Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Siobhan Ryan on rte weather mentioning potential for severe thunderstorms along the south Irish sea tonight.

And the east coast she said aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Inland Leinster could be very interesting tonight we shall see

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Models are differing a lot with regard to projected precipitation, the HIRLAM seems to be the one most linked to Met Eireann's forecast ( the best one with the most potential for thunderstorms I would think ).

tempresult_oai9.gif

Severe flooding in Cornwall
    Saw phone video on the BBC SW news there of a village on the lizard peninsula where emergency services are trying to rescue people
    The road is a raging river

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very high Theta E charts . No expert but high levels leading to greater instability I believe.

tempresult_vqs6.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Unusual to see such uniform temps & humidity both inside and outside. Taken from my Davis station this evening at 19.15.

20157177_10211193371202376_9113169562311190879_o.jpg?oh=2ff973fa60ec7c1bed286308d35b6061&oe=59FF07E0

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

The BBC forecasts actually have activity pushing up the east coast earlier than the HIRLAM.
    They show storms for Dublin from about 23:00 moving northwards to affect eastern NI between 01:00 and 04:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

DP of 18c here now!

Notable recent increase in sferics off the south coast in the past 15 to 30 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looking good for hitting waterford area :)

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    Looking good for hitting waterford area :)
    Definitely

The very latest sat image seems to be showing some convection initiating over land now. In particular a few cumulus trying to tower up west of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Rain Radar for 7.15pm shows the show approaching the south coast and some beefy downpours in the mix. Any south-coasters here???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Danno wrote: »
    Rain Radar for 7.15pm shows the show approaching the south coast and some beefy downpours in the mix. Any south-coasters here???
    waterford here and following radar. gonna hot the road and get my spot for the car to park up in

• Registered Users Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Danno wrote: »

anseo, i ll keep you all updated.

some webcams that might be worth keeping an eye on from the area:

http://www.tramoresurfshop.com/tramore-webcam.html

http://www.tramore.ie/webcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Waterford TAF

TAF EIWF 181700Z 1818/1903 12015KT 9999 FEW040
    TEMPO 1821/1903 4000 SHRA BKN018CB
    PROB40 TEMPO 1823/1903 TSRA BKN008=

Youghal-Dungarvan area of East Cork and West Waterford look to have the first of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Interview on BBC news channel from a councillor living in the affected areas of Cornwall. He speaks of 4 ft flash floods, rivers bursting their banks, helicopter rescues and hail of 1inch diameter smashing windows. He said he's worked in tropical areas previously and the intensity and ferocity of this event was way ahead of anything he'd experienced before. The camera footage looks dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

At owenahincha beach, Cork now, can see dark clouds rolling in over the ocean, also hearing some thunder. Its on its way!

• Advertisement

getting close to Cork

ve4PwYt.png?1

I've a super view here into Wexford and towards the south Irish sea from Arklow of the entire south skyline as visible from my location and I can see a fair bit of turbulence now on the south horizon and Cb activity
    Temp on the Davis is still 22.4c
    RH is 59%

• Registered Users Posts: 29,616 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I've a super view here into Wexford and towards the south Irish sea from Arklow of the entire south skyline as visible from my location and I can see a fair bit of turbulence now on the south horizon and Cb activity
    Temp on the Davis is still 22.4c
    RH is 59%
    Will the north east get anything?

Strike just off Dungarvan now

whelan2 wrote: »
    Will the north east get anything?

It's pretty likely yes,later in the night towards morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

Can here rumbles now, so. County wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

http://imgur.com/a/KUIE1

It's already moved a lot since I took this picture. Thunder is near constant now! Rumbles starting to shake the house even!

Heavy rain on the way

a4cMyEI.gif

x42Jd8B.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Joining the thread just in case this pans out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement