Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

I'm based in Switzerland directly under that big red '2'. Am supposed to be camping tonight...may need to rethink that...

Looking at sat24 at night the last few weeks there's been some serious storms over Europe at night.
    Hope you made your peace:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

lolie wrote: »
    Looking at sat24 at night the last few weeks there's been some serious storms over Europe at night.
    Hope you made your peace:D

Yep, have had some really bad ones here. Weds evening I was out cycling and nearly got caught in it.

Several people had to be rescued from the lake and a small aircraft even crashed (not clear if storm related but the student and instructor managed to survie, albeit with serious injuries).

Then again, I feel lucky to see such spectacular lightning on an almost daily basis!

Some recent pictures here.

http://www.srf.ch/meteo/meteo-news/gewitterimpressionen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No sparks here either, however reached 20.0mm of rain. Current rain rate of a measly 1.2mm/hr, however was much heavier during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Colser wrote: »
    Genuinely it's unreal..hope foxyfarmer is getting pics.

Seriously closer now.

3 days late. Recorded a few mins of the lightning on tuesday night. Just got around to picking out a few pics with good lightning bolts

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

A few lighting strikes over Galway....anyone able to confirm over that way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

3 days late. Recorded a few mins of the lightning on tuesday night. Just got around to picking out a few pics with good lightning bolts

Wow, that's a fantastic catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

eastmayo wrote: »

Have not seen any but just out the back and heard thunder to my North very dark in that direction

eastmayo wrote: »

It shows up well on Sat24, really beefed up the last hour or so.
    Nice line of convection out the back of here stretching from southeast to northwest with a nice anvil in it.
    Be surprised if there's not a few sparks from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It shows up well on Sat24, really beefed up the last hour or so.
    Nice line of convection out the back of here stretching from southeast to northwest with a nice anvil in it.
    Be surprised if there's not a few sparks from it.

Another rumble to the North of Galway City but I can't see anything showing up on lightning app

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Another rumble to the North of Galway City but I can't see anything showing up on lightning app

Few on this one.
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Not surprised at the few red dots north midlands. Had some right heavy downpours through Athlone in the last couple of hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Some nice cloud formations taken in Cork City this morning.

taswex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

northgirl wrote: »
    Some nice cloud formations taken in Cork City this morning.

taswex.jpg

Been raining really heavily here too. Last night there was plenty of rain, how was it up in the northside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Been raining really heavily here too. Last night there was plenty of rain, how was it up in the northside?

I didn't hear a thing but judging by the ground it was the same here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thought there might be more in the SW today and this evening but not to be. Anyone see a Funnel I wonder or a Tornado. Very low angry looking cloud here near Tralee this evening.

Strikes that were picked up by the ATD Lightning detector today so far

ye09R7H.png?1

dNpNYmF.png?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thought there might be more in the SW today and this evening but not to be. Anyone see a Funnel I wonder or a Tornado. Very low angry looking cloud here near Tralee this evening.

Strikes that were picked up by the ATD Lightning detector today so far

ye09R7H.png?1

dNpNYmF.png?1

Here's a little cell that moved overhead here this evening at about half 6.
    Only a few small sheet flashes but plenty of rumbles though.
    Those are some of the sferics to the right of Lough sheelin in your pic.
    Didn't see any funnels but wouldn't be surprised if there was some about with the clouds that overhead earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Gorgeous sunset here in portrait. Not seen more than a sprinkle of rain all day.:)

Here's a little cell that moved overhead here this evening at about half 6.

A Beaut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Spotted this little feature a short while ago. Appears to be a small funnel. I watched it for a few moments and it definitely appeared to be trying to extend a condensation funnel further than shown in the photo before dissipating. Purely accidental spotting after coming out of a shop and immediately being drawn to it as it was pretty well defined.

423029.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looked like some convection over the Dublin/Wicklow Mountains this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

A very elevated thundery look to the sky here in Kildare

Sky is absolutely ablaze again here this evening in central Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Sky is absolutely ablaze again here this evening in central Switzerland.

Am I jealous? Hell yeah :D

xconvmap_230717.png.pagespeed.ic.R8-s1R025U.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Risk. In this case it's zero.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Am I jealous? Hell yeah :D

Here's a still from a video I took, will try to upload it later:

ReXF9cl.png

Also, a link from Swiss news on the extent of the lightning last night

http://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/erneut-ziehen-starke-gewitter-ueber-die-schweiz

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Psychologeeee

Here's a still from a video I took, will try to upload it later:

Also, a link from Swiss news on the extent of the lightning last night

http://www.srf.ch/news/schweiz/erneut-ziehen-starke-gewitter-ueber-die-schweiz

looks amazing!

• Advertisement

So the W and NW and N a possibility for thunderstorms tomorrow. After the main frontal rain has gone through big showers are showing up on the prediction charts from the afternoon into the evening when it looks like the best time for activity. Wouldn't be surprised to see some in the midlands also .

Parameters good if not all lining up in the same area but potential nonetheless.

tempresult_ucl6.gif

dbtYLP7.png

kbJ1ufR.png

tltSDUf.png

ConvectiveWeather.co.uk

viJB80y.png

Day 2 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Wed 26 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Thu 27 Jul 2017

ISSUED 17:49 UTC Tue 25 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

... NORTHERN ISLES ...

Upper vortex on Wednesday morning and associated steep mid-level lapse rates may provide the focus for some showery precipitation with perhaps embedded lightning. This risk will generally decrease by late morning as main Atlantic frontal system rapidly approaches from the west.

... SCOTLAND / NORTHERN IRELAND / N + W EIRE ...
    In the post-frontal environment, the passage of a pronounced shortwave trough during the afternoon and early evening will provide the focus for an increase in coverage of showers and a few thunderstorms as cool air aloft markedly steepens mid-level lapse rates - beginning in W Connaught / W Ulster mid afternoon, then spreading ENE towards SW Scotland during the evening. Strong DLS and notable LLS could allow convection to become well-organised, at least for a time, with potential for strong, gusty winds and perhaps a tornado. Hail with diameter up to 1.5cm will also be possible.

Showers will continue overnight, though with lapse rates looking less impressive and so lightning will be more isolated / sporadic - the risk then extending towards W/SW Ireland later in the night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement