Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Yeah, general use the Icelandic source and also "Home and Dry" on the iPhone. Thanks for the other links

Obviously all the activity is currently west of Donegal. Does anyone think that activity might fire further inland later this evening? I was able to see the Donegal anvils from here in Co.Antrim earlier, but would love something to fire further east later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Dublin been left out...Le sigh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Trebor176

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Dublin been left out...Le sigh!!

Don't give up hope just yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

What a waste of activity off the NW Coast

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pad199207 wrote: »
    What a waste of activity off the NW Coast

Yea, All been grown in the West only to mature out to sea

A7qk9ro.png

Still firing away , last two hours

K90y9L9.png?1

Yea, All been grown in the West only to mature out to sea

A7qk9ro.png

Still firing away , last two hours

K90y9L9.png?1

Just shows the sea temperatures are still fueling the storms

I reckon it's just the beginning. During the night and into tomorrow may be a bit more interesting. Unless things have changed!

I know exactly what's going to happen just like every f#*kn time

Storms off the west coast and impressive storms up the Irish Sea!

• Advertisement

Remember last June? Probably the worst example I've ever seen of what you describe. Lifted indexes approaching -10.
    Intense storms fire off the Donegal coast in the evening and we all sat in front of our screens and scanning skies thinking this must be it. Storms of a lifetime.
    Except, nothing wanted to fire over Ireland.... And we all eventually headed off to bed,
    Wake up at 7am the next morning and check the sat image. Oh my god. The entire Irish Sea covered in three huge MCS systems moving towards Scotland....
    Check the lightning charts and find biblical proportions of lightning has occurred with one HUGE whole in the middle of it all, and you can guess what shape that was? Yes, a map of Ireland :-(

There are a good few recent strikes just on the edge of northwest France. Perhaps these could end up pushing northwards towards the UK?

As for the strikes off the coast of Donegal, these appear to be heading northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

glightning wrote: »
    Remember last June? Probably the worst example I've ever seen of what you describe. Lifted indexes approaching -10.
    Intense storms fire off the Donegal coast in the evening and we all sat in front of our screens and scanning skies thinking this must be it. Storms of a lifetime.
    Except, nothing wanted to fire over Ireland.... And we all eventually headed off to bed,
    Wake up at 7am the next morning and check the sat image. Oh my god. The entire Irish Sea covered in three huge MCS systems moving towards Scotland....
    Check the lightning charts and find biblical proportions of lightning has occurred with one HUGE whole in the middle of it all, and you can guess what shape that was? Yes, a map of Ireland :-(

It was late July, and it was sickening! Here's the strike chart for that 24hrs.

frwv1UF.jpg

I found it posted on this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057576799&page=103

Rougies wrote: »

frwv1UF.jpg

I found it posted on this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057576799&page=103

''Twas the stuff of nightmares!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Why in these situations are thunderstorms always developing out to sea in Ireland,yet always land based on the continent,all the muggyness flushed away now,in west Mayo,horrible cool damp night,no thunder today,just boring old rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Why in these situations are thunderstorms always developing out to sea in Ireland,yet always land based on the continent,all the muggyness flushed away now,in west Mayo,horrible cool damp night,no thunder today,just boring old rain.

glightning wrote: »
    Wake up at 7am the next morning and check the sat image. Oh my god. The entire Irish Sea covered in three huge MCS systems moving towards Scotland....

frwv1UF.jpg

That's the one. Literally the biggest bust we could ever have to be honest. Makes me sick 😩😫😭

...pains me to see that chart again........

Plymouth would be a good place to be right now if you like lightning.

I can't find any decent webcams.

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#y=50.2743;x=-3.9691;z=8;t=3;m=sat;r=0;s=0;o=0;b=0.00;n=0;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

The storm off Plymouth is the craziest I have ever seen on the lightning maps!

• Advertisement

If things go well that could well be headin for the east coast of ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Plymouth is unreal, some sparks on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

frwv1UF.jpg

It was amazing in Castlebar, well over 100 strikes and was very slow moving, most intense storm in any country I have seen personally, the rain was near biblical as well.

Going by the radar the area of storms in SW UK Is headin straight for E Ireland

If things go well that could well be headin for the east coast of ireland!

Not a chance of that hitting us unfortunately.

Not a chance of that hitting us unfortunately.

It will be close. It's heading NW. These storms have a mind of their own. It's expanding rapidly

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

It will be close. It's heading NW. These storms have a mind of their own. It's expanding rapidly

Is it worth staying up for .....??

kittyn wrote: »
    Is it worth staying up for .....??

It will be daylight hours before any of it makes it here kittyn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Rougies wrote:
    Plymouth would be a good place to be right now if you like lightning.

That looks epic! Its humid as balls in NW right now.. need something to break it!

• Advertisement

It's turning into a beast alright, but it's heading more NE than NW. I was hoping some of it's siblings might throw a tantrum on it's western flank but of course they decided to flare up on the eastern side lighting up the English Channel instead.

In saying that, I just spotted some hope in the Celtic sea. Feck, I've been through this before I just want to sleep!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement