Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe some more action to come for Dublin/North Wicklow this evening. Chance of a cell or two building that direction from the south.

Bulk of activity always further north though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Definite squall line trying to develop west of the shannon right now on the radar.

No thunder or lightning in Athlone yet, but the lights dimming on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Further cells breaking out further south.

I'd say anywhere north of a line 'Wexford to Kerry' is in for a chance for thunder this evening

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Not a drop of rain here in Tralee today. Parts of the W, NW and N could get some lightning in a couple of hours with some strong CAPE and DLS showing.

XUcyrWG.png

dGgqPFS.png

5Khmt1p.png

GyZpeHJ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rikand wrote: »
    Definite squall line trying to develop west of the shannon right now on the radar.

More a line of convergence then a squall Rikand. I'd say plenty of water underneath that line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Bad accident on M1 heading north at Jcn 5. Tailbacks to Dublin airport. Accident believed to have occurred in a downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Absolutely epic thunder storm here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Redriddick wrote: »
    Absolutely epic thunder storm here!!!

HERE IS WHERE :confused::P

Just north of Rikand. Castlerea

• Advertisement

Redriddick wrote: »
    Just north of Rikand. Castlerea

Feck. Its all going to miss Athlone.... As usual ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Originally Posted by Rikand View Post

More a line of convergence then a squall Rikand. I'd say plenty of water underneath that line

Around Sligo could get lively soon.

frp5W0q.jpg?2

LzxxFvF.png?1

JVMuzVm.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

pad199207 wrote: »

Went East of us thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

No such luck in Ballymount earlier. The sky looked quite threatening for a good while. There was a shower earlier, but nothing to write home about. The lights in the office did flicker a few times in the evening, but no evidence of lightning in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Went East of us thankfully

Down with that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

koutoubia wrote: »
    North County Dublin .
    Two massive Bangs ....followed 5 seconds later by a serious wallop of lightning.
    A couple of rumbles to the south - Airport direction.

At least 4 strikes in Clonshaugh. About 1 minute apart. Scared the bejazus out of my daughter on the road. First one was very close. I seen the fork and tried to record but of course it stopped then.
    Is it safe to leave the little one out playing? Genuine question.

Edit:an hour ago. Traffic lights out at northside shopping centre afterwards.

In the dark here lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rescue 118 just departed UHG for Sligo , heading towards Sligo and being warned of Thunderstorm activity on his track Sligo tower reporting nearby lightning but not over the field

Looks like lightning going to keep going for a few hours at least in Northern counties. Convective Weather upgraded there forecast for Northern areas.

tempresult_cly6.gif

QbIsHkO.png

ISSUED BY: Dan

UPDATE 14:25 UTC Adjustments made to existing SLGT and LOW threat levels to expand the elevated thunderstorm risk farther south overnight, while a MDT has been introduced to highlight areas where elevated thunderstorms seem most likely (while acknowledging greater instability is found farther south). In general, high-res guidance continues to suggest increasing covering of thunderstorms from mid-evening over Northern Ireland into western fringes of Scotland and the Hebrides

Giving it loads again here now!!
    Electricity gone and esb have a load of faults on the map

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

4 lightning strikes here in the last few minutes.

pad199207 wrote: »

I can confirm the presence of buckets of water underneath that.

The thunder has appeared to have skirted me, just heard a couple of distant rumbles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

iamtony wrote: »
    Is it safe to leave the little one out playing? Genuine question.

The rule of thumb is: Going outside is safe if more than half an hour has elapsed after the last thunder. That's from the NOAA. I'll be following that advice in future as myself and my daughter got a similar scare on the road an hour ago. A weak strike hit maybe 20 metres from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Quite a few long rumbles and flashes here in S. E. Sligo right now , just home from shopping in Carrick on shannon and the rain there was intense and many places starting to flood especially on N4 north of the town. The river in Ballyfarnon has broken its banks and fields alongside under water. The Shannon is quite high already but when all this rain gets into it there could be more problems.

More thunder.

And 12 more strikes in past minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

beautiful clear evening with a lovely sunset here in cork city. Total opposite of what you guys are getting! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

From met.ie latest. Roads must be flooded up there.
    MALIN HEAD(A) E 21 HEAVY RAIN 17 95 15.0 1009

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

beautiful clear evening with a lovely sunset here in cork city. Total opposite of what you guys are getting! :P

Just home from collecting my daughter. Stunning sky alright - absolutely beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I am working in Derry this evebning, few considerable bangs and flashes ongoing here, heavy rain, easing off now maybe?
    Went to top floor of building, theatre building, reasonably high, saw some good strikes but no pics sadly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement