Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

S8Fbc87.png

cZQr43s.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

getting woken up to a loud rumble of thunder in cork city. delightful :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    getting woken up to a loud rumble of thunder in cork city. delightful :D

Yup, thought I had one too many drinks in me (!) but it seems I wasn't the only one that heard it and noticed the flash through the bedroom window!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The lightning in Cork last night.

NETWEATHER

EbgHjg2.png?1

I wonder will get any more today, good few strikes off the W coast overnight and as close as Galway Bay. No mention from Met Eireann so probably not expecting much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of sparks just west of Dingle

• Advertisement

Can see big clouds W and S of me here near Tralee. Heavy rain skirting the coast atm. Not forecast to come in much overland as far as I know.

ZH5jrTn.png?1

mzpkAdN.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We have had some impressive thunderstorms for the last week here in Eastern Europe. Heat during the day sets them off about now mid afternoon. Another one now rattling around to the south of us in Slovakia.

Some pictures taken of social media from Romania and Hungary.

416542.jpg

416543.jpg

416544.jpg

416545.jpg

Early days yet so open to change but going by the GFS a chance for Thunder activity on Sat as and after a cold front goes through. CAPE, MUCAPE , Shear all looking like promoting convection in the post front area of shower activity , IMO.

qBqUnvF.png

Cff7ast.png

R6UZDYO.png

eA6Qt29.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

How do you read those charts is the red color the areas most likely for thunder storms

How do you read those charts is the red color the areas most likely for thunder storms

In my amateur and learning opinion at this early stage the charts would be indicating a possibility of having enough CAPE (Convective Available Potential Energy) and MUCAPE (Most Unstable Convective Available Potential Energy) and add wind shear in helping to promote updrafts and downdrafts and the TT Index is best explained here ! http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/302/ ( Just learning as I go on :) )

As for where a thunderstorm pops up depends on where the showers form and if they track long enough across the land, good temperatures would help also. I think in the afternoon early evening might be the best time. All depends on the timing of the frontal passage which will become more evident in the coming days. As I say no expert but keen to learn.

• Advertisement

Not showing as much potential for Sat on the present runs. Staying more off the West coast on Sat evening. Will see what turns up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I' recommend never looking beyond T+72hrs when it comes to convective setups, especially at this time of year when we don't have the warm t850s present to get some juicy instability going.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I' recommend never looking beyond T+72hrs when it comes to convective setups, especially at this time of year when we don't have the warm t850s present to get some juicy instability going.

Fair point.

Met Eireann mentioning possibility of thundery showers Fri and Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I don't put too much weight on it anyways, from a West Clare perspective at least.

Thunderless since last September, I happened to be the first post on the new thread! Even that was just random and embedded in a shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Nothing in the forecasts or other info available to suggest there will be sparks from this. Ah well....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

There wasn't really much potential with this to be honest. Perhaps a heavy shower developing over the Wicklow Mtns in the afternoon/evening

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Overcast here, went above 19c a half hour ago before the cloud/haze rolled in. 18c presently and feeling a tad clammy. Overnight low of 0.8c and Gmin of -2.0c

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Some bright colours showing on the auld rain radar east of kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Rikand wrote: »
    Some bright colours showing on the auld rain radar east of kilkenny

Just high based stuff, hardly anything reaching the ground id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Arome shows some nice stuff coming up over Wales later...

eCczdPTHjo.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Moce bit of action in the uk.. We need a good show soon. It's been a while

So the Midlands East and South most likely to get the heaviest rain tomorrow and localized thundery downpours possible in inland areas. according to Met Eireann. Around Waterford showing up to get the most rain on the Prediction charts as the front seems to pivot in that area during the afternoon. Big cloudscapes tomorrow.

hqSAdNf.png

lciCEms.png

vcdMpxp.png

FQ1ag4x.png

qCiISbZ.png

7n22xpo.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook: Fri 12 May 2017

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 12 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Sat 13 May 2017

ISSUED 20:23 UTC Thu 11 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

As the frontal boundary continues to lift north on Friday, a slack surface pressure pattern will evolve near the low centre. Diurnal heating will generate several hundred Jkg-1 CAPE under a broad upper trough, with low-level wind convergence aiding the development of scattered showers and a few thunderstorms for Friday afternoon and early evening, decaying after sunset. A low-end SLGT has been (reluctantly) issued, but some questions remain over both the extent of cloud cover and also a potential warm nose in the mid-levels that may limit convective depth, and hence markedly restrict lightning potential - it is possible very little lightning may occur in the SLGT area. Assuming that parcels can overcome this, then lightning will be possible, primarily within the SLGT area. Main focus will begin in the south of the SLGT area midday/early afternoon, and shift progressively north through the afternoon and early evening.

Over Ireland, the wrap-around occlusion may provide the focus for some embedded deep convection, particularly on the eastern flank with low-level convergence aiding lift. Some isolated or sporadic lightning may be possible, hence the inclusion of the LOW threat level here.

More potential of some sparks I would think .

c8VeLza.png

oEy3bmf.png

Complete bust here today, a bit different with our EU neighbours this evening.

GrKFGFc.gif

Still chasing a few sferics :) . No mention in Met Eireann or elsewhere but wondering could today's set up produce a few strikes. Cold front and trough passing over the country with a fair bit of instability and Theta E temps not bad ( IMO ) and also some but not a lot of wind shear.

Too much blanket cloud ? Any thoughts.

mvOcuQV.png

JylXFrB.png?1

F8f5wWH.png

Gh19P8S.png

0dQlLb9.png

dg8d4YC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Certainly some potential but a real lack of diurnal heating a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Still chasing a few sferics :) . No mention in Met Eireann or elsewhere but wondering could today's set up produce a few strikes. Cold front and trough passing over the country with a fair bit of instability and Theta E temps not bad ( IMO ) and also some but not a lot of wind shear.

Too much blanket cloud ? Any thoughts.

well spotted, couple of strikes just over limerick there now, according to lightning maps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

18489783_10210579819983979_410012458640869261_o.jpg?oh=528a8faa938183a674e16a22a1674efd&oe=59BB3F5C

• Advertisement

Yea just a few yesterday , Met Eireann saying a slight risk of Thunder today. Some big convection going on , reports of hail by Clonmel1000

yAU1Qy7.png?1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement