Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A shortwave heading straight out of Greenland and passing over the country on Tues similar to the one that produced a large amount of thunderstorms in the UK last Sat. This one's core at present grazing the SW and moving fairly lively. Will it produce thunderstorms ?

APMNM4o.gif?1

Z854yzK.png?1

5aZPjpB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

What ? Possible TS around Dingle ? ... That cannot be true :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

weisses wrote: »
    What ? Possible TS around Dingle ? ... That cannot be true :cool:

I remember one of the biggest thunderstorms I have ever experienced was in Dingle back in 1989 or 1990 , perhaps early summer. Constant lightning and deafening crackling thunder with huge downdrafts. In our naivety myself and my friend were standing outside the house having a great laugh at our hair standing on end with the static in the air, little did we know how dangerous that was ! Heard afterwards there was a lot of cattle killed in fields nearby. First time I ever got that sulpher like smell in the air from the lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

I remember one of the biggest thunderstorms I have ever experienced was in Dingle back in 1989 or 1990 , perhaps early summer. Constant lightning and deafening crackling thunder with huge downdrafts. In our naivety myself and my friend were standing outside the house having a great laugh at our hair standing on end with the static in the air, little did we know how dangerous that was ! Heard afterwards there was a lot of cattle killed in fields nearby. First time I ever got that sulpher like smell in the air from the lightning.

First time ive ever experienced that sulphur smell from lightning was last year near Ballivor Co Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I was near a lamppost hit by lightning 30 years ago. I got a smell of hydrogen sulphide too. But it was from me, not the Lightning...:o. :D

• Advertisement

Still looking interesting for Tues kaf0cVL.png?1

tMdyyAk.png

vk2T2vY.png

Met Eireann mentioning risk of thunder in the South tomorrow.

Convective weather giving a low risk for Ireland and mentioning The deepest convection will likely be found over SW Ireland with closest proximity to upper vortex, though this possibly moving through slightly out of sync with the diurnal cycle perhaps.

tempresult_zhv7.gif

tempresult_pvg4.gif

1ml2Kzq.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent strike south of Athlone and one off west Mayo .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Moderate hail here in the last shower in West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent strike a few miles west of Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

A couple of nice booms in Cork city in last 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Aglomerado wrote: »

I haven't heard a thing.😭

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Colser wrote: »
    I haven't heard a thing.��

Blackrock to be specific! (Sorry) :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Confirming at least one loud clap of thunder in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Aglomerado wrote: »

I'm hearing a few in Rochestown :)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Heard a loud one just now in Owenahincha, West Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Thunder in Tuam; yet the sun splitting the stones!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Yes bubbling away nicely over south / Kinsale coast...
    Looks nice a sunny to the west.. but black to the east!

424617.jpg

424618.jpg

Tazio wrote: »
    Yes bubbling away nicely over south / Kinsale coast...
    Looks nice a sunny to the west.. but black to the east!

424617.jpg

424618.jpg
    Same here, dark to the east, sunny to the west. Clouds seem to be blowing in a southerly direction, at least they are here :)

Very heavy hail shower to report here, assuming the storm is moving down at this stage. Coming from the north, which is very weird, very rare seeing rain/hail hitting the back of the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Recent strike south of Athlone and one off west Mayo .

The rain from that cell that went through Athlone was biblical.

Another really nice looking cell going over us now. No booms, but hopefully people south of us will get something

Convective weather predicted well today

uFFgFZd.png

L69Ugmi.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sligo Pilgrim

Not a regular poster but...our family is on holidays in Italy, across the lagoon from Venice in Marina de Venezia (down the beach from Lido de Jesola). We have just come through a terrifying experience as a very violent storm ripped through a beach bar at 4pm today, from which we were watching some dramatic lightning.

I had been following an explosively developing storm on satellite all day and misunderstood the level of danger that might emerge!

Went from perfect calm to winds strong enough to lift and blast out all the furniture and throw glass around and rip the canopies down. The five of us (inc three kids under 13) rushed to huddle with the other customers behind the concrete part of the building (no roof) for what seemed like an eternity until the violent winds passed (as quickly as they started). Really felt like the whole structure was going to lift off at times. We all thought our number was up at one stage.

A narrow path of destruction was wrought through the campsite (200 m wide). Hundreds of trees down, cars and mobile homes with trees through roofs. We are all ok but a bit shaken. Hope we can say same for others. I understand there are several injuries in local area. Took over an hour for authorities to make way to site due to trees down.

Newspapers saying that a number of tornados were spawned on these beaches by the front. We are feeling lucky tonight I can tell you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Storm 10 wrote: »

All I see is blue skies and sunshine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

degsie wrote: »
    All I see is blue skies and sunshine! :)

Bit behind the times it was last night but I get your sarcism

Keeping an eye on the negative tilted trough predicted for the W of Ireland on Mon and later to traverse the country. IMO early indications showing a possibility of some lightning as the upper air becomes unstable introducing cold mid and upper level temperatures over warm SST's and at present charts are showing the potential for decent enough DLS and lapse rates coupled with diurnal heating inland post front around the afternoon. Will be interesting to see if the front will clear early enough to allow sufficient heating over land to add to the mix.

RaWWMJm.gif?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Some nasty looking storms moving up through eastern Europe.
    http://en.sat24.com/en

• Advertisement

Met Eireann saying chance of thundery showers in the W later today / tonight especially in the W.

Tomorrow looks like potential for thunderstorms with good CAPE , Lapse Rates and plenty of DLS which is often missing from the mix. Good convergence also. Will there be embedded thunderstorms along the passage of the cold front or after, could we get some straight line winds ?

FWy3tf1.gif?1

6ZqvFmZ.png

5danCbS.png

8zj7klg.png

mVK8Rbt.png

pmDVWw0.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement