Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

moloner4 wrote: »
    I saw it briefly appearing after hearing the stirke (15 kilometres away and it was great rumble) and it disappeared after a minute or so.

Three strikes in the area on the Netweather detector.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Joebrosan wrote: »
    The Rules:
    There should be no spam, trolling or any general muppetry. (Any of this will result in posts being edited/deleted)
    Try to be friendly & courteous to each other. If things get out of hand, offenders will be banned. (Any Abuse or Racism will not be tolerated)
    Commercial advertising is not permitted. (Contact the Admins if you wish to place ads on the site)
    Before starting a new thread, please check see if there is already a similar thread existing. (Duplicate threads will be removed)
    Any "off topic" posts will be edited, closed or deleted without warning.
    Remember, not everyone may have seen a TV show.
    If you are giving away plot points, please use the spoiler tag.
    To do this, put (spoiler) (/spoiler) around the text. (replace the () brackets with [] brackets.)

It will then look like this:

(spoiler) This is a spoiler
    Don't ask where you can download TV shows or give any links to them. Infact try to stay away from discussion of downloading altogether.
    Any repeat offenders of these rules, will result in them being banned.
    All the usual Boards.ie rules also apply.

You ok?

I think somebody was hit by that lightning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Looking forward to the Prison thread where they ask if he's read the rules....

• Advertisement

Another cell has popped up heading for South Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Back to convection: That cell that passed over north Dublin seems to be active now that it's out over the sea. Few sferics detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

From Irish Weather Online (on Facebook)

"Wed 21 June 8 p.m.
    Thunderstorm alert for Dublin region valid 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
    Radar currently indicating an intensifying thunderstorm cell developing southwest of Naas likely to affect north Kildare, north and west Dublin, and east-central Meath, possibly Louth, in the next hour to two hours. Locally heavy downpours and intense lightning are the main hazards expected. Slight chance of other cells further south in other parts of Leinster now to midnight."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Spam bots attacking?

Trebor176 wrote: »
    From Irish Weather Online (on Facebook)

"Wed 21 June 8 p.m.
    Thunderstorm alert for Dublin region valid 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
    Radar currently indicating an intensifying thunderstorm cell developing southwest of Naas likely to affect north Kildare, north and west Dublin, and east-central Meath, possibly Louth, in the next hour to two hours. Locally heavy downpours and intense lightning are the main hazards expected. Slight chance of other cells further south in other parts of Leinster now to midnight."

That cell is in the Irish Sea now. The next one is looking half decent though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

"intense lightning".

Hasn't sparked a single bit of lightning so far. Not intense enough by the looks of it although there is a nice bit of rain out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Can someone please advise which is the best lightning detector site - I don't find lightning maps.org great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Bsal

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Can someone please advise which is the best lightning detector site - I don't find lightning maps.org great.

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

some more options:

http://en.sat24.com/en

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=satradar

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?date=0&lang=en&size=standard&map=AEuropeNW&data=zeus&type=strikes

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

lightning maps is my personal favourite

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Well, that breakdown was quite disappointing. I think if that low pressure had to be approaching from the SSW as opposed to the NW we'd have got a far more spectacular breakdown. The only thing of note was the "cold front" that reminded me of one of those roll-clouds that other parts of the world get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bsal wrote: »

I use the Blitzortung app on the phone and find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I use the Blitzortung app on the phone and find it very good.

Nice looking app, very active system north Germany atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some Saharan dust visible on cars in D1 today. Few big drops but things just failed to ignite totally. Completely different feel out there today

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some Saharan dust visible on cars in D1 today. Few big drops but things just failed to ignite totally. Completely different feel out there today

cars in waterford covered in it last couple of days

Here's a nice techie question: does additional dust in the atmosphere make a cloud more likely to produce sferics?

My car is caked with the stuff after last nights thundershower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Here's a nice techie question: does additional dust in the atmosphere make a cloud more likely to produce sferics?

My car is caked with the stuff after last nights thundershower.

Not sure dust can make a cloud more likely to produce sferics but I suppose it can definitely be the seed/starter/water attracter to producing the cloud in the first place.

There's some thought that cosmic rays entering the atmosphere and (spallating?) with oxygen and nitrogen molecules can start off the lightning chain reaction.
    But then you would need enough static electricity built up first from hail in the clouds to get enough charge built up before the switch (cosmic rays spallation) is flicked.

So to answer the question. It starts the cloud but may also help create enough friction in the cloud.
    But there's lots of ????? in the above.

I think that the dust can "seed" the cloud to an extent, and I notice that when we get "Sahara" rain like we did yesterday, the water droplets tend to be much larger and heavier than what we typically get with conventional frontal rain. Perhaps the heavier water droplets would create greater amounts of static than the dust would by itself. Sure, sandstorms don't create sferics, do they?? :D

I think that the dust can "seed" the cloud to an extent, and I notice that when we get "Sahara" rain like we did yesterday, the water droplets tend to be much larger and heavier than what we typically get with conventional frontal rain. Perhaps the heavier water droplets would create greater amounts of static than the dust would by itself. Sure, sandstorms don't create sferics, do they?? :D

The droplets would be bigger because they're falling from real high level cloud and really high up in the cloud. They would have originally started out as hailstones but melted completely maybe 200ft? or less maybe before they hit the ground. The bigger the original hailstone falling the bigger the droplet hitting the ground.
    A big droplet would break up into smaller droplets if it wasn't frozen for the most of its journey before it hit the ground. That said dust would have been at the core of the hailstone. It's only really hard hailstones that can create lightning or build up a charge in a cloud. I think?
    Water droplets won't do it.
    That's my take on it anyway.

On the lightning. You can have lightning produced from volcanic eruptions from dust and smoke particules rubbing off one another fast enough and the same for the smoke off some intense wildfires especially in a tornado created by the heat from the fire itself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some more clips of lightning around Tralee from the night of the 20-6-17

https://twitter.com/wildwaycampers/status/877464546985861120
    In this clip above I wonder was there an electric fence nearby or maybe phone wires?

Because I heard the very same crack or click before a lightning strike here last year and I reckon it either came from the fence or phone wires in my case.
    But I think i'd go with the electric fence. (70% sure).

Listen to the clip and you'll hear the "click" before the lightning strikes.:)

A Yellow warning for rainfall in Northern Ireland tomorrow from the Met Office, hail and thunder forecast there as well.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/879274746118107136

DHUvKhF.png

[IDay 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 27 Jun 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 28 Jun 2017

ISSUED 16:43 UTC Sun 25 Jun 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Atlantic upper trough will dig south towards Iberia on Tuesday, strong northwesterly jet on its western flank but rather weak return southerly flow on its forward side. Broad upper flow is anticyclonic across the British Isles for much of the day, but higher WBPT airmass will begin to advect northwards from France as the flow backs. Falling heights Tuesday afternoon and evening will promote some destabilisation of this airmass, but in a rather messy fashion with pulses of showery precipitation drifting north from France into southern Britain. This may contain some isolated, embedded lightning, but the bulk of any noteworthy instability will likely only clip the far E/SE corner and largely remain over the nearby Continent. Hence, some lightning may be possible on the eastern flank of showery outbreaks of rain across Kent/Sussex and coastal East Anglia late Tuesday afternoon into the evening/night, but confidence is not particularly high.

Elsewhere, behind the main frontal rain some insolation combined with cool air aloft will generate marginal instability across Northern Ireland, with scope for a few heavy showers here - perhaps weakly electrified.

Met Eireann also mentions a risk of isolated thunderstorms tomorrow .

zEukEpA.png

QDjcIP7.png

G11yNHn.png

tempresult_yko4.gif

ESTOFEX issuing several level 1 and 2 warnings for large parts of Europe.

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2017070706_201707060013_2_stormforecast.xml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We have a yellow warning in place from 4pm today to 5am tomorrow morning for storms in Luxembourg. Big storm crossed Belgium this afternoon but it looks to have missed us to the north.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement