Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Looks good on lighting maps around Kilmacthomas right now, going a bit more west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Burger7A wrote: »
    Really enjoy following this thread, so I think its about time I join in and put up a post! Great light show in Ballincollig earlier. Saw dozens of ic and cg strikes during the 20 mins or so I was watching. Could see the lightning in Dungarven from the South Ring Road!
    That seems extraordinary I never thought lightning could be seen so far away

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

There's still quite a bit of action further off the South coast. It seems to have our name on it best guess time wise 2-3am hitting south coast. Whether it survives the journey I do not know.

Meantime very isolated storms but they are very potent where they do occur as is case near Dungarvan

Once they hit the south coast I expect them to piss themselves into oblivion. I really cannot see anything major creeping across the country. Hope I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Nothing here in Fermoy. Grrrr!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Comhrá

A couple of new sferics off Loop Head and also in Co.Waterford. Still a chance of a show across Munster over the next few hours. I'm not hitting the sack just yet... Camera and lightning trigger primed by the bedroom window upstairs.

http://www.netweather.tv/?action=lightning;sess=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

ella23 wrote: »
    A couple of flashes of sheet lightening and a few rumblings down here in Listowel at the moment.

always the week im not there, typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

MJohnston wrote: »
    Or buy some surge resistant power strips!

Prefer not to have to depend on them if I know whats on the way.
    Saw a large gaming rig fried even though it had surge protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

The radar signature on the cell north of London appears to show a mesocyclone. Possible supercell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Serious storms kicking off now about 100 miles off the south coast. Perhaps Siobhan was right after all. I presume they will fade.....looks biblical right now

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Burger7A wrote: »
    Really enjoy following this thread, so I think its about time I join in and put up a post! Great light show in Ballincollig earlier. Saw dozens of ic and cg strikes during the 20 mins or so I was watching. Could see the lightning in Dungarven from the South Ring Road!

In the US, scientist monitor lightning and sprites over the plains from up to 500 miles away. I guess it depends how flat the terrain is and the height the clouds reach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I've seen lightning on the west coast, east coast and south coast from here in south Laois. It depends on the elevation of the storm. Higher up can be seen from further away, especially if the sky is relatively clear between you and the storm of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tarmac100

Good few flashes to the south here just outside Kilkenny city in the last 10 minutes. In the distance I imagine, but lighting up the horizon nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I saw a large flash in the southern sky about 20 minutes ago which presumably came from Dungarvan/Waterford somewhere and I am close to 80 miles north of Dungarvan:)
    They are so elevated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Good few flashes and rumbles the last ten mins, south Tipp.

Neighborhood dogs having a sing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,707 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

All gone much quieter here in Co Waterford, was quiet intense for about 30 mins. Got the telly back to :D

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Calm and dry in Greystones so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Whahey!

Ooh please lord come to wexford! Just a couple of flashes and ill be happy! ðŸ™

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storms definitely moving inland.

lO0Tf4K.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

One flash of lightning near Adare County Limerick

Five minutes of rain

Quiet again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

One cell moved away, another one coming towards the south, now that's more like it! This one more aimed at the house! I'll stick up a few pics later if I get them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Few flashes here in Fermoy coming from the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Krispie

mid waterford: - Appears to be quieter out there now. Manic up to 20mins ago. Some show. Was watching it come in on the beach earlier. Amazing spectacle coming in over the horizon about 8pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Lightning maps dot org is crashing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Saw about 13 flashes earlier (3 sheets and the rest forks- no bolts) Was about 30 miles away and went quiet too soon for my liking.
    Better than any tv show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Great light show here in Portsmouth

www.camsecure.co.uk/portsmouth_harbour_webcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Krispie wrote:
    mid waterford: - Appears to be quieter out there now. Manic up to 20mins ago. Some show. Was watching it come in on the beach earlier. Amazing spectacle coming in over the horizon about 8pm.

What beach?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gwildor

Great light show here in Kilmacthomas... Power gone now though! Grr

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Burger7A

I'm no expert but, when I checked the rainfall radar the thunderstorm over Dungarvan was the only activity I could see to the east of Cork so I assumed that was where the lightning was coming from. I could be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Cork looks like it could get a good hosing in a couple of hours according to the latest radar:

20108376_10211195487735288_6268129033969956780_n.jpg?oh=04a80237999be0660e49ffba64b5857b&oe=59FC70B6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭cml387

Thunderstorm moving about three miles east of Clonmel at the moment.
    One flash every 2-3 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement