Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

The event on the 5th August 2003 was very intense, but it only really affected the NE since the individual cells that started it all only initiated from Mullingar northwards.
    Met Office summary here :-
    1st to 4th Predominantly dry and warm with variable sunshine. Became very warm by the 4th.
    5th Very warm or hot with severe thunderstorms breaking out and spreading northwards across all areas during the day.

Sat images from that day. The first one shows the first fairly severe thunderstorm complex moving off the north coast at lunchtime. That was the late morning storm that was a precurser for the main event later in the day. The rest of the day was very hot and sunny until early evening.
    The second one is from that evening and shows the already developed MCS affecting eastern NI and Western Scotland. This was the main event! At this stage the main TS activity was just wrapping up in NI. Prior to that, the storms fired up around 4pm and resulted in 10's of thousands of lightning strikes in NI with continuous lightning and multple thunderclaps constantly overlaying each other in a continuous loud rumble. It was a great storm!
    422761.png

422762.png

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Absolutely bucketing down in Athlone. Thought I could hear a rumble but not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If you were in Galway last night or anywhere along the West Coast you would not say that, last night was the most spectacular storm I have ever seen in Galway with non stop Thunder and Lightning all of the flashes were fork Lightning, never heard thunder so loud and you could hear the crack and smell the Lightning it was so close and intense, House hit and set on fire and lots of reports on local radio of several strikes on property in the City.

Last night's storm was very intense here last night to, but objectively, I don't think it compared to the intensity of the storm back in July 2014, at least locally.

sferic_20140724.gif

Thunder/lightning wise it may not have seemed as bad because it happened during the day, when lightning may not be so vividly visible, but I think if the July 2014 storm had occurred during the dark, small hours, it would have gone down as being a bigger event than last nights (which I am still very much wired up about!!)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

http://www.wetter.com/hd-live-webcams/deutschland/bad-salzuflen-altstadt-lippischer-hof/5785fdac0c075/

Livecam with approaching impressive thunderstorm in northern central Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Looking in a sort of westerly direction in Clondalkin, the sky looks extremely dark. My sister in Naas has reported "insane" rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Well a bust more or less today unless the E coast gets some activity as the front goes through this evening. Looking at the potential for tomorrow and showing big heavy showers going through perhaps some of them electrified. Perhaps best in the midlands, NW and N perhaps during the day ( wouldn't rule out the E either :) ) and perhaps the SW, S and SE later that night and into Fri morning ? Good Cape values and lapse rates for the NW especially, good DLS later in the night. Potentially very heavy rain early Fri Morning for many areas. Some rainfall warnings perhaps.

zfxoX3w.png

j7pinea.png

ET0mD4e.png

And later....

te8IGdv.png

nu9lxgd.png

8q15Kjl.png

3qrBnjv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Very very dark in Dublin 5 but no thunder :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The AROME Satellite Cloud Simulation showing good convection possibilities tomorrow

tempresult_irj1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

This is something like the storm I saw in Thailand earlier this year, bearing in mind the camera doesn't pick up a lot of the shorter flashes, there was rarely more than a couple of seconds between strikes.

If we ever get a strong direct plume from Spain with an embedded low then there's no reason we couldn't get something similar here, problem is we don't ever seem to get that setup anymore

Some of the most intense storms I've managed to see have been in September from the Balearic Islands looking towards the Spanish mainland where an MCS would be flashing constantly.
    This video below is actually from Brisbane, Australia but is of a similar intensity to what I've witnessed from Ibiza before in September when the huge storms erupt over mainland Spain and signal the beginning of the downward trend towards autumn. They occur due to the first potent blasts of cooler autumnal air from northern Europe (e.g.. from our direction) getting right down into the Spanish Peninsula where it collides with the hot air already still in place there  :-

Here's another video from 5th October 2014 of a tornadic supercell in Majorca. This storm had a fully witnessed and confirmed tornado on the ground near Palma. Video quality is pretty poor unfortunately, could quickly find a better one. But it still gives a good impression of the lightning intensity and quality structure of the storm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

So is tonight going to be a quiet night in the west?

So is tonight going to be a quiet night in the west?
    Quiet everywhere I reckon. A clearance is coming in now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

They were still just brief small single cell storms though, if we got a real long lasting MCS thunderstorm you'd know about it! I saw one in Thailand earlier this year and it was truly spectacular, multiple flashes per second all across the sky for hours.

The potential is there for something like that in plume events but it just never seems to work out in this country, July 1985 was before my time but I assume that's the last time everything fell into place for a proper storm

I don't know but I'm sure of a spectacular thunder and lightening event that occurred around mid August 2000, I was at the Enniscorthy Fleadh in Wexford and I never seen lightening quite like it, more intense than Galway last night. I remember subsequent RTE footage of the event mentioning the thunderstorm too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

PCyjI05.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 20 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Fri 21 Jul 2017

ISSUED 22:14 UTC Wed 19 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

.. REPUBLIC OF IRELAND / NORTHERN IRELAND ...
    Cut-off upper vortex will be centred west of Ireland on Thursday, but with a trough axis pivoting northwards across the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland. The associated steep mid-level lapse rates will be best phased with diurnal heating over northern areas by the afternoon hours, with numerous showers, some perhaps weakly-electrified. Chance of an isolated funnel cloud.

Through the evening hours, a couple semi-organised occlusions will move east across Eire to the Celtic Sea, with some elements of line convection (and perhaps isolated lightning) given a strongly sheared environment - this will be getting close to Cornwall by 6z Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

glightning wrote: »
    Some of the most intense storms I've managed to see have been in September from the Balearic Islands looking towards the Spanish mainland where an MCS would be flashing constantly.
    This video below is actually from Brisbane, Australia but is of a similar intensity to what I've witnessed from Ibiza before in September when the huge storms erupt over mainland Spain and signal the beginning of the downward trend towards autumn. They occur due to the first potent blasts of cooler autumnal air from northern Europe (e.g.. from our direction) getting right down into the Spanish Peninsula where it collides with the hot air already still in place there  :-

That's more like it! I've never seen one quite as spectacular as that Brisbane storm but it's closer to what I saw in Thailand with multiple flashes per second. I witnessed another really violent one in Sydney a few years ago that also had some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen, have some video of it somewhere, I'll try and dig it out.

Best I've ever seen in Ireland was a storm in Donegal one summer in the mid 90s, I'm guessing around 96 or 97 but can't recall. A strike hit a pier about 200 metres away and the thunder was so violent it was shaking the windows. Wasn't into following the weather much back then so no idea if it was part of an outbreak or just a one off cell that stalled directly over us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

If you were in Galway last night or anywhere along the West Coast you would not say that, last night was the most spectacular storm I have ever seen in Galway with non stop Thunder and Lightning all of the flashes were fork Lightning, never heard thunder so loud and you could hear the crack and smell the Lightning it was so close and intense, House hit and set on fire and lots of reports on local radio of several strikes on property in the City.
    I guess that depends on whether we both agree on the definition of "non-stop lightning"? 
    For me it is once every one or two seconds. Not one or two per minute. I would call a one or two per minute storm a decent storm, but nothing severe.

Sorry Storm 10, your most spectacular lightning just wasn't good enough for glightning, Simon Cowell pushed the buzzer and it got a big bad X, even though you didn't mention the distance between strikes and referred to it as "non stop lightning" that's just not good enough, in fairness glightning just moved from Catatumbo, and this just wont do!
    glightning, you should join the weather competition on this forum, it can make or breaks you on here, sure give it a go, lets see how it pans out.

P.S. Storm 10, I'm jealous right out of my boots! shocked out of my boots by lightning and into someone else's boots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Cool tweet from the UK met office about the fireworks from Tuesday night/Wednesday morning

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/887591409783648256?s=09

dacogawa wrote: »
    I guess that depends on whether we both agree on the definition of "non-stop lightning"? 
    For me it is once every one or two seconds. Not one or two per minute. I would call a one or two per minute storm a decent storm, but nothing severe.

Sorry Storm 10, your most spectacular lightning just wasn't good enough for glightning, Simon Cowell pushed the buzzer and it got a big bad X, even though you didn't mention the distance between strikes and referred to it as "non stop lightning" that's just not good enough, in fairness glightning just moved from Catatumbo, and this just wont do!
    glightning, you should join the weather competition on this forum, it can make or breaks you on here, sure give it a go, lets see how it pans out.

P.S. Storm 10, I'm jealous right out of my boots! shocked out of my boots by lightning and into someone else's boots :)

Lol! True! The lightning maps probably didn't pick up all the strikes either as here in Ireland we seem to get quite a lot of strikes during storms that are not picked up. Especially CC.

My original post which Storm 10 commented on though was more about how plumes these days just don't deliver widespread severe thunderstorm activity in Ireland. If you were watching the sat animation that night, the cloud tops over Ireland were simply a shade of grey rather than very well defined white tops like those seen in England (and which we get often enough non-plume events over here). This suggests that the cloud tops didn't get very high at all. So certainly not the best outcome considering the heat and humidity we had in place at the time.

Oh well, I guess it's back to Catatumbo I go for a while 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lol! True! The lightning maps probably didn't pick up all the strikes either as here in Ireland we seem to get quite a lot of strikes during storms that are not picked up. Especially CC.

My original post which Storm 10 commented on though was more about how plumes these days just don't deliver widespread severe thunderstorm activity in Ireland. If you were watching the sat animation that night, the cloud tops over Ireland were simply a shade of grey rather than very well defined white tops like those seen in England (and which we get often enough non-plume events over here). This suggests that the cloud tops didn't get very high at all. So certainly not the best outcome considering the heat and humidity we had in place at the time.

Oh well, I guess it's back to Catatumbo I go for a while 😂

Cloud tops the other night were up to 10-11 km (~33-37,000 ft) and the SIGMETs for Shannom FIR had them forecast up to 40,000 ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Met Eireann mentioned yellow warnings in place from today especially for the West with thunder storms and heavy rain from tonight into tomorrow, any update on this from you guys.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I remember that SIGMET but does that cover part of the English Channel or southern Celtic Sea? Because there were no white cloud tips on the Sat images. Perhaps there were a few small white tops at times?

Convection abundant this morning here in Tralee and just after a heavy shower. Sferics showing up off the W coast and a few inland.

Just looked. It covers Ireland and an area west of it

Convection already well underway in the west. Should be plenty of heavy showers and / or storms about later

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can anyone show me an app for my Samsung Galaxy that shows lightning that covers Ireland I cant see anything off the West Coast on the usual ones

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Can anyone show me an app for my Samsung Galaxy that shows lightning that covers Ireland I cant see anything off the West Coast on the usual ones

i use netweather storm radar and blitzortung lightning apps on android, work fine but all apps have limitations.

Here are a few apps for Android. A handy feature of some of them is that you can set up an area around your location and they will push a notification to your phone when lightning occurs near by. Like having a lightning detector! Here's three :-
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.blitzortung.lightning.tracker.app&hl=en_GB
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrustonapps.mylightningtracker&hl=en_GB
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.meteoplaza.flash&hl=en_GB

I've also got Home & Dry which also sends notifications, but that's for iPhone only.
    I'm trying out the second and third ones today on my iPhone (it's available for iOS too) to see how they compare to Home & Dry. The meteoplaza app (the third one) has realtime updates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of strikes showing up now. One around north Galway area and another around Meath/Westmeath border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Some lovely convection going up today.
    And just as i write a nice bright flash and rumble.
    Also a second nice intracloud flash as it moved away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Distant thunder here in Naas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement