Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

The south coast of England is in for an absolute treat. It's getting very organised over there and lightning appears to be prolific according to the sferic maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Complete non event In East Cork so far. Not so much as a drop of rain or flash of lightning!

Geez lad, I can see the Dungarvan storm from here in Laois! You're right to the west of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It's only a couple of hours into a 12-18 hour window of thunderstorm opportunity. Don't write it off if haven't gotten any action yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Seems like the Cork snow shield has been refitted for the summer season as the Cork storm shield. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Danno wrote: »
    MidMan25 wrote: »
    Complete non event In East Cork so far. Not so much as a drop of rain or flash of lightning!

Geez lad, I can see the Dungarvan storm from here in Laois! You're right to the west of it!!!

Even went down to the coast to try and widen my view. Nada!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

distance rumbles waterford city again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just seen a big flash from the window here in West Clare, incredible, so rare to have any bit of lightning here!

Edit: Another, no rain though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thunder and lightning just gone through here near Tralee.

Very heavy rain for a time with a rain rate of 35mm/hr at one stage , 8.0mm so far in less then 30 mins and still raining

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

A couple of flashes of sheet lightening and a few rumblings down here in Listowel at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

I would suggest charging your phones! We might have some power outages. You can thank me later !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Very frequent flashes here in Dungarvan and some very loud thunder. It's like constant rumbling and then very loud blasts every few mins
    Sky TV gone.

Yeah, as usual they get it all.

I want to be optimistic and stay up, but I can't help but feel this is the same "few flashes at the south coast of Ireland" event that is all too common these days in plume events. Meanwhile across the water is Armageddon

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Roanmore wrote:
    Very frequent flashes here in Dungarvan and some very loud thunder. It's like constant rumbling and then very loud blasts every few mins Sky TV gone.

Can be seen and heard from Waterford city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

glightning wrote: »

I want to be optimistic and stay up, but I can't help but feel this is the same "few flashes at the south coast of Ireland" event that is all too common these days in plume events. Meanwhile across the water is Armageddon

I feel the same. I may leave out some milk and cookies for later just in case I get hit in the midlands.:D Right now I feel like grub and bed.

Rougies wrote: »
    It's only a couple of hours into a 12-18 hour window of thunderstorm opportunity. Don't write it off if haven't gotten any action yet.

It's not though is it? For most people the preferred period is from now until 03:00. A night time storm. At the moment only a few are getting anything in the far south. And the clock is ticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Between Waterford and Dungarvan and can't remember it been this bad in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Burger7A

Really enjoy following this thread, so I think its about time I join in and put up a post! Great light show in Ballincollig earlier. Saw dozens of ic and cg strikes during the 20 mins or so I was watching. Could see the lightning in Dungarven from the South Ring Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

glightning wrote: »

Brexit Karma:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice few flashes (relative to here) currently in West Clare, probably around 10.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There's still quite a bit of action further off the South coast. It seems to have our name on it best guess time wise 2-3am hitting south coast. Whether it survives the journey I do not know.

Meantime very isolated storms but they are very potent where they do occur as is case near Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

RuthieRose wrote: »
    I would suggest charging your phones! We might have some power outages. You can thank me later !

Don't forget to plug out your PCs, Laptops and TVs as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Light flickering - mid Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Don't forget to plug out your PCs, Laptops and TVs as well.

Or buy some surge resistant power strips!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Light flickering - mid Limerick.
    ... and there's a rumble

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement