Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Aer Lingus from La Palma to Dublin just went over head, very strange engine noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Lightening in Salthill there.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Frequent thunder here now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Nothing here in Cork yet, looks like it'll be around 3am before it really hits?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Possibility of lightning tomorrow, plenty of convergence and instability as the front moves across the country

XK99wOj.png

DZjCthE.gif

S6D37lB.png

LOcMzTN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Just got back into bed with tea and toast. Window and blind open.....just waiting!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

That's it. I'm off. I hope it wakes me. Ive 2 smallies since the last big one it'll be interesting! They'll prolly sleep through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely pic I found on Facebook of lightning over Scattery Island (Inis Cathaigh), taken from Cappagh, West Clare

33bpn9t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Damn, my tea will be cold ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

About 2am I'd say, if it holds together.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Plenty of thunder and wind in Kilkenny at the minute. No rain yet...shouldnt be too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭hbhook

I'm in Galway City. It's getting closer..

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Danno wrote: »
    Aer Lingus from La Palma to Dublin just went over head, very strange engine noise!
    If you mean it was a kind of "whooooop" sound, that's not strange at all. It's the normal sound you get from an Airbus when it is flying towards you and beginning it's approach. It's a characteristic of the engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

I think I'll call it a night. Doubt west Cork will see any more. Nice to see a few distant flashes and quiet rumbles earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,562 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Rumblings in the distant now in Salthill.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    I think I'll call it a night. Doubt west Cork will see any more. Nice to see a few distant flashes and quiet rumbles earlier.

I'd say west Cork is ripe for more in the coming few hours! Depends on how west though, far west maybe not.

As soon as I set up my phone camara on the windowsill outside everything stopped. :mad: The Irish weather makes tits of us all I guess.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Low, low rumbles for thunder and a fantastic light show over Galway city at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

I'm going to call it a night soon too. Total bust for anything further north. Enjoy the flashes further south. Looks like the south coast of England is the main place to be tonight.
    I'm interested in that rotation that occurred in the storm to the north of London. Very unusual. Looked like a mini low pressure.

• Advertisement

There's a horrible white street lamp outside my living room...arrgh!

Deep deep rumbles again. Barley audible but there. The odd flash.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

Stars in full view in blanch tonight not a cloud in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,328 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hbhook wrote:
    There's a horrible white street lamp outside my living room...arrgh!

We use to shake the ****e outta our street lights, worked to!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Fantastic light show over south mayo for the last hour but little to no sound. At least one flash a minute. Seems to be coming from Galway city direction and clouds moving toward Castlebar.

Sat in Renmore Galway right now, rained & thundered the past 15 min, just died off now. Looking on the rainfall radar it looks like we might be in for a big one Ina few hours if the track stays the same.

Edit: flash at 1.00 am, thunder 18 seconds later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

East Cavan, 19 degrees on car in sheltered back yard, but starred sky, and cool NW/NE breeze. only sound is one/two forage harvesters in the near distance furiously crunching grass, and the cry of an occassional fox or weasel.

I love summer nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Heavy drops of rain just started again, Owenahincha beach, west cork.. hm.. will most likely die off again

• Registered Users Posts: 48,213 ✭✭✭✭km79

Still dry in this part of east Galway
    I had actually turned in when I heard distant thunder and was treated to some light show to the south west

Must sleep ...........oh yikes louder thunder !

• Advertisement

Some proper thunder now in Galway Citaaay!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement