sat24.com/en/gb/infraPolair

• Advertisement

Crazy amount of rain showing up now moving into the SW

All quite here again.

Dx8mAy1.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Lightning activity seems to be very sporadic

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

glightning wrote: »
    How familiar is that activity? You know what's going to happen...
    Storms fire well off shore to the W / NW as the trough initially engages the plume - activity tracks off NE towards far west Scotland.... Nothing else fires further east.
    Large shield of cloud and muck tracks up over Ireland and gives either a few and zero sparks. Just disappointment...
    Tomorrow then has max temps suppressed due to more extensive cloud than you would want with such a warm airmass. further disappointment...
    Meanwhile, across the water the temperatures soar.... the streets melt.... the CAPE goes through the roof.... the lifted index through the floor.... then BOOM! 40,000ft CB's with overshooting tops, MCS (with possible embedded supercell), prolific lightning, and all this continuing well into the evening and overnight as it tracks NE.. Everyone gets to see the light show - nobody misses out. Unlike here!!!

Seems to have come off exactly the way I feared. That is the thunderstorm distribution and also the concerns about cloud amounts this morning and it's potential to ruin temperatures today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thunder in Tuam.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rumble of thunder in Athlone, preceeded by a heavy shower.

Weird sky though. From up close it doesn't look like it should have produced much of anything. Just a slightly darker patch of light cloud away north of us now

Cape values have increased for Leinster today on the overnight runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Rikand wrote: »
    Rumble of thunder in Athlone, preceeded by a heavy shower.

Weird sky though. From up close it doesn't look like it should have produced much of anything. Just a slightly darker patch of light cloud away north of us now

Similar sky here in north county Dublin. Heavy rain, more nimbus-looking sky, no no sign currently of the high temps and humidity forecast for today

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Similar sky here in north county Dublin. Heavy rain, more nimbus-looking sky, no no sign currently of the high temps and humidity forecast for today

Well its 20 Degrees out there right now!

Well its 20 Degrees out there right now!

I posted that just after I got onto the train and the air back home felt quite fresh. Am now in the city centre and both temp and humidity are appreciably higher. If this persists, it's going to be stifling.

As an aside, I see ESTOFEX have issued a level one and two warning for some parts of the UK, and our whole island is under a sferics watch

http://www.estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017062206_201706210653_2_stormforecast.xml

• Advertisement

Clearing here now in Kildare. Plenty of convection now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

A brief thundery shower recently in Monaghan, all of 4 rumbles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Possible thunderstorms when these hit land in the southeast maybe?
    They seem to be building too.:)

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Rumble of thunder in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

North Eastern UK getting a nice show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

2 claps of thunder from Lismore Co Waterford direction just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A nice cell east of Cork City, headed NE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

It certainly looks like it will spark any moment soon. Plus it seems to heading towards Dublin....have I jinxed it???

highdef wrote: »
    It certainly looks like it will spark any moment soon. Plus it seems to heading towards Dublin....have I jinxed it???

Hopefully not. The heat and humidity out there now will help sustain it :D

• Advertisement

It hasnt rooted into the boundary layer, died off now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement