Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice big storms in Northern France at the moment, loads of lightning over a wide area just north of Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

As usual everything skips us. Last year was much better for storms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The uk getting a fair amount.. Ugh... Come on Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

It feels very close this evening, very overcast!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

We are just getting it with the system that has been over Northern France. It is a bit bigger than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

In Holland and the thunder and lightning is like I have never seen for the last 2 hours. Huge sheets from one horizon to the other turning night into day and torrential rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Is there a chance we will get to experience any of this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Is there a chance we will get to experience any of this?

extremely unlikely, there is no heat over Ireland, just atlantic air.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good forecasting by Convective Weather yesterday for the UK

https://twitter.com/convectivewx/status/883218631672385537

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

36000 fupping lightning strikes! :eek:

We get 3 lightning strikes and call it a thunderstorm!!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

DOCARCH wrote: »
    36000 fupping lightning strikes! :eek:

We get 3 lightning strikes and call it a thunderstorm!!! :P

I know , so bland here of late it's ridiculous , need a good shake up. Getting so desperate that I'm starting to look into these Storm Chasing tours in America ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Not even a spark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I know , so bland here of late it's ridiculous , need a good shake up. Getting so desperate that I'm starting to look into these Storm Chasing tours in America ! :D

I've done several of them and believe me, you'd never bother looking at another thunderstorm here in Ireland again after having a few Mid-West USA supercell experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'm in Florida at the moment. There were some July the 4th fire works on the beach. My wife told me to grab a video of the it. In the back ground was a thunderstorm lightning up the sky, needless to say I positioned myself in a way that the lightning was captured. No one else cared about the thunderstorm. Ireland is a safe place to live weather wise, but if you love extreme weather, Ireland is your last place to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,323 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

i thought they would have stopped all airport activity until it passed:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Great shot of it here from the air:
    https://twitter.com/WWeatherNerd/status/884740554076160000
    They seem to get severe thunderstorms this time of year. Last July, the airport closed and our flight diverted to Budapest after holding for ages around Vienna. The towering CBs were just immense and scary looking from the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i thought they would have stopped all airport activity until it passed:confused:

That could be miles away, you don't stop operations everytime there's a thunderstorm in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,323 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

JCX BXC wrote: »
    That could be miles away, you don't stop operations everytime there's a thunderstorm in the vicinity.

i just thought there would be with something as severe as a tornado knocking about the place. ive landed in fairly severe thunderstorms alright. its fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Interesting read here Wanderer78, according to this report air traffic was temporarily suspended although looking at flight tracker it would seem not for long. Large hail did enormous damage to crops in the area.

https://watchers.news/2017/07/10/tornado-vienna-austria-july-10-2017/

Bit of interest Tuesday for Thunderstorms, early days yet but worth keeping an eye on developments. Looking like a very warm day across large parts of the country.

Met Eireann

Tuesday will start out dry with sunshine, however, the winds will become southeasterly in direction and the change in wind direction will bring a risk in the east of heavy showers in the afternoon and early evening. The fairer weather will continue in the west of the country where it will be warm once again.

Convective Weather

vMOcVNJ.png

Day 4 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 18 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 19 Jul 2017

ISSUED 14:17 UTC Sat 15 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Negatively-tilted Atlantic trough will slowly approach from the west on Tuesday - on its forward side, advection of a high WBPT airmass will occur from Biscay/France into southern Britain. This, combined with falling heights aloft, will aid destabilisation of the mid-levels through isentropic lift.

Given the lead time, there will undoubtedly be some uncertainty as to the exact forecast evolution (even on the day of the event, let alone some 4 days in advance!), but a broadbrush approach has been adopted for now to highlight some reasonable consistency amongst various NWP guidance. Upgrades to SLGT and perhaps MDT are likely as confidence improves nearer the time.

Current thinking is elevated thunderstorms will begin to develop on Tuesday afternoon over northern France / Channel Islands / English Channel, and then drift northwards in some fashion to S/SW Britain, continuing N or NE through the evening and overnight across portions of England and Wales, and perhaps the Republic of Ireland also. The exact track, coverage and timing rather uncertain at present, as one would expect - though several solutions keep the far SE largely storm-free, but very much subject to change depending on the phasing of the upper trough with the plume. Given the magnitude of CAPE and steep mid-level lapse rates, lightning will likely be frequent where thunderstorms occur.

Charts bound to change a bit but an idea f the potential.

TU2Y7Hk.png

c4DQtX3.png

yVA51n6.png

Ywh8HFv.png

VFZscaW.png

At his stage rainfall expected in the afternoon / early evening.

Quite a showery outlook from Tues afternoon /evening through till Sunday with potential for thunderstorms.

tempresult_nlb5.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Interesting amount of cape over the southeast and seriously interesting amount up wind in the potential importation flow
    Not looking at anything else yet as it could all change but it might get exciting,conditions could get ripe for storms in the Celtic sea and ripe enough to possibly home grow in Wexford/Waterford as well as being ripe enough to keep imports alive?
    Map attached

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Weather on radio. Possible thunderstorms spreading from south east..

Aye
    At this juncture there seems to be strong potential for Welsh imports entering somewhere mid to north Wexford and spreading up through wicklow Kildare and Dublin?
    There's also potential for a similar train to hit Cork
    These could be explosive if it pans out that way
    See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Aye
    At this juncture there seems to be strong potential for Welsh imports entering somewhere mid to north Wexford and spreading up through wicklow Kildare and Dublin?
    There's also potential for a similar train to hit Cork
    These could be explosive if it pans out that way
    See attached

Will be mostly all elevated stuff so I don't think they will be explosive in nature, frequent lightning would be the treat with these storms, ofcourse once they happen during the nighttime hours.
    Take what we can get anyways!

We can live in hope pad but I wouldn't dismiss them as too elevated yet or the fact they might stay in the Irish Sea
    The last lot that took this route but stayed at sea,we could hear the distant booms in Arklow despite the lightning being mid sea
    But yeah as weather nuts we'll take what we can get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Alerts Pro sent me thunderstorm warnings for Cork and Kerry from 11am tomorrow to 2am Wed. They tend to err or caution wrt to warnings for Luxembourg so take this as you will...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'll make a safe prediction for my area, there will be no thunder or lightning here as usual with the UK mainland taking the lions share of all the fun.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement