Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

Some rumbles of thunder, no rain, Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Dublin 15 a few minutes ago. 5 rumbles of thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Half a dozen nice rumbles over Athlone. Nice of the thunder to arrive here eventually

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deatr

Torrential rain in Skerries with at least 2 ground strikes and a good few rumbles of thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Plenty of lightening around Balbriggan;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A good tally so far today of strikes that were picked up by the ATD Lightning detector.

Netweather

LkEjEkX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A good tally so far today of strikes that were picked up by the ATD Lightning detector.

Netweather

422879.jpg

:D

https://twitter.com/chunder10/status/887430174530293766

I'd want to be carefull, I have done it myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Seen nor heard anything today.. DAM...:mad:

• Advertisement

Lightning could pop up anywhere tomorrow from early morning I think and I wonder could it keep going well into the evening in the SW.

Good Cape and lapse rates and good DLS at times and all changing and mixing with convergence throughout the day as the LP spirals over the country slowly with plenty of instability in the atmosphere.

PICBHk8.png

o2rrcD2.png

A rough guide of potential

Ai3Zqta.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Interesting forecast from Estofex for us tomorrow.

2017072206_201707201904_2_stormforecast.xml.png
    Ireland and far W-UK ...

An isolated funnel/short-lived tornado risk exists beneath the cold-core low with augmented LL CAPE. Forecast soundings look promising for a few funnel/isolated tornado events and therefore a rather broad level 1 was added for Ireland.

Today's lightning activity.

Meteociel

I742qCR.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some from Galway on Wednesday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

wow, you were close to that strike!

wow, you were close to that strike!

I never heard a clap of thunder so loud flash and bang came together

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Some from Galway on Wednesday morning

hit a house?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    hit a house?

It looked like it but in the morning saw no damage, think it hit the football pitch the far side of the house or the ESB station nearby

One hitting St Nicholas Church in the City centre, not my picture

Looking at this when I zoomed in to another picture it looks like lightning running of the roof of that house, the noise was unreal from this one, turn sideways and you can see what I mean

• Advertisement

Bit further away

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

The first photo with the bright CG strike appears to show a faint streamer in front of the house just across your street!!

glightning wrote: »
    The first photo with the bright CG strike appears to show a faint streamer in front of the house just across your street!!

That's actually the back of the house and the garden is between us, I never noticed that streamer the whole area around there must have been highly electrified during that strike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I never heard a clap of thunder so loud flash and bang came together

I don't think I live that far from you and I heard and saw that one too! First time in my life that a clap of thunder actually scared me. It sounded like something was hit, my house actually shuck, the roof creaked for a min afterwards. The lightning was a wild blue flash too, it didn't seem like normal either and it was right at the exact same moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Get ready for possible frequent lightning, torrential rain and hail in parts of west Munster and Galway, south Roscommon tonight. Radar very active just south of Shannon A. Activity will move north.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Certainly raining here in West Clare! I've already matched yesterday's rainfall of 9.6mm!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

i find it hard to believe, but my station (Vantage Vue) is showing 35.8mm for the 'day'.
    (is that the last 24hours or since midnight?)

Jaysis it's going to be a long wet day!

No sparks overnight. Just incessant heavy rain.
    Plenty more over Galway to wrap around the low for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No sparks overnight. Just incessant heavy rain. Plenty more over Galway to wrap around the low for the day.

howya Siobhan!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭The_Outsider

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    howya Siobhan!

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

lolie wrote: »
    Interesting forecast from Estofex for us tomorrow.

I'm based in Switzerland directly under that big red '2'. Am supposed to be camping tonight...may need to rethink that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement