Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    She has a tendency to use over dramatic language. I'm in Macroom and there are dark grey clouds and there was some rain but no thunder or lightning. And I reckon there won't be any either.

Because these storms are elevated, the thunder will unlikely to be heard indoors unless it's overhead. With daylight fading fast, you'll see the lightning clearer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Very big flash just now..you need to look towards airport direction if you're in the city..lovely rumbles also.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Jeppesen IR sat with sferics from the past 30 mins.

422724.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone else finding netweather an absolute pain to use this evening or is it only me?

If you mean the radar, it always struggles when theres a lot of lightning activity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Sitting in jeep in a field here watching storm tracking from clonakilty northwards. I have about 9 mins of video on phone with some fine flashes. I'll try to pick out a few pics later.

• Advertisement

Wish I knew the right terms..major pink flash just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Colser wrote: »
    Wish I knew the right terms..major pink flash just now.

Where are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Look at the sudden convention in the English Channel. Why can't that happen over here?? So frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭vickers209

heard 2 rumbles in wicklow town think there out to sea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Very big flash just now..you need to look towards airport direction if you're in the city..lovely rumbles also.

Colser, get into the kitchen and cook me something. Haven't cooked this evening due to the anticipation. Starving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

Flashes visible from the storm off the coast from Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Right next to the coast, seeing very few flashes and very little rumbles. Sad times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Danno wrote: »
    Plenty of strikes on the Wicklow coast and east of Kinsale

Remember folks: The lightning detector network covering Ireland is poor at best - so not every strike gets plotted. Using the experimental mode on lightningmaps.org will show strikes from the general area of activity also - this is particularly notable for those in the west.

I've heard a few booms near Arklow in the last half hour out to sea that are not showing up on the lightning maps so I'd agree it's sketchy

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Colser, get into the kitchen and cook me something. Haven't cooked this evening due to the anticipation. Starving!

I can't..I'm hanging out the window...bring takeaway.ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Electricity just flashed off and back on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Right next to the coast, seeing very few flashes and very little rumbles. Sad times

Calm down, it's early days.....

Current areas of interest:
    West Cork, South Kerry counties - major train of precipitation moving north.
    South Cork: East of Kinsale - current thunderstorm.
    West Waterford: Dungarvan area - few sparks, but could get lively yet.
    Wicklow: Off the coast of Wicklow head - lively cell there, might drift closer to Dublin?
    Cavan-Fermanagh border: Slow moving shower has developed in the last half hour - any sparks?
    Tipperary: Slow moving shower over the Slivermines
    Kilkenny-Tipp-Waterford tri-county area: Showers over the comeraghs, not much intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Keep an eye on the rapidly-developing thunderstorms product here. It uses cloud top cooling rates to estimate where the action is. The colours are:

Red: cooling >10 °C per hour
    Cyan: cooling <10 °C per hour
    Blue: dissipating

http://www.nwcsaf.org/rdt

422725.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I can't..I'm hanging out the window...bring takeaway.ðŸ˜

I'm just about to order, eat and stay tuned to what I think will be a non event up here in the Midlands. I couldn't make Cork with a hot takeway and sure you guys have the best options on the island anyway. I'd sooner go to Cork for the takeaway!

Any more sparks down there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Kicking off in Kerry now, rumbles and lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Macroom, thunder rolling & about 6 flashes in few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Near airport looking west...serious flashes now.

I'm in Rochestown looking towards the airport. I've not seen anything yet - I wait in blissful hope :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I took these pics about an hour ago from the still developing storm off the coast of Wicklow. These pics were taken from Tower bay in Portrane looking towards Howth

422726.JPG

Bonus point if you can spot the plane... :)
    422727.JPG

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I'm just about to order, eat and stay tuned to what I think will be a non event up here in the Midlands. I couldn't make Cork with a hot takeway and sure you guys have the best options on the island anyway. I'd sooner go to Cork for the takeaway!

Any more sparks down there?

Genuinely it's unreal..hope foxyfarmer is getting pics.

Seriously closer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

4 flashes in last few minutes WSW of cork city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

aisling86 wrote: »
    Macroom, thunder rolling & about 6 flashes in few minutes

I'm in Macroom and saw or heard nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Looking over at the airport from north side - just saw my first flashes of lightning :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement