Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some very bad flooding, rain, lightning up here along the NW.

I drove from North Donegal to Derry earlier, and some of the worst rain I've ever driven in.
    Lot of areas of Derry very badly flooded.

Still raining as of 10pm, but seems to be easing off.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

Is the volume of thunder decided by the width of the lightning..? 🀔

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Just started raining again with thunder. My grannies house is flooded.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Just started raining again with thunder. My grannies house is flooded.

much damage?

• Advertisement

Um so a burn goes by their house. The water has just reached the bottom of their steps and rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Um so a burn goes by their house. The water has just reached the bottom of their steps and rising.

disaster, best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,065 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

beautiful clear evening with a lovely sunset here in cork city. Total opposite of what you guys are getting! :P

Lovely evening in Clifden as well, and no rain apart from brief spells of drizzle in the morning, quite a contrast to yesterday.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Record of sferics so far today.

nXg7qch.gif

D4CHChY.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Great lightning show Co Antrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Lots of lightning flashing away here at the moment - wonderful to watch. No thunder strangely just a great light show!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Can see faint flashes up north from here.
    Only had 1 flash overhead here today with a nice loud crack of thunder.

I keep getting flashes close to me with no Thunder aswell, what's that all about?

Mac_ wrote: »
    Great lightning show Co Antrim.

We had the best of it.

Please remember that for all the light shows and impressive amount of rain, many folk will have had serious damage done to cars and property tonight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I keep getting flashes close to me with no Thunder aswell, what's that all about?

I believe it was forecast for elevated thunderstorms in Northern counties and moving off shore tonight . With these you can often see lightning from very far away and not hear the thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Anyone know the forecast for the west this weekend into early next week.....don't say rain:)

I believe it was forecast for elevated thunderstorms in Northern counties and moving off shore tonight . With these you can often see lightning from very far away and not hear the thunder.

Nope, the lightning is above me and near me. My lamp keeps flashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was in Spain one time and there was lots of lightning no thunder and no rain, always thought you get the bang after the flash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Anyone know the forecast for the west this weekend into early next week.....don't say rain:)

Just a bit off topic. According to present models Sunday daytime looks fair and mainly dry. Becoming wet and windy at night and into Monday morning. With warm air in the mix I can't rule out a bit of thunder in the mix.

Some serious damage up here in the NW tonight.

Reports that the old Cockhill Bridge in Buncrana, which has been up for many many decadesm has collapsed. The new one is in the progress of being built.

In Muff village, the petrol stations oil tanks have flooded and the water around the entrance to the village is contaminated with fuel.

Many areas of Derry city badly flooded.

Heard reports that some villages more or less cut off - Burnfoot, Clonmany.

Many folk without electricity.

An area W /NW of Ireland might produce some sporadic thunderstorms during the early hours. If they materialize they would be mainly over the sea and maybe one or two closer to the coast. Cold air aloft spreading over warm SST's.

uotHqhC.png

JWr4dxz.png

ccNi5BA.png

xh0NV0g.png

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Here at my location in Co.Antrim we had around two hours of lightning which initially didn't have much in the way of loud thunder as it started but soon had very loud thunder with big CG's locally. Some real explosion type thunder claps this evening. A good storm all in all!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was in Spain one time and there was lots of lightning no thunder and no rain, always thought you get the bang after the flash

Had the same in Majorca one year. The whole sky was illuminated with lightning for hours, not a single clap of thunder

Well I can see the Lightning over Antrim and I am hearing nothing. It is only 20 miles away.

You must be in South Antrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just a bit off topic. According to present models Sunday daytime looks fair and mainly dry. Becoming wet and windy at night and into Monday morning. With warm air in the mix I can't rule out a bit of thunder in the mix.

At least you didn't say rain :D

Heard thunder in the city centre about 530 this evening. I'm told there was a streak of lightening across the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

glightning wrote: »
    Here at my location in Co.Antrim we had around two hours of lightning which initially didn't have much in the way of loud thunder as it started but soon had very loud thunder with big CG's locally. Some real explosion type thunder claps this evening. A good storm all in all!
    Yep pretty amazing stuff. We had one strike far too close for comfort. Huge flash and instant thunder sounding more like a bomb going off which knocked the power out for a couple of hours. Storm now moving off into Irish Sea but still producing frequent sheet lightning.
    We'll done to Met Eireann and Met Office, the warnings issued earlierwere spot on for this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭glightning

Well I can see the Lightning over Antrim and I am hearing nothing. It is only 20 miles away.

You must be in South Antrim.

Yes, south Antrim on border with Co.Armagh (Moira area).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Media reports significant storm damage in many parts of north Ulster including Donegal. Several bridges are reported to have been swept away.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0823/899334-weather-flooding/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41019610

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement